Header image

Have prices peaked? Where are they going?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Taffius
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: Have prices peaked? Where are they going?

Postby Taffius » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:56 am

I also doubt that any bubble will burst whilst the movies roll out because like me, a rekindled calling is appealing.
TV spin offs and other merchandise will carry the momentum too I think.

So what will be the factors for drops in price?

chrisfnx
Regular
Regular

Postby chrisfnx » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 pm

Speaking to fellow collectors, I think perhaps that prices could stabilise or maybe decrease as people who grew up with the toys etc start to die off. Hopefully younger generations will still want to collect vintage items, even if they don’t have a nostalgia towards them. My nephews like them, whether or not they would collect them as adults, I don’t know. I’m sure they will always have a value, as more and more films keep getting released.

stu70
New User
New User

Postby stu70 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 pm

chrisfnx wrote:Speaking to fellow collectors, I think perhaps that prices could stabilise or maybe decrease as people who grew up with the toys etc start to die off

I grew up with the toys, and at 47 I hope I've got a few years left yet!

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:04 pm

I don't know whether they've peaked but there are certainly some insane people around. I've just seen a black Endor blaster on a Facebook auction at £81 and rising! :shock: A tiny plastic gun! Several years ago these accessories were being passed around for a few pounds each. As long as the demand continues to outweigh the supply some people will continue to spend daft money on things. I would never spend that sort of money on an accessory and if it means my figure is incomplete then so be it.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:09 pm

jared007 wrote:As an intermission to this discussion and to give some hope for prices to come down, here's a slide I put together for my celebration panel in 2016 that shows the rise and fall of boxed 12 inch figures over a 15 year period (based on guide prices from various guides through the years). The moral - what goes up must come down ... eventually. But no one knows the *eventually* until it happens.

Slide29.JPG

Here's the same idea done with loose complete first 12 figures for the same period.

Slide28.JPG

Here was the state of things at mid 2016 for loose complete first 12 figures based on previous 3 years of Star Wars Tracker data. Clearly still rising. I need to update this graph to see how it has continued since then ...

Slide11.JPG

What are your thoughts on MOC do you think that will drop also?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

jared007
Regular
Regular

Postby jared007 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:55 pm

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:What are your thoughts on MOC do you think that will drop also?

I've actually been back in amongst it buying MOC again after a 2 year break or so. I see quite good deals out there if you have the patience to hunt for them. So yes, I think in some cases prices have already been dropping.
Digital vintage price guide and portfolio system: http://www.starwarstracker.com

jared007
Regular
Regular

Postby jared007 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Taffius wrote:Jared, great data. Are plans to run graphs like this within the Tracker app?

Be great to get a snapshot now to see where loose and carded figures are post TLJ and Solo/next episode?

Well, you can already do this sort of thing in the desktop version. All depends on the kind of question you have, and you can pretty much do your own data mining. I had some specific questions for the Celebration panel, so just made it look a bit more presentable
Digital vintage price guide and portfolio system: http://www.starwarstracker.com

chrisfnx
Regular
Regular

Postby chrisfnx » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:55 pm

stu70 wrote:
chrisfnx wrote:Speaking to fellow collectors, I think perhaps that prices could stabilise or maybe decrease as people who grew up with the toys etc start to die off

I grew up with the toys, and at 47 I hope I've got a few years left yet!

Same here, I did too. What I meant was in the future, 40 years down the line

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:33 pm

jared007 wrote:
Wreck-It Ralph wrote:What are your thoughts on MOC do you think that will drop also?

I've actually been back in amongst it buying MOC again after a 2 year break or so. I see quite good deals out there if you have the patience to hunt for them. So yes, I think in some cases prices have already been dropping.

What do you think will happen with prices when the collectors like us (people that actually played with these toys as children) have moved on? Comics have continued to rise in price even though the collectors that bought them as Children are no longer around will Star Wars be the same or nosedive?

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Taffius
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Taffius » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:47 pm

jared007 wrote:
Taffius wrote:Jared, great data. Are plans to run graphs like this within the Tracker app?

Be great to get a snapshot now to see where loose and carded figures are post TLJ and Solo/next episode?

Well, you can already do this sort of thing in the desktop version. All depends on the kind of question you have, and you can pretty much do your own data mining. I had some specific questions for the Celebration panel, so just made it look a bit more presentable

Thanks Jared. I will have a look now - keep forgetting about my version on my surface pro! :oops:

TrooperWill
New User
New User

Postby TrooperWill » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:43 pm

What do you think will happen with prices when the collectors like us (people that actually played with these toys as children) have moved on? Comics have continued to rise in price even though the collectors that bought them as Children are no longer around will Star Wars be the same or nosedive?

its worth mentioning im 25, i guess im a second generation collector, or third generation if you see its as:
first: the kids who were lucky enough to buy and play with the toys new
second:those who started collecting during "the dark times" of the nineties when star wars was dead
third:those, myself included who started collecting since the prequels newer films released, driving all this hype everyone is talking about.

i like to think i have at least 60 years in me yet, which should give me plenty of time to track down the last eleven loose figures i need at non mental prices and start on the ships and play sets. i have no plans to stop collecting or change my area of interest, and have been collecting six or seven years, since my late teens. so no, i don't think once the older collectors start dropping like flies or put in homes it'll go back to nineties prices since the next generation will keep going. just my ten pence
I prefer trading items to buying them, have a loose run, about half the ships/vehicles and all the mini-rigs, spent under £200 and have had a blast doing so. This hobby doesn't have to be about spending a mortgage deposit every month on one item

Taffius
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Taffius » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Will we see a drop in all types of Star Wars sales everywhere?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43300087

BBC report above reflects a drop in profits for Lego. Why is this related to SW I hear you say? Well a "global toy analyst (a Ms Tutt)" claims that:

"...in 2017 there "was a bit too much of Star Wars, not just in Lego, but everywhere", she says. After three years of successive marketing the market was slightly saturated, she says."

Standby to pick up all those bargains everyone! :lol:

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:56 pm

Taffius wrote:Will we see a drop in all types of Star Wars sales everywhere?

BBC report above reflects a drop in profits for Lego. Why is this related to SW I hear you say? Well a "global toy analyst (a Ms Tutt)" claims that:

"...in 2017 there "was a bit too much of Star Wars, not just in Lego, but everywhere", she says. After three years of successive marketing the market was slightly saturated, she says."

BBC, or as I like to call them Blatant Bull Crap. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

jedisearcher
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby jedisearcher » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:31 pm

Taffius wrote:Will we see a drop in all types of Star Wars sales everywhere?

Re Lego, I think it’s more about over-saturation of uninspiring re-released sets over and over again as opposed to anything else. Take a look at the BB8 / Scout Walker set from episode 8, it’s crazy overpriced for a tiny set. But the quality sets and Lego generally still sells really well.

As for vintage stuff, prices were due to level of but too many people are way too heavily invested in the prices they paid for things to allow a big sell off. There just aren’t enough desperate sellers :lol:

More stock hitting the market will affect price, I foresee a huge fall in Pali 20 Walrusman values shortly :lol: :lol:
WTB thread - most Palitoy 30b's and 3 debut 45a's: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17224

Memories from a 1980s Toy Shop: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24289

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:32 pm

I think it is impossible to say if prices have peaked yet as it depends what you collect. I currently collect Palitoy 12 - 45A back and there is nothing for sale and without sales how can you determine whether prices have peaked or not. I have spoken to another collector who is contemplating exiting collecting as he no longer considers himself a collector due to the fact there is nothing to buy. I am starting to switch my attentions to comics as I find Palitoy collecting very frustrating and waiting years to buy one piece is not my idea of fun. Comics maybe expensive but at least they are available. I guess if myself and other collectors like me go down this path then eventually prices may drop unless new collectors come in to replace us.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”