Header image

Where do you buy Rare MOC?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Where do you buy Rare MOC?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:44 am

When looking for MOC pieces I need, I currently look on ebay, Vectis, SWFUK, Rebelscum, sales room, Brian's Toys, Dallas vintage toys, private dealers and I just added Jabbas Palace to Star Wars Tracker which I think gives me auction notifications. Is there anywhere else I should be looking?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Taffius
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Where do you buy Rare MOC?

Postby Taffius » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:21 am

Few more for you:
Echo base, cloud city, yavin 4, toys of tatooine.

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:31 am

Nick Dykes and 80’s Collector (his username here, his real name escapes me at the minute) but given your tastes I assume you already know them
"U grade for sale"
Translation: If it was legal my grandmother would be living on dialysis so that I could harvest and sell her kidneys.

Palitoyman
Regular
Regular

Postby Palitoyman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:51 am

In order to buy rare MOC's I find that my best way is through other collectors who know other collectors etc, when you build up contacts in this game it is worth its weight in gold, the majority of rare items I have got has come through contacts and people helping me out as I've done with them.

When I got my Palitoy 30 back Yoda, AFA 80, late on last year I had no idea about it until a friend I know in collecting was good enough to inform me as he knew I needed that figure to complete my Palitoy 30 back B graded run, going on ebay etc is fine but nothing much comes up, only from time to time and every man and his dog knows about it.

So, where do you buy rare Moc's, my answer would be from other collectors who decide to sell and inform you, this hobby is about building friendships and trust but most importantly having a good and fair reputation, thankfully I have and that's why people help me along the way.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Taffius wrote:Few more for you:
Echo base, cloud city, yavin 4, toys of tatooine.

Thanks I will check those out.

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:14 pm

lejackal wrote:Nick Dykes and 80’s Collector (his username here, his real name escapes me at the minute) but given your tastes I assume you already know them

Thanks, yes I already know Nick and have met 80's collector (Ian I think) once in a toyfair.

palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby palitoyjunky » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:15 pm

Well I picked up all mine from “The Rare MOC Shop” :!: :lol:

Seriously though I think u have covered most sources. Prob is the die hard collectors now own most of what exists so it’s a case of the people that value these pieces the most r the ones who possess them hence why it is a real battle to acquire them :!:

Most of my success came from networking and building good friendships like “Palitoyman” says :wink:
Looking for mint sealed or unused Palitoy Empire.

peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby peekaygee73 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:45 pm

As others have said it's about building up relationships with other collectors. They'll know who has what and will be in touch with others which will allow you to increase your network. As with many things in this hobby it takes time and patience. Or, if you have it, an obscene amount of money; but where's the fun in that?

Alltooeasy
Regular
Regular

Postby Alltooeasy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Would the mentioned places sell mint loose also or only moc?

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:17 pm

peekaygee73 wrote:Or, if you have it, an obscene amount of money; but where's the fun in that?

I can think of 1000 things to do for fun with an obscene amount of money. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby peekaygee73 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:27 pm

subzero wrote:
peekaygee73 wrote:Or, if you have it, an obscene amount of money; but where's the fun in that?

Absolutely! But the most fun part for me in vintage SW collecting is hunting down the items I want. I think if I had the money to buy whatever I wanted I'd get bored of it pretty quickly.

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:42 pm

peekaygee73 wrote:
subzero wrote:

Absolutely! But the most fun part for me in vintage SW collecting is hunting down the items I want. I think if I had the money to buy whatever I wanted I'd get bored of it pretty quickly.

Nah in all fairness that's completely true, everything you own wouldn't mean anything, it actually would take the fun out of it. All of the effort, time and hard work spent on accumulating a collection means so much more than just being able to click a finger and get whatever you want.

Something iv'e always said is if I won the lottery life would become boring, there'd be no challenge to anything or a thrill in making money off an item, or working hard for the satisfaction of eventually being able to buy something. Which is probably why rich people eventually turn to hookers and cocaine. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

jared007
Regular
Regular

Postby jared007 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:22 pm

As others have said, the rare stuff you probably need to go networking. Otherwise you are covering a good number of avenues - more than most people do I'd say!
Digital vintage price guide and portfolio system: http://www.starwarstracker.com

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Everywhere. This week I won something rare on eBay hiding in plain sight, I'll post it in the limelight thread when it arrives. You really need to scan everywhere.

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:06 pm

I don’t :lol:

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”