Header image

Where do you buy Rare MOC?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
StarWarsFan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: Where do you buy Rare MOC?

Postby StarWarsFan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Toy fairs, eBay, private collectors.

StarWarsFan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby StarWarsFan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:00 pm

edd_jedi wrote:Everywhere. This week I won something rare on eBay hiding in plain sight, I'll post it in the limelight thread when it arrives. You really need to scan everywhere.

What did you find Ed?

Burto
New User
New User

Postby Burto » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:06 pm

Palitoyman wrote:In order to buy rare MOC's I find that my best way is through other collectors who know other collectors etc, when you build up contacts in this game it is worth its weight in gold, the majority of rare items I have got has come through contacts and people helping me out as I've done with them.

When I got my Palitoy 30 back Yoda, AFA 80, late on last year I had no idea about it until a friend I know in collecting was good enough to inform me as he knew I needed that figure to complete my Palitoy 30 back B graded run, going on ebay etc is fine but nothing much comes up, only from time to time and every man and his dog knows about it.

So, where do you buy rare Moc's, my answer would be from other collectors who decide to sell and inform you, this hobby is about building friendships and trust but most importantly having a good and fair reputation, thankfully I have and that's why people help me along the way.

As he says, your talking about items that exist in very small quantities and the demand for them is huge, plus most are locked away.

Networking with other collectors, being relationships ect us defo the best way to go for what you are after

wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby wrighty » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:13 am

Thought there are on the top shelve in Toys R Us!! :lol:

Like others say having the right connection is key, rare items exchange hands without any public knowledge.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Thanks for all you responses.

Looks like I will have to improve my networking skills as to date they have been poor.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:55 am

jared007 wrote:As others have said, the rare stuff you probably need to go networking. Otherwise you are covering a good number of avenues - more than most people do I'd say!

Do you have to use Facebook for Jabba's Palace to work on Star Wars Tracker? What Auctions does it track?

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:03 am

edd_jedi wrote:Everywhere. This week I won something rare on eBay hiding in plain sight, I'll post it in the limelight thread when it arrives. You really need to scan everywhere.

Oooh the suspense! :wink:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby wrighty » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:41 am

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:Thanks for all you responses.

Looks like I will have to improve my networking skills as to date they have been poor.

You will more likely to succeed in networking on forums with old timers, show offs on FB are usually newbies and they may or may not have the rare items you want. Locating the item is easy doing a deal for sale or trade is difficult. I know someone that was in discussion on a piece for 3 years before a deal was done, if you don't have patience then I suggest changing hobbies. :lol:

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:01 am

StarWarsFan wrote:What did you find Ed?

Just posted it in the LA thread :)

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:38 pm

wrighty wrote:
Wreck-It Ralph wrote:Thanks for all you responses.

You will more likely to succeed in networking on forums with old timers, show offs on FB are usually newbies and they may or may not have the rare items you want. Locating the item is easy doing a deal for sale or trade is difficult. I know someone that was in discussion on a piece for 3 years before a deal was done, if you don't have patience then I suggest changing hobbies. :lol:

I guess I have been lucky with all of my deals/purchases so far as they have taken weeks or sometimes days so patience has not been an issue for me. I have accepted I will have to be patient for certain items like 30 Back Fett as they are so rarely available for sale.

3 years seems like a very long time, why do you think it took so long?

theguiltyone
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby theguiltyone » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:[I guess I have been lucky with all of my deals/purchases so far as they have taken weeks or sometimes days so patience has not been an issue for me. I have accepted I will have to be patient for certain items like 30 Back Fett as they are so rarely available for sale.

In the grand scheme of things, 3 years is nothing!
You just ain't earned it yet.

Heith
Regular
Regular

Postby Heith » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Can someone give me a link to the Jabbas palace auction page please?, can’t for the long fe of me find it no matter what I put in the search bar on Facebook , thanks

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:06 pm

3 years?....

With me it's 3 hours and then like Duncan Bannatyne says, "i'm out!" :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:17 pm

Heith wrote:Can someone give me a link to the Jabbas palace auction page please?, can’t for the long fe of me find it no matter what I put in the search bar on Facebook , thanks

My page always auto loads, so I have just typed “jabba’s palace” in and the page links no problem.
Are you missing out the apostrophe?

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:36 pm

theguiltyone wrote:
Wreck-It Ralph wrote:[I guess I have been lucky with all of my deals/purchases so far as they have taken weeks or sometimes days so patience has not been an issue for me. I have accepted I will have to be patient for certain items like 30 Back Fett as they are so rarely available for sale.

In the grand scheme of things, 3 years is nothing!
You just ain't earned it yet.

I have got to earn a 3 year wait, that doesn't sound like much fun.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”