Header image

How Many Known Examples Exist?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: How Many Known Examples Exist?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Mr-shifter wrote:
palitoyjunky wrote:This question and topic should always be considered when some clown appears on eBay or FB etc listing a piece as extremely rare because “there are only 3 known graded examples” :!: There may also be 20 known ungraded examples :!: :!: and indeed many unknown examples :!: :!: :!:

This is a conversation I have had before. Even confirmed “one known to exist” can fast become 3, 4, 20, 25. It’s just part and parcel of the hobby. This stuff was produced in the 100s of 1000s. There is more out there waiting to be discovered.

I guess the Palitoy Vinyl Cape Jawa is an example of that a few years ago they were thought not to exist and now I have been told of 5-6 known examples.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:47 pm

tobedesu wrote:
subzero wrote:
yoda wrote:Its an impossible question to answer, how could anyone ever know how many still exist or are even available.
I still believe there mocs stored away that people are just unaware that they are even around them. Just sitting waiting to be found in a loft or even in storage in old shops forgotten about.
I know this find isn't Star Wars but look what was hidden unknown for years in a loft.
Wouldn't it be great to find something like this or even better vintage Star Wars!
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... 3L&ampcf=1

Seeing that baby grappling and manhandling that mint Subbuteo box is making me cringe. :lol:

The damage.... the damage!!!

It's funny, that.
I unearthed my childhood Subbuteo teams from the loft amongst other things.
Whilst there may not be a stash of carded figures waiting to be uncovered, I do think there's a tonne of loose vintage tucked up in lofts all over the country.

These bring back mixed memories for me, as I was one of the victims of “child labour” :? that used to paint these back in the 70’s.
My mother, my brother and I used to sit at the kitchen table painting bags of these things.
I remember that the ones with more than one shirt colour paid more than the one colour ones!
I don’t remember how much we got paid but it certainly wasn’t enough to retire om! :lol:
I assume that this was a bery local thing, as Subbuteo was a very local business, thanks for posting, memories came flooding back.
Is there anyone else out there that did this?

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:10 pm

Mini99 wrote:
tobedesu wrote:
subzero wrote:
Seeing that baby grappling and manhandling that mint Subbuteo box is making me cringe. :lol:

The damage.... the damage!!!

It's funny, that.
I unearthed my childhood Subbuteo teams from the loft amongst other things.
Whilst there may not be a stash of carded figures waiting to be uncovered, I do think there's a tonne of loose vintage tucked up in lofts all over the country.

These bring back mixed memories for me, as I was one of the victims of “child labour” :? that used to paint these back in the 70’s.
My mother, my brother and I used to sit at the kitchen table painting bags of these things.
I remember that the ones with more than one shirt colour paid more than the one colour ones!
I don’t remember how much we got paid but it certainly wasn’t enough to retire om! :lol:
I assume that this was a bery local thing, as Subbuteo was a very local business, thanks for posting, memories came flooding back.
Is there anyone else out there that did this?

Wow I never knew that, pretty shocking really considering the huge brand.

Reminds me when I used to stay over at my best mates house of a weekend, his greedy entrepreneur bitch of a mom used to get us packing and labelling hundreds of Royal Mail sacks with advertising leaflets to send out to businesses, we never even got paid! :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:13 pm

I’ll contact my mother and see if she remembers how much we got paid.

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:37 pm

yoda wrote:Its an impossible question to answer, how could anyone ever know how many still exist or are even available.
I still believe there mocs stored away that people are just unaware that they are even around them. Just sitting waiting to be found in a loft or even in storage in old shops forgotten about.
I know this find isn't Star Wars but look what was hidden unknown for years in a loft.
Wouldn't it be great to find something like this or even better vintage Star Wars!
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... 3L&ampcf=1

I saw a documentary about an old sports/shoe shop in South America somewhere that this old bloke owned and the place was still full of shit loads of boxed unsold Adidas trainers from the 70’s and 80’s. It was mental, hundreds of pairs. These sneaker heads discovered it and went over and photographed and documented it all. Sadly a lot of them had perished and deteriorated but it was still an incredible find.

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Dannywhiteley » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:40 pm

Here's a true story. Back in early 2000's when Kellerman was writing his bible, despite his extensive research he never identified a Kenner Jedi 65 back Hoth trooper as existing. Odd but true, and his matrix still states this 'fact'.

Now i knew i had one, and bizarrely it turned out to be the 'first' that had ever been identified. I ended up selling it way back in 2003 for £300 to a serious imperial stormtrooper collector from the US.

Even weirder still, I then found another almost immediately after. A few more have since come out of the woodwork, but I think there may be still less than 10 around. My claim to SW fame is that at one point in time I owned the only known example. Pretty cool.

MarkG
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby MarkG » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:36 pm

Dannywhiteley wrote:Here's a true story. Back in early 2000's when Kellerman was writing his bible, despite his extensive research he never identified a Kenner Jedi 65 back Hoth trooper as existing. Odd but true, and his matrix still states this 'fact'.

Now i knew i had one, and bizarrely it turned out to be the 'first' that had ever been identified. I ended up selling it way back in 2003 for £300 to a serious imperial stormtrooper collector from the US.

Even weirder still, I then found another almost immediately after. A few more have since come out of the woodwork, but I think there may be still less than 10 around. My claim to SW fame is that at one point in time I owned the only known example. Pretty cool.

Certainly remember that back in the day over on RS. Lots of jaws dropped when you posted up the 'mirror' photo.. one of the great days in collecting history.
Wanted - Instruction sheets and Stormtrooper cardbacks preferably....
Lili Ledy Boxed Speeder Bike

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:22 pm

That Hoth Trooper story is pretty awesome, i'm taking it owners of other examples spotted this news online and checked what they had in their collections and found the same one that they never knew they had, then decided to cash in on it's rarity, which is why several of them surfaced just after your first discovery.
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:56 pm

subzero wrote:That Hoth Trooper story is pretty awesome, i'm taking it owners of other examples spotted this news online and checked what they had in their collections and found the same one that they never knew they had, then decided to cash in on it's rarity, which is why several of them surfaced just after your first discovery.

Similar thing seems to be happening with the Palitoy VCJ I just got offered another one, that's three I could have bought in less than a year. Undoubtedly more will surface after the high profile Vectis sale for the same reason as mentioned above people looking to cash in.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Dannywhiteley » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Funny thing was it was such a random one to have never been officially identified. I think these days every possible Kenner card back/front variation has been researched to death, but at the time it felt like the equivalent of pulling out a 21 back Fett Offer R2D2. And it's still very hard to find.

Can still search all the original posts on RS.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”