Header image

When was the last time you saw a carded figure out in the wild?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
scooternick
Regular
Regular

Re: When was the last time you saw a carded figure out in the wild?

Postby scooternick » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:51 pm

Spanish seaside town circa 1994. 1 x jabba playset, 3 x ewok handgliders. Shop keeper probably thought i was a weirdo buying the lot! There were also he-man toys which i didn't buy

Crumm
Regular
Regular

Postby Crumm » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:18 pm

1988 in Blackpool.

I bought three from a guy selling them from a pop-up pasting table on the promenade.

Han Carbonite
Luke Poncho
R2D2 Sensorscope I think was the other one.
"How much you wanna bet I could throw a football over them mountains!"

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:46 pm

My last time was around the late 80's when I was about 7 or 8, I remember going to a hardware shop with my dad and I was standing at the front door while he was paying for stuff at the till and there was a large box / discount bin right next to the front door outside and remember looking at the figures in there in amazement. It was loaded to the top with MOC's for £1 each, i'll forever regret that day for the rest of my life not buying a load of them, but I suppose it would have been worse if I did and opened them all, which is what I def would have done at that age. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:56 pm

I remember going into a large shop near Malaga in Costa Del Sol around 1985 with my Dad and there were loads of MOC'S hanging on the wall. I don't remember what they were but I presume they were tri logo and there must have been at least 50 if not more and I didn't buy one.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Tomasfuria
New User
New User

Postby Tomasfuria » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:03 pm

Like a year ago in Glasgow. I went for a walk around the old antique shops.: A Palitoy boxed rebel transport, complete and box in good conditions. When I asked the guy for the price I was in shock: He asked for £20!

Obviously, I have got it! :D

TrooperWill
Regular
Regular

Postby TrooperWill » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:34 am

Like a year ago in Glasgow. I went for a walk around the old antique shops.: A Palitoy boxed rebel transport, complete and box in good conditions. When I asked the guy for the price I was in shock: He asked for £20!

Obviously, I have got it

lucky git,

my local antiques shack has had one for ages, no box, missing the gun deck, the card inserts in shit condition and broken attachments on the trap door...... and he's after £80 for it! I have asked several times where they got that price from, guessing eBay! yet another idiot who read a daily mail article and thinks every loose beater will net him a few hundred quid....

and yet I got a complete, though slightly yellow falcon there for £45 a few years ago
I prefer trading items to buying them, have a loose run, about half the ships/vehicles and all the mini-rigs, spent under £200 and have had a blast doing so. This hobby doesn't have to be about spending a mortgage deposit every month on one item

Taffius
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Taffius » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:28 pm

A whole stall of them in Weston-super-mare carboot, mid 90s.
Not checked my local antique areas for years but planning to!

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Crumm wrote:1988 in Blackpool.

I bought three from a guy selling them from a pop-up pasting table on the promenade.

Han Carbonite
Luke Poncho
R2D2 Sensorscope I think was the other one.

That's really interesting.

'94-'98 I was at University in Liverpool. It was the last time I really collected with a passion. I paid for some beer and all my SW by buying and selling SW. Picking up childhood collections for £40 was easy enough back then and I never ever paid over £100, no matter what was there. Ahhhh, the good old days.....Anyway, to the point: I cannot be 100% absolutely certain who told me the story but I'm pretty sure it was a guy who had a cool little toy booth in The Palace on Slater Street, Liverpool (anyone remember that? Brilliant place :) ). Anyway, the guy down there told me a mate of his (yep, always the start of a good yarn) had been walking along Blackpool seafront a few years earlier and come across an old chap selling stuff out of a suitcase (not a pasting table in this story). Amongst the bits were a handful of SW MOCs. He paid the chap whatever and the seller piped up "I've got some more of those". Apparently, the buyer arranged to meet the old fella the next day and is let into a warehouse (probably storeroom, but exaggeration in such stories is encouraged) where he found cases and cases of SW MOCs. He, apparently, bought the whole lot for about £5,000. It may have been £10k, I can't remember precisely.

What makes this story now more believable in my mind is the pretty precise location and that he specifically mentioned the last 17 when recounting it to me. I'd always told myself it sounded like BS but yours is the very first eye witness account of a street trader on Blackpool seafront :)

As an aside, I still have the Lego display sign "It's a New Toy Everyday" that the teller of this story had up in his shop. It was the same day he told me the story I persuaded him to sell it to me.

scooternick
Regular
Regular

Postby scooternick » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:36 pm

These two were at cheddar car boot today. About 60 quid each I think. Zoomed out photo gives perspective
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Circa 1992 in Forbidden Planet in London. They had a whole rack of Tri-Logo MOCs, mostly ewoks, and I remember thinking the prices were outrageous... £8.99 if memory serves! They also had some Jedi boxed AT-AT's, which I think were around £50-£60, but I'm half-guessing on that price after all this time.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:35 pm

scooternick wrote:These two were at cheddar car boot today. About 60 quid each I think. Zoomed out photo gives perspective

Well spotted, you must have keen eyes.
I struggled to see them in the first picture.
Did you buy them?

scooternick
Regular
Regular

Postby scooternick » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Ha ha. No, they were a bit too beaten for me but probably a fair price. Bet the guy was glad it didn't rain!
Mini99 wrote:
scooternick wrote:These two were at cheddar car boot today. About 60 quid each I think. Zoomed out photo gives perspective

Well spotted, you must have keen eyes.
I struggled to see them in the first picture.
Did you buy them?
Last edited by scooternick on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StarWarsFan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby StarWarsFan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:20 pm

Nice would have snapped them up.

Starrider
New User
New User

Postby Starrider » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:02 pm

Cant remember any figures on regular toy shelves past the late 1980's, but I distinctly remember a mint boxed AT AT sitting unwanted for years in a toy shop called Dines in Grimsby, it was there till around 1993 priced at £29.99. Sadly I hadnt got back into Star Wars at the time so didnt show much interest. The same shop had Masters of the Universe figures till the mid nineties and I remember taking a punt on two mint carded Battle Armour He Man figures at 50p each. Unfortunately I passed on a Dragon Blaster Skeletor for £1.50 because it had a small rip to the card.
I later sold the He Man figures when interest was just returning in the early noughties but if I'd held onto them about another ten years I'd have got a really significant return on that £1 investment.

Dr_Ball_MD
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Dr_Ball_MD » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:30 pm

I remember seeing a tri-logo FX-7 in London Forbidden planet sometime in the 90's.
My loose vintage collection: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24345

Zuckuss fockuss: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34291

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”