Header image

Imperial Blaster Colour Question

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: Imperial Blaster Colour Question

Postby Dannywhiteley » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:52 am

subzero wrote:A lot of people believe a dark blue Imp blaster came with trilogo Luke Stormtroopers as an official weapon, there are apparently a LOT of them that have been confirmed sealed on cards but TIG still passes it off as 'an anomaly', just a mistake, and not packed intentionally by Palitoy.

But who actually knows that for a fact though??, to me if there are many dozens out there still sealed with dark blue blasters then there were most likely many thousands more that were opened. It's possible the workers at the Palitoy factory ran out of solid black blasters one day and intentionally grabbed some dark blue ones to pack them for several hours or a couple of days, even that would be intentional so in my mind that's what officially came with that figure for a short while. If there was like 5 or less examples of dark blue blasters in bubbles then maybe that could be passed off as an anomaly.

And the fact that nearly all of these loose figures I see on ebay that people have had for many years or from their childhoods still with a dark blue blaster tells me there was a huge run of these.

This is the reason why I don't chase after a solid black blaster for my Luke, I do believe TIG can be wrong about certain things.

I completely agree with this. My Trilogo Luke stormtrooper has a dark blue blaster as have many others I have seen over the years (many more than black on trilogo in fact).

TrooperWill
New User
New User

Postby TrooperWill » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:42 pm

i started collecting a few years ago, when i found my sadly no longer with us dads childhood figures. he only had 16 figures but kept all the original weapons in a tin (very ocd of an 8 year old) one of which was an ig88 and several others who had imperial blasters, including DSC and stormtrooper. all three imperial blasters are the same pale blue.

as these are all genuine,no repro, from a small childhood collection im pretty confident saying they are the blasters they originally came with. unlike most figures off eBay etc. that could have changed hands 30+ times since they were made, making the chances that the blasters they now hold being he ones they were in bubbles with highly unlikely.
I prefer trading items to buying them, have a loose run, about half the ships/vehicles and all the mini-rigs, spent under £200 and have had a blast doing so. This hobby doesn't have to be about spending a mortgage deposit every month on one item

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:21 pm

TrooperWill wrote:i started collecting a few years ago, when i found my sadly no longer with us dads childhood figures. he only had 16 figures but kept all the original weapons in a tin (very ocd of an 8 year old) one of which was an ig88 and several others who had imperial blasters, including DSC and stormtrooper. all three imperial blasters are the same pale blue.

as these are all genuine,no repro, from a small childhood collection im pretty confident saying they are the blasters they originally came with. unlike most figures off eBay etc. that could have changed hands 30+ times since they were made, making the chances that the blasters they now hold being he ones they were in bubbles with highly unlikely.

That's very interesting, and helpful too. Thanks :-)

Do you remember whether the 16 figures also included an Imperial Commander please? And to be bulletproof, I should also ask whether there was only one Imperial Commander and only one IG-88? Because if so, as you say, with 3 pale blue blasters, at least one of them would have to have come with another figure.

TrooperWill
New User
New User

Postby TrooperWill » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:11 pm

TrooperWill wrote:
i started collecting a few years ago, when i found my sadly no longer with us dads childhood figures. he only had 16 figures but kept all the original weapons in a tin (very ocd of an 8 year old) one of which was an ig88 and several others who had imperial blasters, including DSC and stormtrooper. all three imperial blasters are the same pale blue.

That's very interesting, and helpful too. Thanks :-)

Do you remember whether the 16 figures also included an Imperial Commander please? And to be bulletproof, I should also ask whether there was only one Imperial Commander and only one IG-88? Because if so, as you say, with 3 pale blue blasters, at least one of them would have to have come with another figure.

i can completely confirm that there was not an imperial commander as i only picked him up recently, and one IG88. its also worth mentioning that the sixteen figures perfectly matched the 17 weapons (greedy IG88 has two remember) that were present and as it was found in my grandmothers house when she died buried under a bed i can confidently say that no-one had played with them since my dad.
I prefer trading items to buying them, have a loose run, about half the ships/vehicles and all the mini-rigs, spent under £200 and have had a blast doing so. This hobby doesn't have to be about spending a mortgage deposit every month on one item

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:04 pm

I've always thought there's a relative abundance of light blue Imperial Blasters out there considering it only officially appeared with two figures and the Survival Kit. This has made me wonder if it did regularly appear where it shouldn't. However, I've also thought that their abundance in the market, compared to the darker ones, is because lots of collectors want multiples of the dark ones for their army of Stormtroopers.

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:25 pm

TrooperWill wrote:i can completely confirm that there was not an imperial commander as i only picked him up recently, and one IG88. its also worth mentioning that the sixteen figures perfectly matched the 17 weapons (greedy IG88 has two remember) that were present and as it was found in my grandmothers house when she died buried under a bed i can confidently say that no-one had played with them since my dad.

Thanks again! Looks like I'm safe doing a bit of mixing and matching with my blue blasters after all! :-)

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:46 pm

Referring to your Boba Fett with blue blaster statement Tantive XI say Boba Fett comes equipped with a blue imperial blaster, though the pics show him with a blue black in hand. I would be interested to know if their statement is a mistake or whether there is evidence that one particular variant was packaged with a blue blaster, after all there is evidence that the Taiwan Fett was packaged with the v5.

http://www.tantivexi.com/t952-le-boba-fett

The guys on Jabba’s Palace do a lot of work on variants and accessories. This post on Luke Jedi Snap capes is really interesting as they try to get to the bottom of what goes with what. It’s hard to digest it all but somewhere in there is which cape and which weapon comes with what factory.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/JabbasC ... 434555292/

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:21 pm

More interesting stuff, thank you :-)

I have been doing a little searching of my own, and on the excellent trilogo.info site, there is a photo of a carded French 'Tri-logo' Fett (the card is actually a French Jedi card, and the article explains very nicely why it's actually inaccurate to describe such Fetts as 'Tri-logo Fetts', but I digress...):

http://trilogo.info/features/the-real-trilogo-fett/

Now the really interesting thing for me is that the figure is packaged with a blue blaster. I don't want to repost their images without permission, so the image I'm referring to is about halfway down the page. And for added good measure, here is a link straight to it, and it's the middle card, obviously :-):

http://trilogo.info/wp-content/gallery/ ... ibobas.jpg

Section 8
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Section 8 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:01 am

I display my Luke X Wing with an imperial blaster as that's what he had as a child. When I started collecting again I was shocked that this was the wrong weapon. I cannot prove it but I feel my Luke X Wing may have come with an imperial blaster as was quite careful as a kid and wouldn't put him with the wrong weapon.

Saying that, I did end up with an IG88 rifle in my childhood figures box. You may not think that odd, but I never had an IG88 as a kid.

My best friend at the time did as I vividly remember accidentally spinning his IG88's arm off. Unknown to me, the inner part of the arm had stuck tight so while I spun the stiff arm round, I was actually twisting the plastic until it snapped off.

Maybe I deemed a one armed IG88 to not need a 2nd weapon. I was no thief as a kid but this is only place I can imagine it came from.
"Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding."

phreatobite
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby phreatobite » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:47 pm

My 2 loose Luke Stormies have black blasters and my god, did I have hassle getting those. I always assumed that tri-logos weren't a good measure of a "correct" weapon because there are so many anomalies with other figures but who knows.

I'm not sure they'll ever be a definitive answer unless - like you say - many, many more factory sealed examples come to light. We need a world-wide survey of all Luke Stormtrooper tril-logo MOCs.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”