Header image

Investor or Collector?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
TrooperWill
Regular
Regular

Re: Investor or Collector?

Postby TrooperWill » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:17 am

definitely a collector,
tried investing once, when a huge lot of 150 figures and 20-25 vehicles turned up at my local auction house, they broke it down into manageable lots and auctioned it, I bought it all, every single lot, which added up to pretty close to a Grand, my GF at the time was asking me if I was really sure I wanted to buy it all and if I could afford it.
I justified it to her by saying the resale of the items I didn't need/want would more than cover the cost, via eBay ect.

until I got it home, realised just how nice the boxed items were, how I still needed about 50 figures to complete my loose run, and by the time I came to sell, I sold less than £200 worth as I kept the rest for myself.

not my best moment but at least I have a nice collection :D
I prefer trading items to buying them, have a loose run, about half the ships/vehicles and all the mini-rigs, spent under £200 and have had a blast doing so. This hobby doesn't have to be about spending a mortgage deposit every month on one item

Cardbackkid
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Cardbackkid » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:58 am

Collector myself but I do buy and sell the odd bit

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm a collector who suspects he'll get his money back, plus more, should I need the cash.

Taffius
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Taffius » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:45 pm

Collector. Investing never worked for me either.

If in time they become investments then bonus.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:32 pm

I don’t fit into any camp, as I’m a hoarder!
This time round I have never sold a piece of SW on, I ensure that what I buy is what I want and that’s it, it’s in the collection!
It maybe an OCD thing, but I can’t let them go. :roll:
Or it maybe that I sold everything at auction and now regret it very much. :(

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:34 am

I think I am more Collector than Investor as I don't see what I collect as a particularly good investment which means I am either stupid or I have a passion for it, hopefully not the former.

If we look at rare vintage MOC as an example from a financial investment perspective:

1. Rarity can not be established as no one knows how many examples exist.

2. Price or more importantly price increases are unknown as virtually all sales are done privately.

3. Deterioration of item highly probable due to bubble adhesive or bubble itself perishing.

Not my idea of a great financial investment!
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

jared007
Regular
Regular

Postby jared007 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:06 am

To call it *investing* implies that you are eventually going to realize any profit and cash in at some stage. That's certainly not me, I'd find it too hard to part with any of the items I've spent so long chasing.

As for an investment, it's probably the riskiest thing you could ever sink money into! For any serious return in the ballpark of what shares etc give, then you really need to be playing with really high end pieces. But there in lies the issue - your circle of clients become *really small*, and what you hold can suddenly become worth *much less* depending on flavour of the month. Plus, this stuff is fragile - crack an MOC in transit and you can't burn money faster!
Digital vintage price guide and portfolio system: http://www.starwarstracker.com

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:55 pm

jared007 wrote:To call it *investing* implies that you are eventually going to realize any profit and cash in at some stage. That's certainly not me, I'd find it too hard to part with any of the items I've spent so long chasing.

As for an investment, it's probably the riskiest thing you could ever sink money into! For any serious return in the ballpark of what shares etc give, then you really need to be playing with really high end pieces. But there in lies the issue - your circle of clients become *really small*, and what you hold can suddenly become worth *much less* depending on flavour of the month. Plus, this stuff is fragile - crack an MOC in transit and you can't burn money faster!

This is my point do financial investors exist in Vintage Star Wars collecting at all?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby yoda » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:21 pm

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:
jared007 wrote:To call it *investing* implies that you are eventually going to realize any profit and cash in at some stage. That's certainly not me, I'd find it too hard to part with any of the items I've spent so long chasing.

This is my point do financial investors exist in Vintage Star Wars collecting at all?

To answer your question yes I think they do exist, I believe there are people buying and hording loads of vintage mint Star Wars with the plan or hope of making money on it once it's sold at a later date. And that they also have no connection whatsoever to it and don't really care what people think or how it harms the collecting community.

But I also understand other people moving bits and bobs on to upgrade have doubles or if they have just lost interest or more importantly need the money. I see these type of people as the true collectors and that making money was never the first motivation for them. And if they make a few bob so be it thats their own business it's part and parcel of collecting.

Edit : I really like Michael Siths view on this topic.
Last edited by yoda on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't flush the toilet, I scare the shit out of it. ~Chuck Norris~
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind ~Jackie Joyner-Kersee~
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball~

tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby tigerham » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:53 pm

Collector, never an investor, I'd be terrible at it. :wink:

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:08 pm

Where do traders fit into this topic or do they at all?, even though they buy and sell with a fast turnaround, to me that's still an investment even though it's a short term one.

So isn't a long term investor just the same as a short term one in terms of how they might affect the hobby?
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

BradleyScott
New User
New User

Postby BradleyScott » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:38 pm

Now that I think about it I believe you answered your own question. Its all in how you identify yourself. You either collect for some satisfaction in some degree weather it be a focus or a completist.
OR
You Invest to hopefully make a profit.

gammoguard
New User
New User

Postby gammoguard » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:37 pm

‘Sort of’ collector. I say sort of because I still have my original figures & vehicles from when I was a kid but the last time I added any vintage stuff (I have select newer things that took my fancy) was about 17 years ago.

My focus moved to other brands when the prices started creeping up past what I was prepared to pay (Blue Snaggle went up to £150 so couldn’t justify spending that amount on something that, at the time, didn’t give me a buzz) - in comparison I paid the equivalent for a loose Tyderium.

I’ll never sell them through choice but if necessity meant that I had to (ie to fund a health issue) then I would. I’ve already told my kids that these items are now theirs (but they can’t have them yet :wink:) and that when they are older if they need a cash boost then they can sell items (hopefully it won’t come to that or they’ll do it without telling me :lol:

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:01 pm

Collector! I do it for the love of it, of the films and the toys. Only a buffoon would invest in this stuff. Saying that, anyone who bought a lot of their collection over 5 years ago as I did has made a good investment, even though it’s without intentionally doing so. Nobody could have really known how much the prices were going to increase so I don’t think there’s serious investors in this. Maybe a few but I think you’ve got to have some interest in SW to even want to invest in it.

TWOFOOT
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TWOFOOT » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:48 am

subzero wrote:
pizzathehutt wrote:There was something on the radio I heard a few months back about investments

I cant remember all of it but it was to do with investing in the 70s, some people invested in shares or say an equivalent to an isa in a bank or something else

obviously people who had, did make profit but the biggest profit made, and it was something ridiculous! if you had bought £1000 worth of fine wine back then it was now worth £400,000 or something along those lines, craziness!!!

I was watching a pawn shop program the other day and a guy on there was saying some bottles of scotch whiskey for £100 5 years ago are now worth £1000. :o

Iv'e never understood a bottle of liquid being so collectable, it's not like as if this stuff is antique or anything even if it's from the 70's. :?

Same could be said about us. People will be saying 'how can a tiny brown plastic Cape be worth so much money.' lol
This can only lead me down a dark path....... Again. Lol

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”