Header image

Advice on display of 12 back

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Advice on display of 12 back

Postby Michael Sith » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:03 pm

I have a number of reseals and damaged cards, one of which is a torn litho area of a LFB 12 back with no bubble.

I would like to source a bubble for this but would like to repair the litho tear as well. The bubble would need to be an original bubble ( yes I would need to research to ensure I had the right bubble type) I wouldn't use a repro bubble

I'm having a conscience problem with repairing the torn litho area because to do that I would be printing off a scan of a cardback and then cut the area that corresponds with the damaged litho area and repair for my own display, this is then altering a vintage card, Theron lies the problem for me, so I'm probably answering my own question as I type this!

Or do I just display as is, which is probably the way to go for me ( that is source a vintage bubble and use a toploader leaving the torn litho area as is )

Would be interested to hear opinions though.....
Attachments
IMG_2769.JPG
IMG_2769.JPG (215.32 KiB) Viewed 152 times
IMG_2768.JPG
IMG_2768.JPG (156.96 KiB) Viewed 152 times
IMG_2767.JPG
IMG_2767.JPG (166.25 KiB) Viewed 152 times
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Advice on display of 12 back

Postby Mini99 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:26 pm

That’s a very hard question.
It all comes down to your personal view on repairing card backs.
I have seen some that have been done so well that they could be passed off as MOC’s, and some so poor that they have actually made the card back worse.
Personally with this one as the bubble is missing which has caused the picure to bedamaged I would leave it as it is, with a top loader and bubble.

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Personally I wouldn’t bother Mike. I certainly wouldn’t stick anything to it. If it was mine I would prob just display the back of it. Restoration is tricky and a bit risky on a 12 back if you don’t know exactly what you’re doing.

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Will probably do that and display until I can source a much less damaged cardback and then put the bubble on that with a Toploader.
A goal for me is to have a 12 back LFB to display, not interested in a 12 back run, but do want a 12 back in the collection, and it has to be LFB for me.
I've seen a decent reseal 12 back but talking £250 so not an option for me.

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Whilst this Luke could be repaired / restored, IMHO it would take so much work to do it well that I think your decision to wait and try to find a better card back down the road is the best one. And in the meantime, enjoy your current one for what it is; a great original vintage Luke card :-)

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:31 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, will stick with this one until I can source an upgraded card/ bubble :D

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:07 am

Michael Sith wrote:I have a number of reseals and damaged cards, one of which is a torn litho area of a LFB 12 back with no bubble.

I would like to source a bubble for this but would like to repair the litho tear as well. The bubble would need to be an original bubble ( yes I would need to research to ensure I had the right bubble type) I wouldn't use a repro bubble

I'm having a conscience problem with repairing the torn litho area because to do that I would be printing off a scan of a cardback and then cut the area that corresponds with the damaged litho area and repair for my own display, this is then altering a vintage card, Theron lies the problem for me, so I'm probably answering my own question as I type this!

Or do I just display as is, which is probably the way to go for me ( that is source a vintage bubble and use a toploader leaving the torn litho area as is )

Would be interested to hear opinions though.....

From a personal perspective MOC restoration terrifies me as I am one of many collectors who grades their figures and one that also knows the grading companies are not prepared or in some instances not capable in picking it up (Toy Toni).

That said what Michael is proposing is different In that the restoration is not hidden with the aim of deceiving the Collector or Grading company into thinking the item is something that it is not. So for me I would be very interested in seeing the metamorphosis from cardback to MOC as I believe it is a story that should be told and a picture paints a thousand words.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

jared007
Regular
Regular

Postby jared007 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:12 am

As others have said, I don't think it's worth trying to restore the cardback. Instead, you might be able to improve the situation with a nice acrylic case, and figure combination. I believe GW Acrylic do a hybrid MOC/Loose figure case all in one. A nice acrylic case like theirs can turn a beater MOC into something you are proud to display. The website is being revamped at the moment, but worth checking out tomorrow going by their placeholder landing page:

https://www.gwacrylic.co.uk/

Cheers, Jared.
Digital vintage price guide and portfolio system: http://www.starwarstracker.com

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Dannywhiteley » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:49 am

Place in a toploader on a little display stand and have the figure stand in front. Looks good as is, I wouldn't risk ruining it by messing about with it.

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:20 am

Thanks for all the advice on this, it is much appreciated.

I was 95 % that I would leave as is, but was interested in opinions. I will display as is for now until I can get a reseal or upgraded cardback

Thanks again for all of the advice :D

tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby tigerham » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:14 pm

If you trust yourself with the accuracy and detailing the same colouring then I don't see why not if it's for your own personal display purpose.

Either a scan on paper or as I would use is sheen sticker label A4 (not that I have before but only on customs). :)

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”