Advice on display of 12 back

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I have a number of reseals and damaged cards, one of which is a torn litho area of a LFB 12 back with no bubble.

I would like to source a bubble for this but would like to repair the litho tear as well. The bubble would need to be an original bubble ( yes I would need to research to ensure I had the right bubble type) I wouldn't use a repro bubble

I'm having a conscience problem with repairing the torn litho area because to do that I would be printing off a scan of a cardback and then cut the area that corresponds with the damaged litho area and repair for my own display, this is then altering a vintage card, Theron lies the problem for me, so I'm probably answering my own question as I type this!

Or do I just display as is, which is probably the way to go for me ( that is source a vintage bubble and use a toploader leaving the torn litho area as is )

Would be interested to hear opinions though.....

Attachments

• IMG_2767.JPG
    IMG_2767.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_2768.JPG
    IMG_2768.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_2769.JPG
    IMG_2769.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 554

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
That's a very hard question.
It all comes down to your personal view on repairing card backs.
I have seen some that have been done so well that they could be passed off as MOC's, and some so poor that they have actually made the card back worse.
Personally with this one as the bubble is missing which has caused the picure to bedamaged I would leave it as it is, with a top loader and bubble.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Personally I wouldn't bother Mike. I certainly wouldn't stick anything to it. If it was mine I would prob just display the back of it. Restoration is tricky and a bit risky on a 12 back if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Will probably do that and display until I can source a much less damaged cardback and then put the bubble on that with a Toploader.
A goal for me is to have a 12 back LFB to display, not interested in a 12 back run, but do want a 12 back in the collection, and it has to be LFB for me.
I've seen a decent reseal 12 back but talking £250 so not an option for me.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Whilst this Luke could be repaired / restored, IMHO it would take so much work to do it well that I think your decision to wait and try to find a better card back down the road is the best one. And in the meantime, enjoy your current one for what it is; a great original vintage Luke card :)

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Michael Sith said:
I have a number of reseals and damaged cards, one of which is a torn litho area of a LFB 12 back with no bubble.

I would like to source a bubble for this but would like to repair the litho tear as well. The bubble would need to be an original bubble ( yes I would need to research to ensure I had the right bubble type) I wouldn't use a repro bubble

I'm having a conscience problem with repairing the torn litho area because to do that I would be printing off a scan of a cardback and then cut the area that corresponds with the damaged litho area and repair for my own display, this is then altering a vintage card, Theron lies the problem for me, so I'm probably answering my own question as I type this!

Or do I just display as is, which is probably the way to go for me ( that is source a vintage bubble and use a toploader leaving the torn litho area as is )

Would be interested to hear opinions though.....

From a personal perspective MOC restoration terrifies me as I am one of many collectors who grades their figures and one that also knows the grading companies are not prepared or in some instances not capable in picking it up (Toy Toni).

That said what Michael is proposing is different In that the restoration is not hidden with the aim of deceiving the Collector or Grading company into thinking the item is something that it is not. So for me I would be very interested in seeing the metamorphosis from cardback to MOC as I believe it is a story that should be told and a picture paints a thousand words.

jared007

Padawan
As others have said, I don't think it's worth trying to restore the cardback. Instead, you might be able to improve the situation with a nice acrylic case, and figure combination. I believe GW Acrylic do a hybrid MOC/Loose figure case all in one. A nice acrylic case like theirs can turn a beater MOC into something you are proud to display. The website is being revamped at the moment, but worth checking out tomorrow going by their placeholder landing page:

https://www.gwacrylic.co.uk/

Cheers, Jared.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Place in a toploader on a little display stand and have the figure stand in front. Looks good as is, I wouldn't risk ruining it by messing about with it.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Thanks for all the advice on this, it is much appreciated.

I was 95 % that I would leave as is, but was interested in opinions. I will display as is for now until I can get a reseal or upgraded cardback

Thanks again for all of the advice :D

tigerham

Sith Lord
If you trust yourself with the accuracy and detailing the same colouring then I don't see why not if it's for your own personal display purpose.

Either a scan on paper or as I would use is sheen sticker label A4 (not that I have before but only on customs). :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom