Header image

What Rare Items Do You Remember Opening?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
indianawars
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

What Rare Items Do You Remember Opening?

Postby indianawars » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:03 am

So what rare Star Wars items do you remember opening as a kid? Did you sell or give away something years ago that has since turned into a gold-mine?
Last edited by indianawars on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: What Rare Item Do You Remeber Opening?

Postby subzero » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:09 am

indianawars wrote:So what rare Star Wars items do you remember opening as a kid? Or did you sell something years ago that has since turned into a gold-mine?

I never got any vintage Star Wars toys for xmas or any other occasion :( :( everything SW we had in our family were technically my older brother's toys but we all shared & played with them. I do remember opening many other toys though, and I cringe at the memories of tearing boxes and packaging open on xmas mornings as if it was just meaningless wrapping paper, then getting all the huge pile of boxes that me and my 3 brothers had all opened, folding and tearing them all up and fucking it all into black bin liners ready for binning, the horror!! :shock:
Last edited by subzero on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

indianawars
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: What Rare Items Do You Remeber Opening?

Postby indianawars » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:25 am

My worst memory was thinking that I was grown up enough not to still have toys. As we didn't know anyone with younger children, I decided to bin EVERYTHING! I've never opened anything rare, but during a 90s car boot, I do remember buying a sealed AT-AT for £2 and ripping that sucker open, destroying the box in the process.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:28 am

I don't think I got anything rare when I was a kid :( I remember tri-logo stormtrooper moc that I did open and then some palitoy and kenner. There could also have been some other tri-logo and 2 speeder bikes in bilogo boxes. I only remember the ROTJ and Tri-log back on the cardbacks. But I remember ESB and maybe SW from the front in the shops.

pizzathehutt
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby pizzathehutt » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:34 am

nothing rare, just standard jedi figures and a few mini rigs and jabba playset when I was a kid
'Nutch Vader! Teeblo Carbon'

peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby peekaygee73 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Most of our first wave ESB figures were Palitoy, and I'm pretty sure our SW figures were too, as I remember the cardback. I vividly remember the cardbacks going into a plastic bin bag in the garage along with the other Christmas rubbish, ready for the next bin collection.

We also had a Palitoy Land of the Jawas and I know we still had the box for this when we sold it around 86/87. Otherwise not much really.

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:15 pm

Palitoy ESB 30 bk Boba and Han Hoth, Christmas 1981. Kept the cardbacks for years, but threw them away when I was a teenager (under duress from my Mum). Still got the loose figures thankfully 8)
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:29 pm

I wonder if there's anyone out there who remembers opening a trilogo Madine? :o :lol:

indianawars
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby indianawars » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Cazza wrote:Palitoy ESB 30 bk Boba and Han Hoth, Christmas 1981. Kept the cardbacks for years, but threw them away when I was a teenager (under duress from my Mum). Still got the loose figures thankfully 8)

OUCH!!!! I'm glad I don't have to live with that one weighing on my mind :lol:

hellhippie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby hellhippie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:00 pm

nothing rare either but lots of 12 backs and empire figures as well
id rather be fishing

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:52 pm

Almost the entire Palitoy Star Wars 4 inch line! All the 12 backs (minus small head Han which came from a friend of my brother), all the 20 backs, the Landspeeder, X-Wing, Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, TIE Fighter, Cantina, Land of the Jawas, Droid Factory and Death Star... All Palitoy, all opened, all boxes and cards thrown away on the spot :-(

.... BUT all the toys were loved, played with regularly and looked after very well, with not a single accessory lost or damaged!... Until I sold some of them to fund Empire purchases (again, mostly Palitoy, but with some Kenner figures thrown in the mix by this point. All playsets, ships and vehicles were Palitoy though, and again none of the packaging was kept! The only things I didn't own from the UK 4 inch Empire line were the Wampa, AT-AT, Imperial Attack Base and Mini-rigs).

And then I sold everything I still owned just after Jedi came out to buy a Halford's Turbo BMX! That may sound like a really bad deal, but today those bikes are worthless ;-)

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:03 pm

Don't know what's classed as rare from the original SW cards but ripped my way through a fair number of these, as I kept my original cards backs, this kenner t r and a palitoy power droid are in evidence of my eager impatient need to get to the lovely sw goodness inside, I always kept the cards so why did I not think to open carefully from the back ?? and maybe not cut the names out to get my mail away's ??? not a hope as a 8 year old :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Palitoy 30back Fett for me too. It wasn't rare then tho. That's just how it rolled. I got my 18 grand's worth out of it in play value. I've still got it and it's wonderfully knackered.

And I've told a boring story before where my pal bought a marked-down Fett in 1986 just to throw about and act the tosser with. I remember noting it was made of a much lighter colour than my Boba.

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:25 pm

I don’t think I opened anything that’s rare now. Nothing was rare then! I was chatting to my mate about Star Wars toys the other day. He’s a bit older than me and he told me his first two Star Wars figures were Luke and Chewie (Palitoy 12 backs)!! When I told him how much they’re worth now and that they’re two of the most valuable he couldn’t believe it. He also once got a Palitoy 12 back Han for 22p in a clearance box in his local newsagent in 1978/79.

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:28 pm

I can't read this thread any more, sorry, it's making me cry! :? :( :(

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”