Care when posting pictures.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Sorry if this is going over old ground, but just a want to put this out there again about the dangers of posting pictures online.
I copied a picture off of this Forum (I am using an IPad, as I wanted to see the picture in greater detail – My poor old eyes!) and then saved it to my picture library, once there I noticed that the picture had been geo tagged.
From this I could see where the picture had been taken, now I have no intention of coming round and stealing all you stuff, but there are some out there that would. :evil:
The best policy that I have found when taking pictures that you don't want anyone to know where it was taken is to select "Settings" then "Privacy settings" and then turn off "Location Services" (This is works for Apple, I can't help with Android, sorry) and then there will be no location data stored with the picture.
Once you have taken pictures, you can then reverse the above process and then re enable the "Location Services".
The last thing I want to do is to scare everyone into stopping posting pictures, but this simple step could save us all a lot of heart ache!

subzero

Sith Lord
This is why I don't do 'smart' phones ( or should I say dumb phones ), my phone has buttons and a 1 inch screen.... i'm not kidding!

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
I don't use a smartphone. I take my photos using a... camera! :shock: :D
Some cameras now have the geo tagging ability as well, so I assume that the same data is embedded?

Taffius

Sith Lord
I work with IT and this is well known within the industry but commend mini99 in keeping up awareness. In Android, if you go to an image and get its details (3 vertical dots top right), you can remove location gps co-ordinates from there.

In "Apps" you can turn off location for camera. I would also turn off microphone too unless using video call features.

Keep cyber savvy folks if your worried about revealing your collection location.
Google have good information about it located here:
https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6153599?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en-GB

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
Snaketibe said:
Some cameras now have the geo tagging ability as well, so I assume that the same data is embedded?
I'm quite sure you're right, but my camera doesn't ;-)

Your warning is very, very valid however. Why on earth anyone would want their pictures geo-tagged by default is quite beyond my capacity (to quote something golden). What possible benefit does it serve? At best it's effects are neutral, and at worst it simply helps criminals!

Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it should be done. You can get 'smart' toasters these days that connect to the internet. WHY?! Oh I know, when I'm next going out, I'll leave some bread in the toaster, and then when I'm on my way home again and less than 3 minutes from my front door, I'll use my phone, connect to my toaster through the internet and instruct it to start toasting my bread!... And then hope I don't get delayed, or that the time I spent remotely connecting to my toaster and instructing it doesn't exceed the 3 minutes time it would take me when I'm home to simply push the bread down by hand and toast it normally. Why does this product exist, and who the hell buys it?!

Some things are pointless, people, and geo-tagging is certainly one of them.

subzero

Sith Lord
Smart toasters ffs, what's next smart johnny's? so everyone on facebook can see when you're shagging the missus?.. or having a posh smart wank? :lol:

Taffius

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Mini99 said:
Snaketibe said:
I'm quite sure you're right, but my camera doesn't ;-)

Your warning is very, very valid however. Why on earth anyone would want their pictures geo-tagged by default is quite beyond my capacity (to quote something golden).

Some things are pointless, people, and geo-tagging is certainly one of them.

I think in the main, people dont know that settings by default have geotagging enabled. I totally forgot when I changed phones!

Taffius

Sith Lord
subzero said:
Smart toasters ffs, what's next smart johnny's? so everyone on facebook can see when you're shagging the missus?.. or having a posh smart wank? :lol:

Thats why I recommended microphone off too! :lol:

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
I just checked on my phone, its a an android Vodafone.
When using the actual camera, one can turn off the GPS in the advanced settings.
I'm assuming that's all it takes.

subzero

Sith Lord
Taffius said:
subzero said:

Thats why I recommended microphone off too! :lol:

:shock: :lol:

Taffius

Sith Lord
tobedesu said:
I just checked on my phone, its a an android Vodafone.
When using the actual camera, one can turn off the GPS in the advanced settings.
I'm assuming that's all it takes.

Yes. Usually called gps. To check it works i would take a picture then see if you can get in its properties and find co-ordinates. Should state "No location" somewhere.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Hope that we have got something from this, even Subzero, (my mind is working over time trying not to to think of him with his phone with the mic. on going about his "business"!!! :? )

Snaketibe, the reason that we have connected toasters is...because we can! :wink:

subzero

Sith Lord
subzero said:

****ing hell, I wasn't far off was I? :lol: :lol: had to laugh reading this yesterday.

DSCF8371.JPG

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
subzero said:
subzero said:

****ing hell, I wasn't far off was I? :lol: :lol: had to laugh reading this yesterday.

DSCF8371.JPG
Now, let me guess which "rag" this was in!
:?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom