Buying Dilemma

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Got a bit of a dilemma on my hands. There is something I have wanted for years that has just come up on eBay. In fact this is the exact same one I lost out on about five years ago. I suspected the current seller got it then, and now I know he did. He is asking five times what he paid for it. The guy is a parasite, everything he has for sale is way over priced and he is a known flipper who buys stuff, grades it and then sells for huge undeserved profits.

I have not seen another one of these since. I really do not want to give this twat my money. But I really want the item, and even though I know what he paid for it, I would pay what he is now asking.

What would you do? :?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It's a Buy It Now. There is best offer, but the dilemma here isn't really the money.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
If I wanted it could afford it and would wait a long time for another to come up... I would buy it without hesitation.
Best of luck with your choice, remember you only live once!

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I guess you have to ask yourself how much do you want it? How rare is it? Is it likely to pop up again any time soon? Also ask did he get a bargain last time round; is the item overpriced in today's market? (which is difficult if one hasn't cropped up in the last 5 years).

At least if it has been graded (and there is a COA?) there is a greater percentage that this "rare" item is indeed genuine, even if the grading companies are prone to the odd mistake.

subzero

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Got a bit of a dilemma on my hands. There is something I have wanted for years that has just come up on eBay. In fact this is the exact same one I lost out on about five years ago. I suspected the current seller got it then, and now I know he did. He is asking five times what he paid for it. The guy is a parasite, everything he has for sale is way over priced and he is a known flipper who buys stuff, grades it and then sells for huge undeserved profits.

I have not seen another one of these since. I really do not want to give this twat my money. But I really want the item, and even though I know what he paid for it, I would pay what he is now asking.

What would you do? :?

I'd buy it, if you don't then someone else will, I never let the fact of someone making profit get in the way and prevent me from getting what I want for MY collection, even if he's an arsehole. Use him to get what you want from him and then stay away from him for good unless there's another super rare piece you need that you can't get anywhere else.

It's a shame that you have to pay 5 times what you could have got it for, but if you're happy with the price then I say go for it, if it resurfaces in another 5 years or more then it could be double or more what it is now.

yoda

Sith Lord
If you really want this item and it is hard to find. Make a lower offer to him than it is listed, and then adjust until he bites. At least you'll then have the item and can sell it again for the same price if you ever see a cheaper one that becomes available.

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Fully appreciate your dilemma I have been exactly where you are now; he beat you to the item some time go but as unpleasant as it is given his history, the fact of the matter is he'll ultimately get a buyer for the item (whether it be a day, a week, a month) so he'll still make his profit anyway. If you don't buy it you'll probably feel that you be maintained some degree of moral high ground, but having been in the same position and missing out on the item a second time, I can tell you that high ground doesn't count for much.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Don't ever cut off your nose to spite your face. Yes the seller's an asshole, but you're not, so if you want the piece, can afford it and don't believe it's overpriced in today's market, then make it yours and enjoy it. :)

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
If you buy it will it make you smile when you look at it or will it remind you of an unsatisfactory/less than happy purchase?

Haze

Padawan
Supporter
As annoying as it is don't let that be the reason not to own the item. Especially if it will probably not come up for sale anytime soon.
Make an offer to cut the profit ratio a bit, it will make it feel less annoying if he agrees.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Just buy it and then You can tell us what it is, driving me mad not knowing!

Plus you don't want that feeling when you have missed out on something you really wanted.

Darkest_Logic

Jedi Knight
hi Edd,

If its an item you really want, go for it.

Make him an offer as you said that the item is overpriced and see what he says.

I hope this helps.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Thanks guys. It's actually a game not vintage toys, so nothing anybody here would be interested in I doubt. But it's a dilemma I've faced several times with collecting vintage. The difference here is I have literally only ever seen one of these, this one. Whereas many Star Wars 'grail' pieces like trilogo General Madine or POTF Anakin I have seen for sale several times over the years.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
If you're not spending over the odds I say go for it. I see the dilemma, principles are important and I'd be tempted to tell the guy to go play leapfrog with a unicorn. That said, you buying it or not doesn't change the kind of person he is.

Maybe ask yourself this...suppose it's not the exact same item and it's being sold by someone else at the same price...would you buy it?

Chris

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom