Droid First Aid Advice Needed

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
A terrible accident has befallen one of my IG-88 figures and he has lost an arm. I've tried gluing it back on with superglue, but that failed miserably. I then tried my usually reliable standby, Araldite, but that failed too :?

Can anyone recommend a glue that will re-attach my bounty hunter's arm? I refuse to give up on him and am sure this Forum must possess the knowledge to spare him the trash compactor! Thanks :)

IG-88 Armless.jpg

MarkG

Jedi Master
Get a paper clip and cut about half an inch off the straight bit...

Drill 2 tiny holes in the broken ends... just big enough for the paper clip wire.

Superglue into both holes... stick wire in, and let set.

Did this on a Biker Scout head back in the day, held up very well.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Been told Garilla Glue is pretty good, not tried i5 myself but worth a google.

Palifan

Sith Lord
As mentioned the paperclip or any small metal rod will do the trick. If you don't have access to a dill that's small enough then maybe try pushing a strong pin or needle in it to create the hole you need in each part and then you could use the pin itself as the metal rod once it's cut down a bit.

Hope all gets fixed!

Ian

subzero

Sith Lord
2 part epoxy dude, sets like hard plastic and it works wonders, just only use a tiny amount because you'll see any excess glue around the join as it sets yellow.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
subzero said:
2 part epoxy dude, sets like hard plastic and it works wonders, just only use a tiny amount because you'll see any excess glue around the join as it sets yellow.
That's exactly what Araldite is, and usually I swear by it as the stuff's excellent. Sadly however on this occasion it let me down :-(. I think the contact point was just too small to allow proper bonding.

Thanks everyone for your advice. It sounds like the paperclip method is favourite so far, but as speculated above, I doubt I have a drill bit that thin, as IG's arms are very skinny. I'll hunt around to see if I can find anything else to make a hole that small. Maybe as Ian says, trying to force a needle in might work. And of course once the pin is in position, then hopefully Araldite will hold it :)

In the meantime, if anyone else has any inspiration, please speak up, and I'll post pictures of my success or otherwise once I've given it a try.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Rather than a drill bit, what about heating the paper clip up and then pushing that into the body/arm?
If doing this it may also help to grind the paper clip to a point.
Of course here's the health and safety preach...ensure that the hot paper clip is held with a pair if Plyers and not your fingers.:roll:
The only down side I can see with the pin approach is that the two "holes" in the body and arm will need to be perfectly alighted, otherwise the arm will not look right, if you follow what I mean.

subzero

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
subzero said:
That's exactly what Araldite is, and usually I swear by it as the stuff's excellent. Sadly however on this occasion it let me down :-(. I think the contact point was just too small to allow proper bonding.

Thanks everyone for your advice. It sounds like the paperclip method is favourite so far, but as speculated above, I doubt I have a drill bit that thin, as IG's arms are very skinny. I'll hunt around to see if I can find anything else to make a hole that small. Maybe as Ian says, trying to force a needle in might work. And of course once the pin is in position, then hopefully Araldite will hold it :)

In the meantime, if anyone else has any inspiration, please speak up, and I'll post pictures of my success or otherwise once I've given it a try.

Ahh, I did not know that was called Araldite :lol: learn something new every day.

Good luck getting it fixed though, be sure to post the results.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
A terrible accident has befallen one of my IG-88 figures and he has lost an arm. I've tried gluing it back on with superglue, but that failed miserably. I then tried my usually reliable standby, Araldite, but that failed too :?

Can anyone recommend a glue that will re-attach my bounty hunter's arm? I refuse to give up on him and am sure this Forum must possess the knowledge to spare him the trash compactor! Thanks :)

IG-88 Armless.jpg

How did it happen ? :shock: I think I have found one in a childhood lot that have lost 50% of the hand but never a arm :shock:

I have no idea how to repair it if superglue does not work :(

subzero

Sith Lord
It sounds awful but what about slightly melting the plastic on each end and fusing it together?

I don't know if it's the type of plastic though for that to work... :?:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

IG-88 Armless.jpg

How did it happen ? :shock: I think I have found one in a childhood lot that have lost 50% of the hand but never a arm :shock:

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how it happened. He'd been in a box with lots of other figures for some time, and when I retrieved him he was in two pieces. My best guess is that there may have been a line of weakness in the plastic at that point, and it just happened to get knocked at exactly the right (or wrong!) place, as none of my other IG-88 figures have done this. I'm certainly not rough with my figures either, and as you say, this is not a point at which you would expect the plastic to snap. If it had been EV-9D9's arm snapping off completely I wouldn't have been surprised, as that thing's incredibly delicate, but IG-88's always been more robust... or so I thought!

Subzero, your idea of melting the plastic might possibly work, but I think I'll explore other avenues first as I suspect a melted / re-welded joint will look exactly like what it is!... Perhaps I can call it 'battle-damage'? :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

IG-88 Armless.jpg

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how it happened. He'd been in a box with lots of other figures for some time, and when I retrieved him he was in two pieces. My best guess is that there may have been a line of weakness in the plastic at that point, and it just happened to get knocked at exactly the right (or wrong!) place, as none of my other IG-88 figures have done this. I'm certainly not rough with my figures either, and as you say, this is not a point at which you would expect the plastic to snap. If it had been EV-9D9's arm snapping off completely I wouldn't have been surprised, as that thing's incredibly delicate, but IG-88's always been more robust... or so I thought!

Subzero, your idea of melting the plastic might possibly work, but I think I'll explore other avenues first as I suspect a melted / re-welded joint will look exactly like what it is!... Perhaps I can call it 'battle-damage'? :lol:

Sorry to read he broke like that, yes maybe he had a weakness in the arm :? maybe you can use him for some funny pictures :wink: Sorry that I can't help with the repair :(

subzero

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:

Iv'e thought of another possible fix, if you have a dremmel you could try drilling 2 small holes in each end and wedging in a small piece of matchstick to a tight fit into the upper arm, and then wedge the arm on. Giving him a prosthetic elbow joint. :lol:

And if it doesn't work then at least the 2 holes would be hidden if you do eventually manage to fix the arm back on with another method.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom