Header image

Droid First Aid Advice Needed

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Droid First Aid Advice Needed

Postby Snaketibe » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:01 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:A terrible accident has befallen one of my IG-88 figures and he has lost an arm. I've tried gluing it back on with superglue, but that failed miserably. I then tried my usually reliable standby, Araldite, but that failed too :?

Can anyone recommend a glue that will re-attach my bounty hunter's arm? I refuse to give up on him and am sure this Forum must possess the knowledge to spare him the trash compactor! Thanks :)

IG-88 Armless.jpg

How did it happen ? :shock: I think I have found one in a childhood lot that have lost 50% of the hand but never a arm :shock:

I have no idea how to repair it if superglue does not work :(

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how it happened. He'd been in a box with lots of other figures for some time, and when I retrieved him he was in two pieces. My best guess is that there may have been a line of weakness in the plastic at that point, and it just happened to get knocked at exactly the right (or wrong!) place, as none of my other IG-88 figures have done this. I'm certainly not rough with my figures either, and as you say, this is not a point at which you would expect the plastic to snap. If it had been EV-9D9's arm snapping off completely I wouldn't have been surprised, as that thing's incredibly delicate, but IG-88's always been more robust... or so I thought!

Subzero, your idea of melting the plastic might possibly work, but I think I'll explore other avenues first as I suspect a melted / re-welded joint will look exactly like what it is!... Perhaps I can call it 'battle-damage'? :lol:

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:A terrible accident has befallen one of my IG-88 figures and he has lost an arm. I've tried gluing it back on with superglue, but that failed miserably. I then tried my usually reliable standby, Araldite, but that failed too :?

Can anyone recommend a glue that will re-attach my bounty hunter's arm? I refuse to give up on him and am sure this Forum must possess the knowledge to spare him the trash compactor! Thanks :)

IG-88 Armless.jpg

How did it happen ? :shock: I think I have found one in a childhood lot that have lost 50% of the hand but never a arm :shock:

I have no idea how to repair it if superglue does not work :(

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how it happened. He'd been in a box with lots of other figures for some time, and when I retrieved him he was in two pieces. My best guess is that there may have been a line of weakness in the plastic at that point, and it just happened to get knocked at exactly the right (or wrong!) place, as none of my other IG-88 figures have done this. I'm certainly not rough with my figures either, and as you say, this is not a point at which you would expect the plastic to snap. If it had been EV-9D9's arm snapping off completely I wouldn't have been surprised, as that thing's incredibly delicate, but IG-88's always been more robust... or so I thought!

Subzero, your idea of melting the plastic might possibly work, but I think I'll explore other avenues first as I suspect a melted / re-welded joint will look exactly like what it is!... Perhaps I can call it 'battle-damage'? :lol:

Sorry to read he broke like that, yes maybe he had a weakness in the arm :? maybe you can use him for some funny pictures :wink: Sorry that I can't help with the repair :(

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:36 pm

Snaketibe wrote:Subzero, your idea of melting the plastic might possibly work, but I think I'll explore other avenues first as I suspect a melted / re-welded joint will look exactly like what it is!... Perhaps I can call it 'battle-damage'? :lol:

Iv'e thought of another possible fix, if you have a dremmel you could try drilling 2 small holes in each end and wedging in a small piece of matchstick to a tight fit into the upper arm, and then wedge the arm on. Giving him a prosthetic elbow joint. :lol:

And if it doesn't work then at least the 2 holes would be hidden if you do eventually manage to fix the arm back on with another method.
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:17 pm

What about tape ? :D

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”