Icarus placemats

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Does anyone have or collect these?
0BF6DC68-797A-4C10-96E8-E5F755881CF6.jpeg

I have been up in my loft today, and found some bits and pieces I had forgotten about.
I thought these were sold with everything else when I sold up, used to be able to pick these up for a £1 or so at toy fairs.
I can see that on a few of them the top protective film has come loose, don't remember them being like this when I put them away.
Is this top film coming loose normal or was this usually taken off?

I also found an un boxed speeder bike missing one flap and a handle bar, if anyone has one please get in touch, thanks.
I think that I will try to find the missing bits and get a biker scout to display it as it should be.

If I found these sort of things in my loft, which I had forgotten about, imagine what is out there in lofts around the country just waiting to be re discovered!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
The top film on my ones is not coming off, so that may be a property of the more extreme temperature and perhaps humidity conditions in your loft? What a shame for you, although they do still look very nice in your photo :)

Mine are posted here: http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29936

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
The top film on my ones is not coming off, so that may be a property of the more extreme temperature and perhaps humidity conditions in your loft? What a shame for you, although they do still look very nice in your photo :)

Mine are posted here: http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29936
Thanks, yours look great too.
It's like there is a very thin film of cling film over the front of the placemat, a bit like what's put over the front screen of phones when they are new.
I assume it was there to protect them in transit/before use?
If I was to remove it I don't think anyone woul be any the wiser.
The worse one is the small Luke Hoth one, that one needs to come off, but I will leave the rest alone.
Anyone know how many there were, I know I'm missing the large R2 and C3PO, there must have been mote small ones?

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Oh wow! These really take me back. Such an 80s thing. I didn't have any Star Wars ones as a kid, but I certainly remember having some He-Man and maybe MASK placemats, chowing down on my fish fingers and baked beans after school. :D

I love all this non-action figure paraphernalia too. It sparks just as many fond memories of my childhood. Good find, Nick.

Chris

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
I simply love the Icarus place mats. I was twelve when they were first released in 1982 and they were objects of considerable desire. The only one I managed to afford was the Chewie, Han and Lando. I was a bit dissatisfied with the armaments of the characters, with Han and Lando having puny-looking blasters and Chewie brandishing Bossk's gun!

Mini99, there were six designs in the Star Wars set, so you're missing R2-D2 and C-3PO (maybe the rarest). Only the Ewoks were added to the ROTJ branded set, making it a strangely odd-numbered range.

The plastic film is part of the design. Peeling it off can work but patches of the film can be left behind that that are difficult or impossible to shift. I keep my place mats in a A3 pouch binder which is large enough for the entire range including the two laminated ROTJ posters. The outer edge of the individual pouches need to be cut though, as the mats are a tiny bit larger than A3.

If I can be allowed a shameless plug, I interviewed the artist responsible for the place mats and his recollections are really interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_1820.JPG
    IMG_1820.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 487
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom