Very first vintage figures ever produced

subzero

Sith Lord
Iv'e been wondering the past few days about the first Star Wars figure ever produced, is there one that's known to exist anywhere?, i'm talking literally the very first one, of a prototype loose figure, or even the very first carded sample to ever be put together.

Been wondering if there's a hardcore collector out there somewhere that might actually have something like this, it's an exciting thing to think about, anyone got info on that and also know which character was the very first one to be made?.. or has all this stuff just been lost with time?

I think a lot, and my thoughts need answers. :lol:

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Have you read up on the SWCA about the early concept designs and remaining few bits of wax sculpts/hardcopies of the original 12? That would be a good bet.

subzero

Sith Lord
Dannywhiteley said:
Have you read up on the SWCA about the early concept designs and remaining few bits of wax sculpts/hardcopies of the original 12? That would be a good bet.

Nope I literally know nothing about that, would any of that info have anything about a fully produced plastic figure though?

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
If you have Netflix, there is a good documentary called 'The Toys That Made Us' and that includes interviews with some of the Kenner personnel who created the very first figures.

Perhaps the best anecdote is that the original Jawa that they mocked up was one of the designers brown socks!

subzero

Sith Lord
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
If you have Netflix, there is a good documentary called 'The Toys That Made Us' and that includes interviews with some of the Kenner personnel who created the very first figures.

Perhaps the best anecdote is that the original Jawa that they mocked up was one of the designers brown socks!

Yeah iv'e heard of that documentary, I don't have Netflix though unfortunately, I might get to watch it on youtube one day. :D

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
subzero said:
Dannywhiteley said:

Nope I literally know nothing about that, would any of that info have anything about a fully produced plastic figure though?

First proper plastic figure would probably be a first shot of one of the EB figures. Very early 78 as the figures were rushed and dropped in approx May 78

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
subzero said:
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:

Yeah iv'e heard of that documentary, I don't have Netflix though unfortunately, I might get to watch it on youtube one day. :D

Plastic Galaxy is another great documentary to look out for.

subzero

Sith Lord
Dr_Ball_MD said:
subzero said:
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:

Plastic Galaxy is another great documentary to look out for.

I'll try and youtube that, thanks!

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Dannywhiteley said:

Hi do you have a link to that??

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I remember reading in Steve Sansweet's 1993 book that apparently Princess Grace got one of the first sets. It said something like "she had the happiest kids of Christmas 1977"

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Alltooeasy said:
Dannywhiteley said:

Hi do you have a link to that??

Some info here - http://theswca.com/images-protos.html

subzero

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
I remember reading in Steve Sansweet's 1993 book that apparently Princess Grace got one of the first sets. It said something like "she had the happiest kids of Christmas 1977"

And before everyone else could get any, pays to be a royal huh! :lol:

That's interesting though thanks for letting me know.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Here you go:

70ECFCD2-B2B7-4D18-AD94-9BA2809AE9F8.jpeg

subzero

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Here you go:

70ECFCD2-B2B7-4D18-AD94-9BA2809AE9F8.jpeg

Cheers for that. :) So that's where the very first figures ended up, I wonder if they still exist? :?

Also in that caption - "it's amazing that collectors are now paying up to $100 a piece for some of the first figures mint on their cards"

:shock: Oh if only they could see the future!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom