Header image

Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 12, 2018, Part 2/2

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 12, 2018, Part 2/2

Postby Pomse2001 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:49 am

Snaketibe wrote:
TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:Thanks. Just out of interest, what other 8D8 variants are there other than these two? I'd be very interested to learn about any others which are new to me :-)

As far as I am aware there are just the 4 main variants, as 8D8 only came with a No Coo. Circle on both, no circles, circle on left hip, circle on right hip. Of course there is a Lili Ledy version with hard torso and that may come with the same amount of additional variants?

http://www.highasakoit.co.uk/starwars/8d8.php

Regarding MOCs Joe has / had a focus which can be seen here if you have the photobucket fix

viewtopic.php?t=5538

Thank you. I am interested in collecting visually different variants, so it's nice to know I seem to have 8D8 covered! The two variants with one hip having a circle and the other not, I am allowing myself to skip. Since 8D8's legs can be removed they are effectively interchangeable, and therefore I could never be sure if the legs on a figure with mismatched legs were original to that figure's torso. I'm not about to open a carded one, so I'll be happy with the 2 figures I have :-)

Also, that's a great focus from Joe!

You do not need to open a moc to see if the circles are on both legs or only on one leg :wink:

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:
TheJabbaWookie wrote:
As far as I am aware there are just the 4 main variants, as 8D8 only came with a No Coo. Circle on both, no circles, circle on left hip, circle on right hip. Of course there is a Lili Ledy version with hard torso and that may come with the same amount of additional variants?

http://www.highasakoit.co.uk/starwars/8d8.php

Regarding MOCs Joe has / had a focus which can be seen here if you have the photobucket fix

viewtopic.php?t=5538

Thank you. I am interested in collecting visually different variants, so it's nice to know I seem to have 8D8 covered! The two variants with one hip having a circle and the other not, I am allowing myself to skip. Since 8D8's legs can be removed they are effectively interchangeable, and therefore I could never be sure if the legs on a figure with mismatched legs were original to that figure's torso. I'm not about to open a carded one, so I'll be happy with the 2 figures I have :-)

You do not need to open a moc to see if the circles are on both legs or only on one leg :wink:

That's precisely my point. If I want a loose 8D8 that has one circle hip and one no circle hip, then the only way to be sure that your figure has all its original parts would be to take one off a card yourself... but obviously I won't do that. If you haven't taken the figure off the card yourself, because the legs can be removed and replaced very easily, you cannot know if your 8D8 figure has all the parts it originally came with.

Plastikheld
Regular
Regular

Postby Plastikheld » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:55 pm

Canadian Cardback

http://www.condition10.de | Diary of a Star Wars Action-Figure Collector | Follow me on Image

Jedijut
New User
New User

Postby Jedijut » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:10 am

Picked up a lot of catalogs and card backs. Didn’t pick it up when I bought the lot but the 8D8 had been sold at a department store that my grandmother worked at around the time.
John Martin’s had a few Department stores around the Adelaide (South Australia) area and are famous for starting the Christmas pageant - kind of a big deal if your a kid at Christmas time in Adelaide. Unfortunately the stores were sold off but the memories still remain.
The 8D8 card has the John Martin’s price sticker and the collecting wishes of a child around the Jedi era. Poor tacker couldn’t find a original Luke!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby tigerham » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:47 pm

Some great items and makes for an interesting read. I never really paid too much attention to the 8D8 before but it's actually quite a cool figure. Thanks for sharing all. :)

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:29 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:Thank you. I am interested in collecting visually different variants, so it's nice to know I seem to have 8D8 covered! The two variants with one hip having a circle and the other not, I am allowing myself to skip. Since 8D8's legs can be removed they are effectively interchangeable, and therefore I could never be sure if the legs on a figure with mismatched legs were original to that figure's torso. I'm not about to open a carded one, so I'll be happy with the 2 figures I have :-)

That's precisely my point. If I want a loose 8D8 that has one circle hip and one no circle hip, then the only way to be sure that your figure has all its original parts would be to take one off a card yourself... but obviously I won't do that. If you haven't taken the figure off the card yourself, because the legs can be removed and replaced very easily, you cannot know if your 8D8 figure has all the parts it originally came with.

That is correct you can't be 100% sure. But when you can find them on moc with a circle on only one leg then I see no problem in believe that the loose you get was sold like that in the 80s. I have found many of them in childhood lots and I don't think all the ones in childhood lots have changed legs on them with other kids 8d8 figures :wink:

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:29 pm

Plastikheld wrote:Canadian Cardback

Nice, I love the canadian cardbacks 8)

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:31 pm

Jedijut wrote:Picked up a lot of catalogs and card backs. Didn’t pick it up when I bought the lot but the 8D8 had been sold at a department store that my grandmother worked at around the time.
John Martin’s had a few Department stores around the Adelaide (South Australia) area and are famous for starting the Christmas pageant - kind of a big deal if your a kid at Christmas time in Adelaide. Unfortunately the stores were sold off but the memories still remain.
The 8D8 card has the John Martin’s price sticker and the collecting wishes of a child around the Jedi era. Poor tacker couldn’t find a original Luke!!

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the great story 8)

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:39 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:

That is correct you can't be 100% sure. But when you can find them on moc with a circle on only one leg then I see no problem in believe that the loose you get was sold like that in the 80s. I have found many of them in childhood lots and I don't think all the ones in childhood lots have changed legs on them with other kids 8d8 figures :wink:

I completely agree with you and perhaps I could have been clearer in my reasoning for not wanting the other two variants. I am quite certain that some 8D8 figures definitely will have come with mixed legs. My original point was simply that because they could be swapped over, I personally am not worried about not owning all four leg combinations. I could simply buy another pair of 8D8 figures (one with circles and one without) and swap one of the legs over to make the other two variants, but that's taking variant collecting too far even for me! If the difference in the legs was more obvious, like it is with the tan and grey limbed Klaatus for example, then I might care more. However, since the difference in the 8D8 figures' legs is barely noticeable when viewing the figures from the front anyway, and since those legs can also be changed at will, I am happy to stick with my two 8D8 variants and not add the other two mixed legs versions. Plus, it takes up less shelf space ;-)

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:48 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:That's precisely my point. If I want a loose 8D8 that has one circle hip and one no circle hip, then the only way to be sure that your figure has all its original parts would be to take one off a card yourself... but obviously I won't do that. If you haven't taken the figure off the card yourself, because the legs can be removed and replaced very easily, you cannot know if your 8D8 figure has all the parts it originally came with.

I completely agree with you. And I am quite certain that some 8D8 figures definitely will have come with mixed legs. My original point was simply that because they could be swapped over, I personally am not worried about not owning all four leg combinations. I could simply buy another pair of 8D8 figures (one with circles and one without) and swap one of the legs over to make the other two variants, but that's taking variant collecting too far even for me! If the difference in the legs was more obvious, like it is with the tan and grey limbed Klaatus for example, then I might care more. However, since the difference in the 8D8 figures' legs is barely noticeable when viewing the figures from the front anyway, and since those legs can also be changed at will, I am happy to stick with my two 8D8 variants and not add the other two mixed legs versions. Plus, it takes up less shelf space ;-)

I agree with you, maybe it is more easy for me because I have found all mine in lots, the only 8D8 I have that is not from a lot is my lili ledy and I have the same problem with space :lol: but I can't stop collecting them :lol: So will you go for the lili ledy ? :D

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:16 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:

I completely agree with you. And I am quite certain that some 8D8 figures definitely will have come with mixed legs. My original point was simply that because they could be swapped over, I personally am not worried about not owning all four leg combinations. I could simply buy another pair of 8D8 figures (one with circles and one without) and swap one of the legs over to make the other two variants, but that's taking variant collecting too far even for me! If the difference in the legs was more obvious, like it is with the tan and grey limbed Klaatus for example, then I might care more. However, since the difference in the 8D8 figures' legs is barely noticeable when viewing the figures from the front anyway, and since those legs can also be changed at will, I am happy to stick with my two 8D8 variants and not add the other two mixed legs versions. Plus, it takes up less shelf space ;-)

I agree with you, maybe it is more easy for me because I have found all mine in lots, the only 8D8 I have that is not from a lot is my lili ledy and I have the same problem with space :lol: but I can't stop collecting them :lol: So will you go for the lili ledy ? :D

Will I buy a Lili Ledy 8D8? To be honest, probably not. If the pictures on-line are accurate, the LL & Kenner versions are extremely similar in appearance, and my personal variant collecting goal is to get figures which are visually different from one another (and which I like! Some variants simply don't interest me); and the bigger the difference, the better! However, there's always been a fine line between deciding what constitutes enough of a difference to make a variant that falls into this category and what doesn't, and I won't claim to be entirely consistent about it either! I have some 'variants' that are really hard to tell apart, and for ages I also really wasn't that interested in certain variants that I do now either own or want! So I refuse to rule it out, but for now I have no plans to buy a Ledy 8D8! ;-)

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:48 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:I completely agree with you. And I am quite certain that some 8D8 figures definitely will have come with mixed legs. My original point was simply that because they could be swapped over, I personally am not worried about not owning all four leg combinations. I could simply buy another pair of 8D8 figures (one with circles and one without) and swap one of the legs over to make the other two variants, but that's taking variant collecting too far even for me! If the difference in the legs was more obvious, like it is with the tan and grey limbed Klaatus for example, then I might care more. However, since the difference in the 8D8 figures' legs is barely noticeable when viewing the figures from the front anyway, and since those legs can also be changed at will, I am happy to stick with my two 8D8 variants and not add the other two mixed legs versions. Plus, it takes up less shelf space ;-)

Will I buy a Lili Ledy 8D8? To be honest, probably not. If the pictures on-line are accurate, the LL & Kenner versions are extremely similar in appearance, and my personal variant collecting goal is to get figures which are visually different from one another (and which I like! Some variants simply don't interest me); and the bigger the difference, the better! However, there's always been a fine line between deciding what constitutes enough of a difference to make a variant that falls into this category and what doesn't, and I won't claim to be entirely consistent about it either! I have some 'variants' that are really hard to tell apart, and for ages I also really wasn't that interested in certain variants that I do now either own or want! So I refuse to rule it out, but for now I have no plans to buy a Ledy 8D8! ;-)

I totally understand, we all collect different :wink: The Lili Ledy torso is in white hard plastic, just like the pbp stormtrooper, the eyes is darker, the brown part on the chest is darker, there is also much better details on the back on the 8D8 lili ledy. I do not know if you knew that ? :wink:

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:03 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:

I totally understand, we all collect different :wink: The Lili Ledy torso is in white hard plastic, just like the pbp stormtrooper, the eyes is darker, the brown part on the chest is darker, there is also much better details on the back on the 8D8 lili ledy. I do not know if you knew that ? :wink:

The back being more detailed doesn't really appeal to me, as I display my figures from the front (apart from the Lili Ledy Klaatu Skiff variants, of course). However If the paint is noticeably darker on the figure's front then I might be tempted :-)

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:44 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:Will I buy a Lili Ledy 8D8? To be honest, probably not. If the pictures on-line are accurate, the LL & Kenner versions are extremely similar in appearance, and my personal variant collecting goal is to get figures which are visually different from one another (and which I like! Some variants simply don't interest me); and the bigger the difference, the better! However, there's always been a fine line between deciding what constitutes enough of a difference to make a variant that falls into this category and what doesn't, and I won't claim to be entirely consistent about it either! I have some 'variants' that are really hard to tell apart, and for ages I also really wasn't that interested in certain variants that I do now either own or want! So I refuse to rule it out, but for now I have no plans to buy a Ledy 8D8! ;-)

The back being more detailed doesn't really appeal to me, as I display my figures from the front (apart from the Lili Ledy Klaatu Skiff variants, of course). However If the paint is noticeably darker on the figure's front then I might be tempted :-)

Here is a picture of the lili ledy to the right and a kenner to the left, even the details is better on the front :D

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:55 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:

Here is a picture of the lili ledy to the right and a kenner to the left, even the details is better on the front :D

Thanks. Looks like I might have to start looking for one then! :-D
Last edited by Snaketibe on Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”