THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 46 LAUNCHED

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
46-pod.jpg

Episode 46 : SupercalifragilisticexpialiGeorgoulias

March brings us the longest Vintage Rebellion podcast to date, with Jez still absent without leave the rest of the team can't stop talking.

Chris Georgoulias joins Stuart and Richard for this months main interview. Chris discusses a plethora of things including his work with the SWCA and his recent trip to Death Valley amongst many other topics.

Mike Havens joins Rich during Rebel Briefings to discuss his convention ICCC. Rich also looks at the best collecting books available and delves into an eBay auction.

Newest Acquisitions sees the team look at Palitoy, Helix, Australian Pencil cases, Canadian 2 packs as well as many other items including their focus topic of the Palitoy Droid Factory. Mark Daniels and Chris Hogg also drop by to discuss their recent purchases.

During the second instalment of Pete's new segment, he follows on from the Droid Factory discussion looking at other droid items outside of the toy line. He brings us the Droid Factory top 5 and can Simon finally win Gimcrack of the month? Don't bet on it!

Simon delves into the market where he looks at eBay and recent auction sales.

Whilst Iain Sanderson joins Stuart for a follow up to his Interview from Episode 1. Iain revisits all the topics he discussed four years ago, has his collecting habits changed?

As well as all this the boys discuss collecting ethics after being accused of snobbery on their opinion on reproduction items last month, whilst they also have their usual quiz and general discussion.

All this plus much more including a Running Stormtrooper update.

Enjoy the show!!!

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
I only caught the first half hour so far but I have to say I 100% agree with Pete on the repro items couldn't have put it better myself.

When I first came back into collecting I got stung with a lumat bow and black palace blaster lost a lot of money. The seller just claimed he didn't know what I was talking about so most plead ignorance and it's got to stop.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Down loaded and alteady an hour in.
Really enjoyed the repro article, you guys being accused of snobbery really cracked me up! :lol:
And of course the quiz was it's usual mixture of fun and anarchy, loved it!
Looking forward to the next 5 hours, which will fly by I'm sure.

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Always brightens up my day when I see a new podcast pop up on my phone - cheers lads!

I'm half an hour in, and I 100% agree with you about repro, it's poisoning the hobby and I can't see any legitimate reason why anyone should want that crap in a collection.

Just a gentle correction to Stuart, the Letraset repro that's been on eBay for years hasn't been mass produced by Orme or his equivalent. It's from Steve Sansweet's Star Wars Vault book from a few years back, which came with various reproduction paper and card items. It's very obviously a poor copy of the original when you have it in hand.

Looking forward to the rest of the show! Helix and Palitoy discussion, right up my street :D

Taffius

Sith Lord
Richard_H said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Looking forward to the best collecting books available feature Rich. Thanks for listening to my plea :D

Damn mate sorry I thought it was Taffius who suggested it.

Probably because I am always pestering you guys for stuff. :lol:

Jez playmate? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Taffius

Sith Lord
Echo comments and stance on repro. I am so lucky I waited and listened to advice here and the trust embedded with the rules and other seller ethics.

As a noob returner I could of been well out of pocket and introduced items I did not want or welcome. Could of also introduced risk of passing it on unknowly, etc.

I have truly been enlightened about ethical collecting and since returning to the hobby I cannot believe how good an ethical stance feels. Its not about purity, its about doing right by your fellow collectors that work so hard to establish collections and enhance lives. I am sure I have made wrong decisions and errors already but never intentionally and the more I learn it must surely be better for the pastime and keeping interest.

SWF is a community leader I believe and I feel more passion now about rescuing geniune figures and items (apack and others are inspirational in their field) than the ambition of a good condition loose run intent that I started with.

Thanks again TVR and SWF. SWRS away!

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Still only halfway through, but brilliant episode so far. The repro debate was excellent and I couldn't agree more with the analogies made. If you collect modern copies, you're not a vintage collector. By definition. If I buy a modern VW Beetle I'm not gonna try turning up to vintage VW events wanting to join the party. That's fine, if that floats your boat, no one should question other's Star Wars fandom. But the point about repros being bought knowing they're repros and claiming that they'll never sell them on, well, this guy didn't get that memo it seems. :roll:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25349821...d=332599971111&itm=253498219028&ul_noapp=true

Chris

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
That ebay seller also has this item and in my opinion this is one of the worst things iv ever seen reproduced stand buy for WTF's

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-Vintage-Barada-POTF-92-back-Kenner/253495224601?_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49131%26meid%3D95d8080a40ab422d8e48445220f01203%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D253498219028%26itm%3D253495224601&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

Its not a crazy price but still repro. At least it clearly wont fool anyone

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Stubbs said:
That ebay seller also has this item and in my opinion this is one of the worst things iv ever seen reproduced stand buy for WTF's

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-Vintage-Barada-POTF-92-back-Kenner/253495224601?_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49131%26meid%3D95d8080a40ab422d8e48445220f01203%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D253498219028%26itm%3D253495224601&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

This one made me laugh too...same seller...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-War...048469?hash=item3b05d70695:g:-IEAAOSw~vNarpsF

I can't remember which of the podcast guys mentioned it specifically, but this reinforces the point that you can buy an original for the same, if not less on a good day, than this repro junk. There are several AST-5s on ebay right now. Boxed, with inserts and all original for anywhere between £20 and £35. The argument for having these in lieu of "unobtainable, expense" originals just doesn't hold water probably a good 70% of the time.

Taffius

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
Richard_H said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Looking forward to the best collecting books available feature Rich. Thanks for listening to my plea :D

That Taffius... always stealing the limelight. In this case he's welcome to it, don't fancy being Jez's new play thing :lol:

Its Richard getting old. You have to allow for these things as its the pc thing to do. Lets just all pretend its each other and then that way he cannot get it wrong! :lol:

As for Jez playmate, some amongst have to stand up for the ones not present to defend themselves!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Taffius

Sith Lord
TK-7785 said:
Stubbs said:

The character in "About this item" also states Snaggletooth! :lol:

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Listened to the Repro debate and Rebel Briefings so far. The book section was great, thanks guys. I have Javier's book, I'd be lost buying PBP without it, and the Tomarts Guide is awesome. Never knew so much stuff was out there. I'll be sure to check out some of the other recommended titles especially Stephane Faucourt's Meccano to Trilogo offering.

The Repro debate was interesting. I think I'm more Richard than Pete with my stance. Anti but not anti anti. I've always thought there are two types of people that buy Repro. Genuine Star Wars fans that love the figures, accessories and artwork on the cards but honestly can't afford to shell out on a black Endor blaster, Princess Leia Blaster or Vader 12 back but still want something to display. Not everyone has the money to throw around that you see on FB. TBH if this is what they want to do I really don't have a problem with that (probably in the minority) as long as they never sell it on (though I can definitely see Pete's point that you can't police this).

IMO the problem really comes from the other camp. The likes of paugildin, tomli_6 or replicator-boxes-and-inserts who are deliberately deceiving people by trying to pass off Repro as the genuine article, or massively overcharging collectors for one reason only - to make money.

But something that Pete said during the Brian's Toys interview seemed to hit home with me which was that if he couldn't afford a black Endor blaster then he doesn't buy one and goes without, and it got me thinking - I've always wanted a Camero but I can't afford one, so I don't buy one and I certainly don't buy a fake one either. I think the longer I've been in the hobby the tougher my stance on Repro and Pete's statement has helped change my perspective a little bit more. Cheers guys.

Richard_H

Grand Master
Taffius said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Richard_H said:
That Taffius... always stealing the limelight. In this case he's welcome to it, don't fancy being Jez's new play thing :lol:

Its Richard getting old. You have to allow for these things as its the pc thing to do. Lets just all pretend its each other and then that way he cannot get it wrong! :lol:

As for Jez playmate, some amongst have to stand up for the ones not present to defend themselves!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not present and unable to when present. :lol:

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
As someone who is returning to the hobby I found the repro debate very interesting.
Something that's made pause to think is this: I recently purchased a boxed battle damaged X-Wing from a trusted seller. The box is in decent condition with only the insert missing. I briefly considered using a repro insert, which by being itself repro makes me uncomfortable but it would purely be used to keep safe the X-Wing inside.
I also realise that it could be considered complete if I was the type of person who wanted to dupe someone. I'm not, but I realise that further down the line it could be moved on like mentioned in the podcast.
On the other hand I suppose I could probably pick up another empty box with an insert for a decent price.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Thanks for another great episode guys and to the interviewees.

It never ceases to amaze me when my name appears due to a minor purchase. I've said this before but what makes this show great it's about all types of collecting. There's interesting stuff at all levels.

And this has to be the longest podcast I've ever listened too. Not a complaint - try and top it, I say.

edit - I believe my Spanish shitting Vader is part of a tradition of putting a defecating person into a Christmas crib/ manger display to show that everything isn't happy and rosy in the world! Markets will sell them in any pop culture/ famous person for the tourists. But, yes, sadly it's not vintage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom