Header image

THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 46 LAUNCHED

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Stuart Skinner
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 46 LAUNCHED

Postby Stuart Skinner » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:31 pm

46-pod.jpg

Episode 46 : SupercalifragilisticexpialiGeorgoulias

March brings us the longest Vintage Rebellion podcast to date, with Jez still absent without leave the rest of the team can't stop talking.

Chris Georgoulias joins Stuart and Richard for this months main interview. Chris discusses a plethora of things including his work with the SWCA and his recent trip to Death Valley amongst many other topics.

Mike Havens joins Rich during Rebel Briefings to discuss his convention ICCC. Rich also looks at the best collecting books available and delves into an eBay auction.

Newest Acquisitions sees the team look at Palitoy, Helix, Australian Pencil cases, Canadian 2 packs as well as many other items including their focus topic of the Palitoy Droid Factory. Mark Daniels and Chris Hogg also drop by to discuss their recent purchases.

During the second instalment of Pete's new segment, he follows on from the Droid Factory discussion looking at other droid items outside of the toy line. He brings us the Droid Factory top 5 and can Simon finally win Gimcrack of the month? Don't bet on it!

Simon delves into the market where he looks at eBay and recent auction sales.

Whilst Iain Sanderson joins Stuart for a follow up to his Interview from Episode 1. Iain revisits all the topics he discussed four years ago, has his collecting habits changed?

As well as all this the boys discuss collecting ethics after being accused of snobbery on their opinion on reproduction items last month, whilst they also have their usual quiz and general discussion.

All this plus much more including a Running Stormtrooper update.

Enjoy the show!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/star-wars-vintage-rebellion/id1001257470?mt=2

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 46 LAUNCHED

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:48 pm

Looking forward to the best collecting books available feature Rich. Thanks for listening to my plea :D

Taffius
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Taffius » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:08 pm

Stuart Skinner wrote:46-pod.jpg

Episode 46 : SupercalifragilisticexpialiGeorgoulias

Enjoy the show!!!

On it! Thanks guys. Your awesome! :D

Stubbs
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Stubbs » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:29 pm

I only caught the first half hour so far but I have to say I 100% agree with Pete on the repro items couldn't have put it better myself.

When I first came back into collecting I got stung with a lumat bow and black palace blaster lost a lot of money. The seller just claimed he didn't know what I was talking about so most plead ignorance and it's got to stop.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:37 pm

Down loaded and alteady an hour in.
Really enjoyed the repro article, you guys being accused of snobbery really cracked me up! :lol:
And of course the quiz was it’s usual mixture of fun and anarchy, loved it!
Looking forward to the next 5 hours, which will fly by I’m sure.

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:17 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:Looking forward to the best collecting books available feature Rich. Thanks for listening to my plea :D

Damn mate sorry I thought it was Taffius who suggested it.
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

AndyPreston
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyPreston » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Always brightens up my day when I see a new podcast pop up on my phone - cheers lads!

I’m half an hour in, and I 100% agree with you about repro, it’s poisoning the hobby and I can’t see any legitimate reason why anyone should want that crap in a collection.

Just a gentle correction to Stuart, the Letraset repro that’s been on eBay for years hasn’t been mass produced by Orme or his equivalent. It’s from Steve Sansweet’s Star Wars Vault book from a few years back, which came with various reproduction paper and card items. It’s very obviously a poor copy of the original when you have it in hand.

Looking forward to the rest of the show! Helix and Palitoy discussion, right up my street :D
Looking for Palitoy 12 back Jawa and Leia Hoth on any Palitoy ESB card. Damaged cards or reseals OK.
Also any non-toy vintage British items esp. store displays, advertising & promotional items, and cast & crew or prop items.

Taffius
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Taffius » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:54 pm

Richard_H wrote:
TheJabbaWookie wrote:Looking forward to the best collecting books available feature Rich. Thanks for listening to my plea :D

Probably because I am always pestering you guys for stuff. :lol:

Jez playmate? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Taffius on Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taffius
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Taffius » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:12 pm

Echo comments and stance on repro. I am so lucky I waited and listened to advice here and the trust embedded with the rules and other seller ethics.

As a noob returner I could of been well out of pocket and introduced items I did not want or welcome. Could of also introduced risk of passing it on unknowly, etc.

I have truly been enlightened about ethical collecting and since returning to the hobby I cannot believe how good an ethical stance feels. Its not about purity, its about doing right by your fellow collectors that work so hard to establish collections and enhance lives. I am sure I have made wrong decisions and errors already but never intentionally and the more I learn it must surely be better for the pastime and keeping interest.

SWF is a community leader I believe and I feel more passion now about rescuing geniune figures and items (apack and others are inspirational in their field) than the ambition of a good condition loose run intent that I started with.

Thanks again TVR and SWF. SWRS away!

TK-7785
Regular
Regular

Postby TK-7785 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:00 pm

Still only halfway through, but brilliant episode so far. The repro debate was excellent and I couldn't agree more with the analogies made. If you collect modern copies, you're not a vintage collector. By definition. If I buy a modern VW Beetle I'm not gonna try turning up to vintage VW events wanting to join the party. That's fine, if that floats your boat, no one should question other's Star Wars fandom. But the point about repros being bought knowing they're repros and claiming that they'll never sell them on, well, this guy didn't get that memo it seems. :roll:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253498219028?_trksid=p11021.c100851.m5053&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170803121420%26meid%3D62c3b6204c82449080dd5070bf7b8270%26pid%3D100851%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D332599971111%26itm%3D253498219028&ul_noapp=true

Chris
WANTED:
Rebel Commando MOCs - Kenner ROTJ 65c / Kenner ROTJ 79b / Palitoy ROTJ 65c / Tri-Logo
ROTJ Store Display Items

Stubbs
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Stubbs » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:29 pm

That ebay seller also has this item and in my opinion this is one of the worst things iv ever seen reproduced stand buy for WTF's

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-Vi ... 0752.m1982

Its not a crazy price but still repro. At least it clearly wont fool anyone

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:58 pm

Richard_H wrote:

That Taffius... always stealing the limelight. In this case he’s welcome to it, don’t fancy being Jez’s new play thing :lol:

TK-7785
Regular
Regular

Postby TK-7785 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:14 pm

Stubbs wrote:That ebay seller also has this item and in my opinion this is one of the worst things iv ever seen reproduced stand buy for WTF's

This one made me laugh too...same seller...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-AST-5-boxed-Kenner/253501048469?hash=item3b05d70695:g:-IEAAOSw~vNarpsF

I can't remember which of the podcast guys mentioned it specifically, but this reinforces the point that you can buy an original for the same, if not less on a good day, than this repro junk. There are several AST-5s on ebay right now. Boxed, with inserts and all original for anywhere between £20 and £35. The argument for having these in lieu of "unobtainable, expense" originals just doesn't hold water probably a good 70% of the time.
WANTED:
Rebel Commando MOCs - Kenner ROTJ 65c / Kenner ROTJ 79b / Palitoy ROTJ 65c / Tri-Logo
ROTJ Store Display Items

Taffius
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Taffius » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:30 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Richard_H wrote:

That Taffius... always stealing the limelight. In this case he’s welcome to it, don’t fancy being Jez’s new play thing :lol:

Its Richard getting old. You have to allow for these things as its the pc thing to do. Lets just all pretend its each other and then that way he cannot get it wrong! :lol:

As for Jez playmate, some amongst have to stand up for the ones not present to defend themselves!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Taffius
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Taffius » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:33 pm

TK-7785 wrote:
Stubbs wrote:That ebay seller also has this item and in my opinion this is one of the worst things iv ever seen reproduced stand buy for WTF's

The character in "About this item" also states Snaggletooth! :lol:

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”