Header image

Vintage Die Cast Tie Bomber

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Vintage Die Cast Tie Bomber

Postby spoons » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:44 am

retrotoyinfo wrote:Around the time I bought mine, I was led to believe the Tie Bomber was only trialed in three US States and was not available anywhere else. Theswca say was a test market of 75,000. This seems a disputed fact. Someone on one website who claims to own two bought at Toys R Us in 1980 states "As it turned out, just a few test markets were used to place these items and one of the chosen few was here in San Diego. "

My memory is a bit vague, but I bought mine in the USA, but sometime in the early 2000s. I can't remember what I paid, was probably around £300. I had it graded immediately by DCA, was always disappointed that it only got 75 grade, which seems a bit silly now considering it's rarity. There is a tear on the prices sticker area, and a few other things, but I always thought it should have been graded higher. When I bought it I knew it was rare, and sought one for some time, but even then was not highly sought after as much as it might be now. The other thing I wanted was a boxed 12" ESB IG-88, which I also managed to obtain.

I looked into the test run story in some depth. There is no source for the story (the guys at SWCA can't remember where it came from) but there is evidence for sales across the USA not just Cincinnati.

Based on current availability the Bombers are no rarer than any of the larger die cast ships in ESB packaging, they just have a lot more hype as that weas their only release.

Mini quotes my research above

Mini99 wrote:This is a great link to Andy’s (spoons) website which has in-depth information on all the die cast range.
https://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk/the-toys/tie-bomber
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Re: Vintage Die Cast Tie Bomber

Postby edd_jedi » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:02 pm

retrotoyinfo wrote:I had it graded immediately by DCA, was always disappointed that it only got 75 grade, which seems a bit silly now considering it's rarity.

Unfortunately rarity has nothing to do with the grade, a beater Prune Face will get exactly the same grade as a beater Vlix. The way it should be IMO.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”