Toys R Us - Goodbye

Leemcl

Jedi Master
My two girls and I had our last ever Toys r Us experience on Saturday. The girls got themselves something nice and I was delighted to see my 10 year old buy the Leia / Ewok forces of Destiny doll. No prompting from Dad either. She really wanted it (honestly)

Me - well I have to confess to buying some "modern" nonsense. I paid £6 for a Fett / Solo figure double park. My intention to case it along with the Toys R Us receipt and keep it forever more.

I recognise I have probably ticked every box in the sad dad / mid life crisis / inner child analysis box. But frankly don't care much.

More broadly. It's utterly awful that corporate greed sent Toys R Us under. 10 years on from Woolworths another company goes pop for avoidable reasons. It makes me angry, very angry. Thousands of jobs lost for avoidable reasons. Buy a company. Rack up debt on debt. Send it under and walk away. I spoke to a woman on check out and she had tears in her eyes honestly not knowing when her job would be gone and what she was going to do. Awful.

Leemcl

Jedi Master
The lady I spoke to said it was likely to be 2-3 weeks maybe end of month if they were lucky.

The one thing i'll take away from looking around the store is the image of families choosing toys for their kids, the majority i'd hope with love and caring in their hearts.

That's been taken away by corporate greed.

subzero

Sith Lord
I have great visual memories of being in Toys R Us with my parents and brothers, they may have gone under to never come back, but nobody can take my memories away from me which are very much still alive. :D

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
subzero said:
I have great visual memories of being in Toys R Us with my parents and brothers, they may have gone under to never come back, but nobody can take my memories away from me which are very much still alive. :D

Memories last a lifetime.

Russ :D

lejackal

Grand Master
Just the simple fact that there were pegwarmers sat there from TFA at full price even a few weeks ago confirms for me that they (the company) deserve their fate. If you they were too stupid/greedy to not understand the marketplace they had operated in for four decades has evolved there was never likely to be any other outcome.

As stated by others it's the employees, particularly the front line staff, that I feel for and I wish them well.

Mrleemur

Jedi Knight
well aside from Constable Zuvio, still hanging around when he's only £2 in the sale, even a couple of weeks ago there were the Toryn Farr Black Series figures STILL on the hangers!!

that's about 4 years they've been hanging around.

Leemcl

Jedi Master
lejackal said:
Just the simple fact that there were pegwarmers sat there from TFA at full price even a few weeks ago confirms for me that they (the company) deserve their fate. If you they were too stupid/greedy to not understand the marketplace they had operated in for four decades has evolved there was never likely to be any other outcome.

As stated by others it's the employees, particularly the front line staff, that I feel for and I wish them well.

Sadly mate. It was a working business the reason it's gone under is not to do with those TFA peg warmers or a 12" Rose Tico doll....sadly it's just people buying a profitable business and borrowing against it until it goes under.

MarkG

Jedi Master
Popped into my local one earlier.... a truly sad sight.

Store has literally been cut in half... all remaining stock moved to the front and barriers put up from there to the back.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
MarkG said:
Popped into my local one earlier.... a truly sad sight.

Store has literally been cut in half... all remaining stock moved to the front and barriers put up from there to the back.

I remember when Woolworths was like that. I'd go in every few days and the shop would be getting smaller and smaller, shelving steadily being taken down in the background.
They even sold off the shelving units as well as its stock.
And now it's a Poundland.

MarkG

Jedi Master
tobedesu said:
I remember when Woolworths was like that. I'd go in every few days and the shop would be getting smaller and smaller, shelving steadily being taken down in the background.
They even sold off the shelving units as well as its stock.
And now it's a Poundland.

Yup.. they had a sign up stating all fixtures and fittings are up for sale... even baskets and trolleys.

A fair few of the Woolies from this area turned into Icelands or discount factories.

subzero

Sith Lord
apack7229 said:
subzero said:
apack7229 said:
I actually picked up a shopping cart from my local store. :lol:

:lol: :lol: I can't tell if you're joking or not!

You may never know. :wink: But I'm not. I actually have one. Don't know what I'll do with it though.

I'm sensing the most weird and interesting 'latest acquisitions' post coming. :lol:

Leemcl

Jedi Master
apack7229 said:
subzero said:
apack7229 said:
I actually picked up a shopping cart from my local store. :lol:

You may never know. :wink: But I'm not. I actually have one. Don't know what I'll do with it though.

Put it in a random field

Drive it into the local river / pond

Dump it up the garages

Common things to do with trollies back in the 80's

I am just joking before anyone gets SJW about the environment.

apack7229

Sith Lord
subzero said:
I'm sensing the most weird and interesting 'latest acquisitions' post coming. :lol:

I might just keep it a secret and let you try to figure it out on your own. :lol: once the weather clears up I'll take a picture.

subzero

Sith Lord
Leemcl said:
apack7229 said:
subzero said:

Put it in a random field

Dump it up the garages

You've just described all the common things that people still do today with trollies round where I live. :lol:

apack here's a good idea, turn it into a piece of art, get a load of empty toy boxes and fill up some vintage Toys R Us carrier bags and fill the trolley up with them. :)

apack7229

Sith Lord
Leemcl said:
Put it in a random field

Dump it up the garages

I actually have no clue what I'm going to do with it yet. It seems a lot larger than when it was in the store.

apack7229

Sith Lord
subzero said:
apack here's a good idea, turn it into a piece of art, get a load of empty toy boxes and fill up some vintage Toys R Us carrier bags and fill the trolley up with them. :)

That is a good idea.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom