Header image

Toys R Us - Goodbye

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Leemcl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:05 am

Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby Leemcl » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:12 am

My two girls and I had our last ever Toys r Us experience on Saturday. The girls got themselves something nice and I was delighted to see my 10 year old buy the Leia / Ewok forces of Destiny doll. No prompting from Dad either. She really wanted it (honestly)

Me - well I have to confess to buying some “modern” nonsense. I paid £6 for a Fett / Solo figure double park. My intention to case it along with the Toys R Us receipt and keep it forever more.

I recognise I have probably ticked every box in the sad dad / mid life crisis / inner child analysis box. But frankly don’t care much.

More broadly. It’s utterly awful that corporate greed sent Toys R Us under. 10 years on from Woolworths another company goes pop for avoidable reasons. It makes me angry, very angry. Thousands of jobs lost for avoidable reasons. Buy a company. Rack up debt on debt. Send it under and walk away. I spoke to a woman on check out and she had tears in her eyes honestly not knowing when her job would be gone and what she was going to do. Awful.

User avatar
wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:40 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby wrighty » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:03 am

What is the actual date that TRU will be closed forever in the UK?

Leemcl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:05 am

Re: Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby Leemcl » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:06 am

The lady I spoke to said it was likely to be 2-3 weeks maybe end of month if they were lucky.

The one thing i’ll take away from looking around the store is the image of families choosing toys for their kids, the majority i’d hope with love and caring in their hearts.

That’s been taken away by corporate greed.

User avatar
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2940
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby subzero » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:36 am

I have great visual memories of being in Toys R Us with my parents and brothers, they may have gone under to never come back, but nobody can take my memories away from me which are very much still alive. :D
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

User avatar
Ruby2511
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:58 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby Ruby2511 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:23 pm

subzero wrote:I have great visual memories of being in Toys R Us with my parents and brothers, they may have gone under to never come back, but nobody can take my memories away from me which are very much still alive. :D



Memories last a lifetime.

Russ :D
Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

User avatar
lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 4947
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:34 am
Contact:

Re: Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby lejackal » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:21 pm

Just the simple fact that there were pegwarmers sat there from TFA at full price even a few weeks ago confirms for me that they (the company) deserve their fate. If you they were too stupid/greedy to not understand the marketplace they had operated in for four decades has evolved there was never likely to be any other outcome.

As stated by others it's the employees, particularly the front line staff, that I feel for and I wish them well.

Mrleemur
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby Mrleemur » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:24 pm

well aside from Constable Zuvio, still hanging around when he's only £2 in the sale, even a couple of weeks ago there were the Toryn Farr Black Series figures STILL on the hangers!!

that's about 4 years they've been hanging around.

Leemcl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:05 am

Re: Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby Leemcl » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:13 pm

lejackal wrote:Just the simple fact that there were pegwarmers sat there from TFA at full price even a few weeks ago confirms for me that they (the company) deserve their fate. If you they were too stupid/greedy to not understand the marketplace they had operated in for four decades has evolved there was never likely to be any other outcome.

As stated by others it's the employees, particularly the front line staff, that I feel for and I wish them well.


Sadly mate. It was a working business the reason it’s gone under is not to do with those TFA peg warmers or a 12” Rose Tico doll....sadly it’s just people buying a profitable business and borrowing against it until it goes under.

User avatar
MarkG
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 801
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:31 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby MarkG » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Popped into my local one earlier.... a truly sad sight.

Store has literally been cut in half... all remaining stock moved to the front and barriers put up from there to the back.
Wanted - Boxed Lili Ledy Speeder Bike

User avatar
tobedesu
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:05 pm
Location: Japan

Re: Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby tobedesu » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:29 pm

MarkG wrote:Popped into my local one earlier.... a truly sad sight.

Store has literally been cut in half... all remaining stock moved to the front and barriers put up from there to the back.


I remember when Woolworths was like that. I'd go in every few days and the shop would be getting smaller and smaller, shelving steadily being taken down in the background.
They even sold off the shelving units as well as its stock.
And now it's a Poundland.

User avatar
MarkG
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 801
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:31 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby MarkG » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:43 pm

tobedesu wrote:
I remember when Woolworths was like that. I'd go in every few days and the shop would be getting smaller and smaller, shelving steadily being taken down in the background.
They even sold off the shelving units as well as its stock.
And now it's a Poundland.


Yup.. they had a sign up stating all fixtures and fittings are up for sale... even baskets and trolleys.

A fair few of the Woolies from this area turned into Icelands or discount factories.
Wanted - Boxed Lili Ledy Speeder Bike

User avatar
apack7229
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1113
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:35 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby apack7229 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:45 pm

I actually picked up a shopping cart from my local store. :lol:
My Fett Showcase viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33548

My Vintage Showcase viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34130

My Cardback Showcase viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34270

User avatar
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2940
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby subzero » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:58 pm

apack7229 wrote:I actually picked up a shopping cart from my local store. :lol:


:lol: :lol: I can't tell if you're joking or not!
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

User avatar
apack7229
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1113
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:35 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby apack7229 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:36 pm

subzero wrote:
apack7229 wrote:I actually picked up a shopping cart from my local store. :lol:


:lol: :lol: I can't tell if you're joking or not!


You may never know. :wink: But I’m not. I actually have one. Don’t know what I’ll do with it though.
My Fett Showcase viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33548

My Vintage Showcase viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34130

My Cardback Showcase viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34270

User avatar
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2940
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby subzero » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:31 am

apack7229 wrote:
subzero wrote:
apack7229 wrote:I actually picked up a shopping cart from my local store. :lol:


:lol: :lol: I can't tell if you're joking or not!


You may never know. :wink: But I’m not. I actually have one. Don’t know what I’ll do with it though.


I'm sensing the most weird and interesting 'latest acquisitions' post coming. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: brfc and 11 guests

cron