Header image

Toys R Us - Goodbye

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Leemcl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Toys R Us - Goodbye

Postby Leemcl » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Imagine deep deep deep in some old Toys R Us stock room. Behind years and years of old tat....there is a few boxes of left over of mint vintage MoCs. Oh to dream.....

Got to be some somewhere. We need more Niktos MoC

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Leemcl wrote:Imagine deep deep deep in some old Toys R Us stock room. Behind years and years of old tat....there is a few boxes of left over of mint vintage MoCs. Oh to dream.....

There has to be a pallet of Ree Yees lurking around one of these warehouses? :lol:

I used to work for a remainder book store. They bought a bulk load of cheap books and in amongst it was a few cases of Madonna’s sex book. At the time they were going for a fortune. So you never know what old stock is out there!!!

Taffius
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Taffius » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:25 pm

apack7229 wrote:I went back down to my local toysrus and picked up some more stuff. I also picked up these.

Were these characters in ROTJ on endor? :lol:

apack7229
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby apack7229 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:57 pm

Taffius wrote:
apack7229 wrote:I went back down to my local toysrus and picked up some more stuff. I also picked up these.

Were these characters in ROTJ on endor? :lol:

Yeah you might of missed them but they were there. :lol:
My Fett Showcase viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33548

My Vintage Showcase viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34130

My Cardback Showcase viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34270

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:48 pm

Those are quite iconic, did you have to buy them?
How big are they, and what are you going to do with them?
They would look good displayed with the shopping cart as an homage!

apack7229
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby apack7229 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:08 am

I had to pay about $1 each. They’re plastic and about 3-4 feet. I’m planing on trying to get more. The shopping cart idea does sound good.

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:57 am

Leemcl wrote:Imagine deep deep deep in some old Toys R Us stock room. Behind years and years of old tat....there is a few boxes of left over of mint vintage MoCs. Oh to dream.....

I'd love to be the guy who discovers that case or box hidden away in a shady corner of an old dusty stock room loaded with rare vintage SW toys, imagine the buzz!

Or even better, to think that out there right now there could even be something as special as an entire locked up unit full of old shop stock, that somebody left locked up and never returned back to and got completely forgotten about for any number of reasons. With these toys not being valuable or collectable at the time when they were new then they could have very easily been forgotten about, so it's likely there's at least one unit out there somewhere full of vintage toys that could get discovered when the old unit/building is targeted to be knocked down or bought up after the owner dies.

In Birmingham there are so many locked & boarded up old units, garages and buildings that look like they haven't been touched in decades, imagine how many there must be in the entire UK that could have some old boxes hidden away. :shock:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:30 am

subzero wrote:

I'd love to be the guy who discovers that case or box hidden away in a shady corner of an old dusty stock room loaded with rare vintage SW toys, imagine the buzz!

Or even better, to think that out there right now there could even be something as special as an entire locked up unit full of old shop stock, that somebody left locked up and never returned back to and got completely forgotten about for any number of reasons. With these toys not being valuable or collectable at the time when they were new then they could have very easily been forgotten about, so it's likely there's at least one unit out there somewhere full of vintage toys that could get discovered when the old unit/building is targeted to be knocked down or bought up after the owner dies.

In Birmingham there are so many locked & boarded up old units, garages and buildings that look like they haven't been touched in decades, imagine how many there must be in the entire UK that could have some old boxes hidden away. :shock:

I've told this story to death before, so sorry if you've heard it before, but it is relevant to your point subzero, and it proves that they were out there in lockups in the mid 90's, I saw my sister and her friend's kid one day in the mid 90's playing with vintage jabbers goons :? and weapons i questioned how he had the weapons with them , my sister said they just bought 4 carded figs down the market off a lady selling greeting cards and the kid opened them straight away and played with them, they threw the cards in the bin :o :o i said where and shot straight down there as my sister said there were some more left in the box (expensive too at 40p each) , cut a long story short i picked up the below and the lady said there were more in her lockup from years ago when they sold a few toys at the market, said she would try to bring them next week never saw them again and should of chased the lead up , but was young then and not that bothered, more bothered about girls and vw,s :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

Taffius
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Taffius » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:37 am

apack7229 wrote:I had to pay about $1 each. They’re plastic and about 3-4 feet. I’m planing on trying to get more. The shopping cart idea does sound good.

Used the shopping cart to tow finds behind you home! Homage to TRU - thats a different focus. :lol:

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:50 am

bosk70 wrote:
subzero wrote:

I've told this story to death before, so sorry if you've heard it before, but it is relevant to your point subzero, and it proves that they were out there in lockups in the mid 90's, I saw my sister and her friend's kid one day in the mid 90's playing with vintage jabbers goons :? and weapons i questioned how he had the weapons with them , my sister said they just bought 4 carded figs down the market off a lady selling greeting cards and the kid opened them straight away and played with them, they threw the cards in the bin :o :o i said where and shot straight down there as my sister said there were some more left in the box (expensive too at 40p each) , cut a long story short i picked up the below and the lady said there were more in her lockup from years ago when they sold a few toys at the market, said she would try to bring them next week never saw them again and should of chased the lead up , but was young then and not that bothered, more bothered about girls and vw,s :lol: :lol: :lol:

No I haven't heard that one mate thanks for telling me, that's amazing it just shows there could be all kinds of sealed boxed stuff and MOC's still out there. 40p each too?? :shock:

And the fact that they were being sold by someone who sells greeting cards shows these now rare toys were once stored away with other 'cheap tat', just common shop items easily forgotten about.
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

apack7229
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby apack7229 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Taffius wrote:
apack7229 wrote:I had to pay about $1 each. They’re plastic and about 3-4 feet. I’m planing on trying to get more. The shopping cart idea does sound good.

Used the shopping cart to tow finds behind you home! Homage to TRU - thats a different focus. :lol:

I sense a new focus coming on. :lol:

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:21 pm

bosk70 wrote:
subzero wrote:

Great story, bet there's loads still out there. Hope so!

apack7229
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby apack7229 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:00 pm

So I went back to my local store today and bought some more modern and I tried to buy more of the signs and apparently thry're not legal to sell anymore. :lol:

Taffius
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Taffius » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:21 pm

apack7229 wrote:So I went back to my local store today and bought some more modern and I tried to buy more of the signs and apparently thry're not legal to sell anymore. :lol:

Its only illegal for you. They must of worked out you had bought the shop stock and stands to start a new ATRU (Alternative Toys R Us or Apacks Toys R Us). :lol:

Stubbs
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Stubbs » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:58 pm

I remember in about 1986-1987 long after the shops stoped stocking the fig's. At Farnham market a guy in a transit van and pallets on the floor cutting open boxes and pouring mocs onto them shouting 3 for a pound. My mum also remembers this as we bought some.

Not relevant to toys r us I no but just thought it worth a mention after bosk post. They could be out there still.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”