DT Ben and Vader sell for over $100,000

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
:shock: Not surprising really, but still. :shock:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5585691/Two-ultra-rare-Star-Wars-figures-Darth-Vader-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-sell-100-000.html

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Wow, they need to put that Rocket Fett Toy Fair MOC back up for sale. Looks like there is appetite to spend $100,000 on plastic now.

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
It just takes 2 people with massive amounts of expendable income to do that. :/
Leanardo Decaprio used to be an avid collector. Not sure if he still collects now though.

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
TWOFOOT said:
It just takes 2 people with massive amounts of expendable income to do that. :/
Leanardo Decaprio used to be an avid collector. Not sure if he still collects now though.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to spend what you like on your collection, maybe when I get my promotion :lol:

Russ :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Some fantastic items 8) but a ****ing crazy price, I think only a few collectors have this kind of money to collect and buy them. I would be happy if I just got one that is not on card :D so is some star wars items only for the rich today ? :?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm the same Lars, would be happy with a loose one. Not only have you got to be rich, but mental as well. :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
theforceuk said:
I'm the same Lars, would be happy with a loose one. Not only have you got to be rich, but mental as well. :lol:

:lol: I must admit if I won a huge lot of money in the lottery then I would maybe have bought them :lol: but it should be so many money so I did not have not work again or else I would not buy them :lol:

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I know this stuff is really expensive but if you have the money and it makes you happy then why not. I don't think people are mental for buying something that makes them happy.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I am not sure who bought them as I have been focused on buying Palitoy which is a complete waste of time as there is nothing for sale. It's possible the same person bought them as if you want a Ben then you would also want a Vader I know I would.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Wreck-It Ralph said:
I know this stuff is really expensive but if you have the money and it makes you happy then why not. I don't think people are mental for buying something that makes them happy.

It's an unpalatable thought for some but what you have to realise is that, let's say £1000 has a different value for different people. For some, that's a months income. For others, that's a days fee. It's all relative to your own personal income. I think most people have a % of their income they are willing to spend on the things that make them happy. The same people spending £50k on a Star Wars collectible may be spending the same money on a watch, or a piece of art. That may be the same to them as me spending a couple of thousand a year on the hobby.

I think you would be extremely surprised by what some people spend on collectibles. A person dropping £50k on something who may have millions in he bank would be perceived as a big spender, although the amount is a small part of their personal wealth vs the guy clearing £1500 a month but spending £750 on Mocs and only just making ends meet. Who's the big spender? Who's the one being irresponsible.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I also think people seem to have difficulty in attaching value to Star Wars collectibles you often here people referring to them as pieces of plastic. Is a car just a piece of metal or a stamp a piece of paper what something is made of has very little to do with its value. If someone spends 35 million on a Bugatti Type 57 Atlantic or 2 million on a Action Comics Volume 1 are they mad? Why can't people spend big on Star Wars without being ridiculed?

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
That's very true. Fiona Bruce's complete disdane for the screen used tie fighter helmet on antiques roadshow really hammers that point home.

My issue with spending 100k on collectibles is that sort of money could be used for a much better cause. It's the same issue, allbeit on a different scale, to the Da Vinci painting that sold for $450M last year. If that money had been invested into a charity they could have made real differences to the world today.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I agree, that's one of many things wrong with spending $50k on any one item. Half the worlds wealth is owned by 1% of the worlds population...... :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom