Header image

Modern MOC 'investing'

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
TK-7785
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: Modern MOC 'investing'

Postby TK-7785 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:50 pm

I might start a monkey face focus.
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies...
ROTJ Store Display Items

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:54 pm

Spoons wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:As for putting together a full carded run, I hope you literally mean just the POTF2 figure line rather than the entire modern line :-D. The former is quite achievable, but the latter would be a truly enormous undertaking due to the sheer number of figures released!

Ha ha - definitely the former, with maybe the Shadows of the Empire figures too

Yes, I always liked the Shadows line, and also the 9 Expanded Universe figures. For some reason I've always had a soft spot for those (but not so much the later EU efforts). They're a neat subset and the packaging is great too, both carded and opened as the cards fold out into displays, as you probably already know! :-)

SOTE 01.jpg

EU 01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grinchy
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grinchy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:49 pm

I collect both modern and vintage, to be honest the power of the force stuff is not something I ever collected, I do have some loose figures but the bulky look doesn't do it for me.
The later waves especially the thirtieth anniversary line are much more appealing, better sculpts great packaging, and they have held there value mostly, I have carded and loose examples, my favourite part of that line is the McQuarrie concept figure line.
The episode 1 figures I remember buying the odd one, its before I got back into collecting they were nice I thought but that's it, I remember friends buying doubles of each card one to open one to keep, I wonder how many lofts are stuffed with ep1 merchandise that is now not worth that much, there are still figures that kept there value, but the line as a whole I think was overproduced.
IF I WOKE UP TOMMOROW WITH MY HEAD SEWN TO THE CARPET I WOULDN'T BE MORE SURPRISED THAN I AM NOW
YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES!

Ruby2511
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Ruby2511 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:58 pm

I got into collecting modern potf etc. Got fed up with it. Had a very reasonable collection. Sold the lot and bought a Vespa :D

Russ :D
Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Sounds like you got a good price for them Russ :shock:

Good call on the McQuarrie figs guys, would go for a set of those too

And Mini, think I’d be happy with the standard 100 or so POTF figs. Even Sansweet has stopped collecting everything. Crazy amount of stuff out there
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

Ruby2511
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Ruby2511 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:50 pm

spoons wrote:Sounds like you got a good price for them Russ :shock:

Good call on the McQuarrie figs guys, would go for a set of those too

And Mini, think I’d be happy with the standard 100 or so POTF figs. Even Sansweet has stopped collecting everything. Crazy amount of stuff out there

Didn't do to bad ta Spoons :D I did have quite a few ships that got snapped up as well as lots of figures. I prefer vintage :lol:
Russ

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Dannywhiteley » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:45 pm

I came out of modern collecting massively up due to selling a POFT2 Luke dagobah SS/LT for £180 after it had cost me £1. #winning.

Ruby2511
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Ruby2511 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:52 pm

Dannywhiteley wrote:I came out of modern collecting massively up due to selling a POFT2 Luke dagobah SS/LT for £180 after it had cost me £1. #winning.

Very nice :D

Russ
Russ

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Dannywhiteley » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:01 pm

It was purchased in error I believe by some one who was thinking it was the dagobah Luke that was rare when it was actually the original like with SS/LT.

The only modern I have left is the original nine on trilogo cards and a mail away Han stormtrooper and Ben ghost. Along with a 1995 header it makes a nice display that I really love due to the nostalgia of buying them bitd. Anything after 1995/96 wasn't for me however.

wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby wrighty » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 pm

I probably have about 50-80 modern POTF2 MOCs. I will probably give them to my son when he is older especially as bribes!! :lol:

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:09 pm

I bought some episode one figs when the film came out just for the thrill of buying figures again. I got sick of them and gave them to the charity shop a few years later. I’ve since bought some Force Awakens figures which I estimate will be going down the charity shop around 2021. Nothing beats vintage, nothing modern even comes close.

roundster
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby roundster » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:14 pm

I've got a massive box of POTF 2 in the loft that I picked up for about a quid each or less in many cases, can bring myself to sell them!

Still have a real soft spots for the POTF 2 variants like the THX cards, late issue US red cards and others

Recently got a THX lando for £6 to complete my run, a SOTE retooled darth on a Green card and a collection 1 SOTE Leia Boushh

Not sure why, but brought back so good collecting memories, thats what its all about really :)
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12256 - Feedback

Looking for ROTJ Luke Bespin and Anakin Offer ROTJ MOCs

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:45 am

I used to (actively) collect modern for a few years but never really saw it as an investment. Got some of it in shops and some on eBay. I bought them cos I liked them but then realised I can’t collect everything and preferred to concentrate on Vintage. Don’t have space to display it either, got several plastic boxes full of it. Have lots of Episode 1 and Saga 2006 and a smaller amount of POTF2 and 30th Anniversary and a few other odd figures I like. I knew when I bought them they’d never be worth more than I paid. I’d like a modern display one day with a few select figures from different lines but I’ll prob get rid of a lot of it.

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:34 am

Loved POTF2. Had loads and collected up to POTJ. Had some Ep1, but the sheer volume of figs being produced started to wear a bit thin, so gave up and sold up most of it. Sold most of my remaining stuff and gave the rest to my boys over the last few years.

I've got a handful of red Tri logos left and want to complete that run now. It was quite a special time in 1995, being able to buy SW figures again in regular shops, after what had seemed like an eternity. They hold quite a lot of nostalgia for me. Yes, some of the sculpts are awful, but for me, they have a real charm.
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Cazza wrote:I've got a handful of red Tri logos left and want to complete that run now. It was quite a special time in 1995, being able to buy SW figures again in regular shops, after what had seemed like an eternity. They hold quite a lot of nostalgia for me. Yes, some of the sculpts are awful, but for me, they have a real charm.

Exactly what I trying to say, doesn’t matter how bad the sculots were, these were the first star wars toys that I bought from a shop!

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”