Header image

Customs Charges

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
stormcab
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1553
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Customs Charges

Postby stormcab » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:38 am

subzero wrote:Iv'e just paid £20.50 for a MOC that cost me £77 because the seller decided at the last minute not to send it as a gift like they said they would, because and I quote "I found out it's illegal to send it as a gift"...... :| gotta watch out for that SWAT team smashing into your house because of your 'gift' package I suppose lol.

And to top it off when I examined the bubble I found a split in it which the seller told me they actually knew about but couldn't be arsed to describe in the listing. :( :( :(


What a bloody winner they were!

User avatar
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2757
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Customs Charges

Postby subzero » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:39 am

stormcab wrote:
subzero wrote:Iv'e just paid £20.50 for a MOC that cost me £77 because the seller decided at the last minute not to send it as a gift like they said they would, because and I quote "I found out it's illegal to send it as a gift"...... :| gotta watch out for that SWAT team smashing into your house because of your 'gift' package I suppose lol.

And to top it off when I examined the bubble I found a split in it which the seller told me they actually knew about but couldn't be arsed to describe in the listing. :( :( :(


What a bloody winner they were!


The other moron comment they told me in response to the bubble was "the listing did say the bubble was in used condition"...

Bit of a difference between the words 'used' and 'split' ( damaged ).
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 17663
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: My Island

Re: Customs Charges

Postby weasel » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:16 pm

subzero wrote:Iv'e just paid £20.50 for a MOC that cost me £77 because the seller decided at the last minute not to send it as a gift like they said they would, because and I quote "I found out it's illegal to send it as a gift"...... :| gotta watch out for that SWAT team smashing into your house because of your 'gift' package I suppose lol.



If the package was coming from the States then it is true that it's illegal to mark something as a gift when it isn't. Sellers do seem to be quite reluctant to do it as well. I don't quite know why, as you say the SWAT team is unlikely to raid their homes. I have heard of a lot of sellers over the years who refuse to do it, as is their right of course, we are asking someone to break the law. Even if it is a stupid trivial law it is still illegal.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

User avatar
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2757
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Customs Charges

Postby subzero » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:26 pm

weasel wrote:
subzero wrote:Iv'e just paid £20.50 for a MOC that cost me £77 because the seller decided at the last minute not to send it as a gift like they said they would, because and I quote "I found out it's illegal to send it as a gift"...... :| gotta watch out for that SWAT team smashing into your house because of your 'gift' package I suppose lol.



If the package was coming from the States then it is true that it's illegal to mark something as a gift when it isn't. Sellers do seem to be quite reluctant to do it as well. I don't quite know why, as you say the SWAT team is unlikely to raid their homes. I have heard of a lot of sellers over the years who refuse to do it, as is their right of course, we are asking someone to break the law. Even if it is a stupid trivial law it is still illegal.


Ah yeah I do understand that to be fair, i'm all with it being their right to choose to do it or not. It just slightly annoyed me when the seller said they will happily do it which was the only reason why I bought it from them, then they decided to do a u turn on it and not tell me and let me find out when I got the VAT demand weeks later. Apparently not a single person has ever been prosecuted or fined for sending something as a gift, but like you say it is their choice which is true.
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 17663
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: My Island

Re: Customs Charges

Postby weasel » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:15 pm

Yeah, understandable. Common courtesy dictates he could at least drop you mail to say he hadn't marked it as a gift.
Though given it has a cracked bubble, I assume you're sending it back, or looking for a partial refund. If it's the latter, I'd be looking for a little more than normal given he has cost you a few extra quid in customs charges.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

User avatar
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2757
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Customs Charges

Postby subzero » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:38 pm

weasel wrote:Yeah, understandable. Common courtesy dictates he could at least drop you mail to say he hadn't marked it as a gift.
Though given it has a cracked bubble, I assume you're sending it back, or looking for a partial refund. If it's the latter, I'd be looking for a little more than normal given he has cost you a few extra quid in customs charges.


Yeah I couldn't be arsed with the entire returning process since it was overseas and a fairly cheap MOC, if it was a lot more money or a UK seller then I would have, but this time I got a partial refund, I let the VAT cost slide on this one but he tried to haggle the refund amount down too much and no way was that happening. I don't think he realised just how much a split devalues a MOC, or maybe he did. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 17663
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: My Island

Re: Customs Charges

Postby weasel » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:24 pm

subzero wrote: I don't think he realised just how much a split devalues a MOC, or maybe he did. :lol:


Ohhh I bet he did!
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

User avatar
TWOFOOT
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 992
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: ipswich , suffolk
Contact:

Re: Customs Charges

Postby TWOFOOT » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:22 pm

I'm probably in the minority here then. Although I absolutely HATE customs charges, If its a valuable item I either ask them to ship it via DHL (they use there own planes ect and don't display the value on the outside so you rarely if ever get customs charges) or If they are using usps I ask them to put the full value on the outside. The reason for this is that you are only insured to the value of declared goods. So say it was a moc that was squashed then you would only get compensation upto the value declared. Make sense? Lol
This can only lead me down a dark path....... Again. Lol

User avatar
plantman
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 4660
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:44 pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Customs Charges

Postby plantman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:58 am

You could always get it shipped to one of the guys on here instead to forward on but can be a hassle adding address etc.
"These ARE the droids your looking for...now how much for the pair?"

pmsbull
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:16 am

Re: Customs Charges

Postby pmsbull » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Y'all need to check this out guys :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36617
FEEDBACK : most of my feedback is on Rebel Scum http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1110792/
FEEDBACK : there is also some here on SWFUK viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23247

User avatar
spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 7827
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:01 am
Contact:

Re: Customs Charges

Postby spoons » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:19 pm

pmsbull wrote:Y'all need to check this out guys :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36617


and you need to read the first page :lol:

spoons wrote:There’s a form to download and send off - a bit hit and miss but 90% success rate. What annoys me is the randomness of the charge.

You should have been charged 20% by their rules - they just make it up as they go along, and you can’t claim the parcelforce holding fees back

As you have only been charged around 5% I would leave it as you may get charged more, but for future reference here’s a good link

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19613
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

User avatar
tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2731
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Customs Charges

Postby tigerham » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:36 am

Hi all, I've been tracking a parcel coming from the US and now custom charges have been raised and then revised ones been raised when it's been valued at $22. How on earth is this possible? Any ideas as I have to wait until it gets to the depot to find out the details and the lady said all she knew is that they were raised because of the value of the item?

User avatar
tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2731
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Customs Charges

Postby tigerham » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:53 pm

Didn't realise it had changed as it's anything over the value of £15 will have charges. Hmm, $22 = £15.97. :roll: This was the last MOC I am purchasing for a while so will take it on the chin. I should have done a bit more research although strangely I have had several MOC's with a value of $25 and they went straight through. Go figure. :?


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests