Header image

General Grumbling

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
TrooperWill
Regular
Regular

General Grumbling

Postby TrooperWill » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:40 pm

so this might take off, or it might die faster than a speeder bought from a Jawa, but id love to hear your moans, groans, queries and observations about our hobby, grading, eBay, Idiots, repro stuff ect.

my main one that has been bugging me this week is:

Why on earth did Kenner decide to add that ridiculous top blaster to the AT-ST scout walker?!? its nearly always missing in played with collections, it ruins the profile of my otherwise favourite vehicle, its now cheaply reproduced because it was so easy to lose therefore eBay is suddenly full of them. Then, to top it off, it wasn't there in the movie!

There, my grown up crying about his favourite 35 year old toy is complete.
I prefer trading items to buying them, have a loose run, about half the ships/vehicles and all the mini-rigs, spent under £200 and have had a blast doing so. This hobby doesn't have to be about spending a mortgage deposit every month on one item

yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: General Grumbling

Postby yoda » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:49 pm

Mine was the flimsy door struts and hinge on the Falcon. My Falcon stayed almost intact except for the hinge and ramp struts. It's in pieces now held on only by a bit of brown dried out sellotape. I can't remember it ever in working order. So that seems to me I broke it early on in my many battles and adventures I had. Everything else on the Falcon is pretty much intact considering the battering it took.
I don't flush the toilet, I scare the shit out of it. ~Chuck Norris~
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind ~Jackie Joyner-Kersee~
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball~

TrooperWill
Regular
Regular

Postby TrooperWill » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:02 pm

Mine was the flimsy door struts and hinge on the Falcon. My Falcon stayed almost intact except for the hinge and ramp struts. It's in pieces now held on only by a bit of brown dried out sellotape. I can't remember it ever in working order. So that seems to me I broke it early on in my many battles and adventures I had. Everything else on the Falcon is pretty much intact considering the battering it took.

sounds well loved, like you had a lot of fun with it. my ramp is doing ok, but the pins that hold the quad cannon together are long gone, had to use toy pollois method using Lego as I'm very loath to glue anything. its almost like they didn't expect us to be playing and avidly collecting the toys nearly 40 years later. :wink:
I prefer trading items to buying them, have a loose run, about half the ships/vehicles and all the mini-rigs, spent under £200 and have had a blast doing so. This hobby doesn't have to be about spending a mortgage deposit every month on one item

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:00 pm

One of mine is a Star Destroyer shaped like a small box.... really?

Never had or seen one as a kid but as an adult I think it was a poor / lazy idea, surely it couldn't have hurt to make a fucking badass long ship almost the length of your average living room rug, other toy franchises made massive long ships like with aircraft carriers etc, so it clearly could have been done. Instead they produced a full size room with enough room to fit a few figures in along with the meditation chamber, and a roof at the height of a mansion ceiling in comparison to the figure's height, and looks nothing like a ship. The Death Star was understandable because of the shape, the toy worked and it looked great as a cross section play set, and most of the space station's shape is there.

But they should have done a long Star Destroyer with sections of the top that come away just like the Falcon to reveal a play set inside, it could have been amazing, along with cleverly placed handles to pick it up and move it, sure it wouldn't have been anywhere near to scale as the figures but imagine the fun!!
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:53 pm

Well firstly, I have to say that I love the vintage toys (like everyone here, I hope!). That said, there are soooo many things I wish they'd done better or differently. I'll limit myself to just one for now: The door hinges on the Palitoy Cantina... What pieces of crap! Shiny silver stickers which always came off the plastic door frame, making batwing doors fall off. And being stickers, if you tried to remove them from the doors to reattach the doors to the frame again, you tore the litho on the super-cheap cardboard doors! I adore Palitoy, but this design was shite! :-D

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:19 pm

subzero wrote:One of mine is a Star Destroyer shaped like a small box.... really?

Never had or seen one as a kid but as an adult I think it was a poor / lazy idea, surely it couldn't have hurt to make a fucking badass long ship almost the length of your average living room rug, other toy franchises made massive long ships like with aircraft carriers etc, so it clearly could have been done. Instead they produced a full size room with enough room to fit a few figures in along with the meditation chamber, and a roof at the height of a mansion ceiling in comparison to the figure's height, and looks nothing like a ship. The Death Star was understandable because of the shape, the toy worked and it looked great as a cross section play set, and most of the space station's shape is there.

But they should have done a long Star Destroyer with sections of the top that come away just like the Falcon to reveal a play set inside, it could have been amazing, along with cleverly placed handles to pick it up and move it, sure it wouldn't have been anywhere near to scale as the figures but imagine the fun!!

I won’t defend it cause it looks like a pile of crap but it is listed as a playset and not a ship, so I think Kenner we’re going for playability over aesthetics. Many people that owned it say that it had excellent playability.

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:29 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
subzero wrote:One of mine is a Star Destroyer shaped like a small box.... really?

I won’t defend it cause it looks like a pile of crap but it is listed as a playset and not a ship, so I think Kenner we’re going for playability over aesthetics. Many people that owned it say that it had excellent playability.

Well in fairness, I owned one as a child and yes, I enjoyed it because it was Star Wars, but I was also under no illusions that it in any way resembled what it claimed to be! The likeness was crap, but the playability was there... even though the sodding bulb in my meditation chamber never did work! :cry: :lol:

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:38 pm

Well if the meditation chamber had misty smoke creeping out of it I may have given it a thumbs up. :lol:

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:24 am

I think my only grumble was the cheap thin plastic hooks kenner / palitoy used in the tie fighters to attach the wings most of mine broke and are now fixed using the toy polloi method but its not perfect and one did break again on the tie interceptor, those wings are to heavy and long for such a thin hook. The x wing had a few issues too, with having to turn r2 around when the release button edge wore out, who knew all this as a kid we just had to suffer falling off tie wings and x wings that would not stay open after a 1000 odd "fix wings in attack formation" :lol:
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

Crumm
Regular
Regular

Postby Crumm » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:57 am

I don't really have many grumbles other than repro stuff.

That and some insane prices, prices which keep many genuine collectors who have been in the hobby a long time from owning certain pieces, finishing certain runs etc. I think that is a shame.

One observation I have:

No Moff Tarkin figure, I think he (or even Greedo) would have been a better first 12 figure than Death Squad Commander, I find it odd that they never gave "The Moff" a figure
"How much you wanna bet I could throw a football over them mountains!"

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:19 pm

General grumbling that’s what annoys me! :lol:
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Dr_Ball_MD
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Dr_Ball_MD » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:07 pm

I don't remember General Grumbling. Which squadron was he in charge of?
My loose vintage collection: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24345

Zuckuss fockuss: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34291

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:17 pm

I am forever grumbling about the lack of MOC Palitoy Logo'd stuff to buy, it doesn't get me anywhere but sometimes I feel the need to moan about it.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:36 pm

What a list of “first world” problems!
Aren’t we all very lucky?!?
:wink:

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:I am forever grumbling about the lack of MOC Palitoy Logo'd stuff to buy, it doesn't get me anywhere but sometimes I feel the need to moan about it.

I almost never see one show up anywhere, on here and not even ebay.

Rare as hens teeth!

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”