Header image

General Grumbling

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
User avatar
TrooperWill
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:13 am

Re: General Grumbling

Postby TrooperWill » Fri May 25, 2018 10:38 am

that seller needs negging, best thing is he cant follow through with his threat to neg you back.

shocking that this keeps happening.



grading, and the constant debate on it wears a bit thin after a while though. only really needs commenting on when someone takes the piss and asked 10x the price just because someone glued it into a plastic coffin.
I prefer trading items to buying them, have a loose run, about half the ships/vehicles and all the mini-rigs, spent under £200 and have had a blast doing so. This hobby doesn't have to be about spending a mortgage deposit every month on one item

User avatar
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin
Posts: 6448
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:43 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: General Grumbling

Postby edd_jedi » Fri May 25, 2018 11:20 am

lee gray wrote:There are some people who like grading and some who hate it. what i hate is everytime theres some sort of grading discussion, you will always get those people who cant resist calling someone a moron for having graded items and try to bellittle them, yet u never hear a pro grade person call a grade hater a moron so maybe the pro graders are better people lol. People should be able to collect how they like.


I agree that nobody deserves to be belittled or insulted. But I do genuinely believe grading is a bad thing. It artificially inflates prices, they have proven time and time again they are incompetent at authenticating anything (Toy Toni, baggiegate etc) and they are wildly inconsistent, I saw somebody post an AFA 80 Luke Farmboy trilogo on Facebook last week that looked like somebody had sat on the bubble. So they have no credibility, that is a fact. Not subjective like I prefer Han or Luke or Leia, it's a fact. So if you can't rely on the authentication or the given grade, people who chase graded stuff collect numbers printed on a sticker, nothing more.

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Re: General Grumbling

Postby Dannywhiteley » Sat May 26, 2018 11:52 pm

lee gray wrote:There are some people who like grading and some who hate it. what i hate is everytime theres some sort of grading discussion, you will always get those people who cant resist calling someone a moron for having graded items and try to bellittle them, yet u never hear a pro grade person call a grade hater a moron so maybe the pro graders are better people lol. People should be able to collect how they like.


That sounds to me a lot like left/right wing. Only substitute graded for right and non graders for the self righteous left. :lol:

User avatar
indianawars
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:20 am
Location: Surrey, England
Contact:

Re: General Grumbling

Postby indianawars » Sun May 27, 2018 8:59 am

*WARNING. THE FLOWING STATEMENT CONTAINS THEMES OF A GRUMBLING NATURE THAT SOME READERS MAY FIND DISTURBING.*

Rude and abrupt messages on eBay really piss me off :evil: Since when were common manners deemed unnecessary? I woke up this morning to a message that simply read, "I'll pay £15 for this." Seriously, that was it! No hi, no please, no nothing!

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2881
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: General Grumbling

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Sun May 27, 2018 1:32 pm

indianawars wrote:*WARNING. THE FLOWING STATEMENT CONTAINS THEMES OF A GRUMBLING NATURE THAT SOME READERS MAY FIND DISTURBING.*

Rude and abrupt messages on eBay really piss me off :evil: Since when were common manners deemed unnecessary? I woke up this morning to a message that simply read, "I'll pay £15 for this." Seriously, that was it! No hi, no please, no nothing!


Right there with you! More and more ebayers seem to think it's going to win them favour with me by being ignorant and rude. Newsflash: principle before pennies and even if your offer had been acceptable I will now ignore it.

Damien, you should message back asking how much they'll pay if you throw in "Etiquette 101" as well....

User avatar
Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: General Grumbling

Postby Snaketibe » Sun May 27, 2018 5:06 pm

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
indianawars wrote:*WARNING. THE FLOWING STATEMENT CONTAINS THEMES OF A GRUMBLING NATURE THAT SOME READERS MAY FIND DISTURBING.*

Rude and abrupt messages on eBay really piss me off :evil: Since when were common manners deemed unnecessary? I woke up this morning to a message that simply read, "I'll pay £15 for this." Seriously, that was it! No hi, no please, no nothing!


Right there with you! More and more ebayers seem to think it's going to win them favour with me by being ignorant and rude. Newsflash: principle before pennies and even if your offer had been acceptable I will now ignore it.

Damien, you should message back asking how much they'll pay if you throw in "Etiquette 101" as well....

I quite agree. These people are as rude as they are stupid. Did no-one ever teach them that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar? ;-)

User avatar
Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2049
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: General Grumbling

Postby Mini99 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:55 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
indianawars wrote:*WARNING. THE FLOWING STATEMENT CONTAINS THEMES OF A GRUMBLING NATURE THAT SOME READERS MAY FIND DISTURBING.*

Rude and abrupt messages on eBay really piss me off :evil: Since when were common manners deemed unnecessary? I woke up this morning to a message that simply read, "I'll pay £15 for this." Seriously, that was it! No hi, no please, no nothing!


Right there with you! More and more ebayers seem to think it's going to win them favour with me by being ignorant and rude. Newsflash: principle before pennies and even if your offer had been acceptable I will now ignore it.

Damien, you should message back asking how much they'll pay if you throw in "Etiquette 101" as well....

I quite agree. These people are as rude as they are stupid. Did no-one ever teach them that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar? ;-)

Do you not think that this is a reflection on the world we live in. :?
A generalisation I know but “It’s all about me” there is no thought for anyone but themselves.
That’s why I love this Forum, I have never met anyone on here with this mentality, this is a very special place.

User avatar
Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: General Grumbling

Postby Snaketibe » Mon May 28, 2018 11:53 am

Mini99 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:
ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
Right there with you! More and more ebayers seem to think it's going to win them favour with me by being ignorant and rude. Newsflash: principle before pennies and even if your offer had been acceptable I will now ignore it.

Damien, you should message back asking how much they'll pay if you throw in "Etiquette 101" as well....

I quite agree. These people are as rude as they are stupid. Did no-one ever teach them that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar? ;-)

Do you not think that this is a reflection on the world we live in. :?
A generalisation I know but “It’s all about me” there is no thought for anyone but themselves.
That’s why I love this Forum, I have never met anyone on here with this mentality, this is a very special place.

I'm sure there have always been plenty of rude, stupid and selfish people in the world (along with plenty of decent, kind, polite and intelligent ones), however the big difference these days is the internet. It increases their visibility by giving a platform to everyone, good and bad, dim and bright, educated and ignorant, to voice whatever views they care to, and to also easily communicate with people they would never otherwise have had any contact with.

However, I also definitely think Governments / politicians could and should be doing far more to set a better example of how to behave, as bad, corrupt, selfish, childish and unjust behaviour can't help but filter down through society, and not everyone has the skill or wit to rise above it and see the wood for the trees when it comes to knowing what is and isn't generally acceptable.

User avatar
lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 4685
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:34 am
Contact:

Re: General Grumbling

Postby lejackal » Mon May 28, 2018 7:14 pm

People that ask for extra photos and don’t bother saying thank you when you provide them are on the lengthy list of things that get on my tits
"U grade for sale"
Translation: If it was legal my grandmother would be living on dialysis so that I could harvest and sell her kidneys.

Image

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: General Grumbling

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:42 pm

I hate all the private sales as it makes it impossible to determine whether you have over payed or not. There are virtually no recorded sales for rare Palitoy MOC.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: General Grumbling

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:38 pm

I find the anti grading brigade quite comical as many of them buy graded pieces and crack them open afterwards thereby supporting the very industry they allegedly hate. Then you have another group who are anti grading right up to the point where they want to sell and all those anti grading posts are forgotten and it's off to UKG.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

User avatar
TrooperWill
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:13 am

Re: General Grumbling

Postby TrooperWill » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:32 am

by lejackal » Mon May 28, 2018 7:14 pm

People that ask for extra photos and don’t bother saying thank you when you provide them are on the lengthy list of things that get on my tits


you sound like me, a list that grows longer with every passing day :wink:

I find the anti grading brigade quite comical as many of them buy graded pieces and crack them open afterwards thereby supporting the very industry they allegedly hate. Then you have another group who are anti grading right up to the point where they want to sell and all those anti grading posts are forgotten and it's off to UKG.


i think grading is here to stay. i must admit i dont see the point myself, and should point out that Edd made some very relevant points up above, so as you say, at least it provides entertainment.
I prefer trading items to buying them, have a loose run, about half the ships/vehicles and all the mini-rigs, spent under £200 and have had a blast doing so. This hobby doesn't have to be about spending a mortgage deposit every month on one item

User avatar
Mr-shifter
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2908
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:01 pm
Location: Sussex by the Sea

Re: General Grumbling

Postby Mr-shifter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:25 am

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:I find the anti grading brigade quite comical as many of them buy graded pieces and crack them open afterwards thereby supporting the very industry they allegedly hate. Then you have another group who are anti grading right up to the point where they want to sell and all those anti grading posts are forgotten and it's off to UKG.


The pro grading/anti grading arguments are as old as grading itself. Just as the anti grading brigade cracks them out, the pro grading brigade put them back in. Live and let live I guess.

BUT

There is still one company that u grades. Just bear that in mind when you are choosing who to get to grade an item. Let’s all be responsible, kids. ;)
WANTED: The following speederbikes. I would like them boxed but open and complete. I need:

Meccano stickered bike
Pbp stickered bilogo
Danish stickered bilogo
Special offer uk bilogo

User avatar
theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 4917
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: General Grumbling

Postby theforceuk » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:57 pm

The grading argument does annoy me as well mainly because it devides the collecting community and I feel collectors who don’t like grading judge collectors who do and put them in the same bracket that all grading collectors only collect the labels. This is true for a lot but not all.

The Toy Toni thing makes me laugh as well, origional parts all assembled together and the grading company’s should have known this before any of the collecting experts did. Your just sending your stuff to other human’s who make mistakes, not a supreme being. How they missed the v iron marks at the bottom of the bubble seal is a shocker.

It’s funny as well when a graded item gets damaged and that is automatically because it’s graded that it got damaged, items never ever got damaged before grading was invented? I buy ungraded, graded and I send stuff to be graded and in my experience items that aren’t graded are more prone to being damaged. How many items have been saved from damage because they are graded?, know-one knows because they don’t get damaged! :lol:

Grading has inflated prices, but that’s down to dealers as well insisting that an item with a high grade is worth 3 times what it was before grading and collectors pay it! Grading has certainly attracted new collectors with limited knowledge but unlimited resources which is a real shame for the hobby. Also if you use UKG or AFA to search for stuff on eBay you don’t have to sift through half as much crap stuff.

All that said the company that still u grades should obviously have stopped a long time ago although the damage has already been done it would Still be a positive step if they stopped. I see the grading company’s as an option that improves the way collections can be displayed and help collectors learn what they have. The grading is bollocks but you get a rough idea what condition the item your buying is in. It’s by no means the be all and end all of my collection and not all my MOC’s are graded and their is room for improvement especially with AFA, that’s an understatement! It’s just a shame how people exploit grading, but it’s human nature I guess.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

User avatar
Tony jedi
Regular
Regular
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: Swansea

Re: General Grumbling

Postby Tony jedi » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:18 pm

A few things actually. for a start repro crap. The same old excuse that a lot of sellers at boot fairs cons etc use"its old and its star wars" to justify the high prices. Graded items whats that about? Variants are a pain too not that i bother with them im happy with just ONE example of each figure and im done. but the logic of people that have 500 plus copies of the SAME figure is beyond me. i know its a case of each to their own but it goes back to pricing of things. Figure A is a lot more than figure B just because there is a paint difference or it was made in a different factory to the other one. The amount of beaters out there is staggering. I played with my figures when i was younger but i still looked after them, the state of some beaters i see at boot fairs and cons and on feebay is just mind boggling. its staggering as to how much focus and attention to the most trivial of details there are out there. And the amount of incomplete stuff thats out there....
"As you wish"


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: plantainman and 8 guests