Header image

General Grumbling

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
pmsbull
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: General Grumbling

Postby pmsbull » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:33 pm

Last carded Palitoy I even saw was in a mate's collection and beaten to all hell
FEEDBACK : most of my feedback is on Rebel Scum http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1110792/
FEEDBACK : there is also some here on SWFUK viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23247

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:19 pm

Stupid, greedy prices are currently boiling my piss. See the Facebook thread in off topic

indianawars
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby indianawars » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:22 pm

I cannot stand people that try to profit from postage costs... especially overseas.

Ruby2511
Regular
Regular

Postby Ruby2511 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:15 pm

indianawars wrote:I cannot stand people that try to profit from postage costs... especially overseas.

Well said :D

When I sell on Ebay, I always go with the postage estimator, I have had my pants pulled down a couple of times with postage, especially when I have bought more than one item from the seller, asked for combined postage and they ended up charging me for two lots of postage when they could have popped them in the same envelope :roll:

Russ :D
Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:11 am

Ruby2511 wrote:
indianawars wrote:I cannot stand people that try to profit from postage costs... especially overseas.

Well said :D

When I sell on Ebay, I always go with the postage estimator, I have had my pants pulled down a couple of times with postage, especially when I have bought more than one item from the seller, asked for combined postage and they ended up charging me for two lots of postage when they could have popped them in the same envelope :roll:

Russ :D

That's usually when I request to cancel the sale and it gives the seller a boot up the arse :lol:

I know it's right that if something is not mentioned in the description then not to expect it, but when it comes to postage if I order 5 different items each with say £2 postage and the seller is sticking to demanding £10 when it really still costs £2 to send them all, then postage should be combined out of courtesy anyway.
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

TrooperWill
New User
New User

Postby TrooperWill » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:08 am

That's usually when I request to cancel the sale and it gives the seller a boot up the arse :lol:

I know it's right that if something is not mentioned in the description then not to expect it, but when it comes to postage if I order 5 different items each with say £2 postage and the seller is sticking to demanding £10 when it really still costs £2 to send them all, then postage should be combined out of courtesy anyway

Had that not long ago, found an eBay multi listing with loads of army builders fairly cheap, Stormys, Hoth Troopers and Jabbas goons for a couple of display dioramas I was planning, figures were anywhere from 2.50- 4.00 pounds each, but the postage was 3.50 per figure, so after ten or fifteen figures the postage costs were higher than the costs of the figures. the seller clearly stated he did NOT combine postage so he cost himself a fairly decent sale.

Only want some goons to bulk out the sail skiff and Jabbas palace, but I'm buggered if I'm going to pay 45 quid for him to chuck them in a large jiffy bag!
I prefer trading items to buying them, have a loose run, about half the ships/vehicles and all the mini-rigs, spent under £200 and have had a blast doing so. This hobby doesn't have to be about spending a mortgage deposit every month on one item

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:16 am

TrooperWill wrote:

I know it's right that if something is not mentioned in the description then not to expect it, but when it comes to postage if I order 5 different items each with say £2 postage and the seller is sticking to demanding £10 when it really still costs £2 to send them all, then postage should be combined out of courtesy anyway

Had that not long ago, found an eBay multi listing with loads of army builders fairly cheap, Stormys, Hoth Troopers and Jabbas goons for a couple of display dioramas I was planning, figures were anywhere from 2.50- 4.00 pounds each, but the postage was 3.50 per figure, so after ten or fifteen figures the postage costs were higher than the costs of the figures. the seller clearly stated he did NOT combine postage so he cost himself a fairly decent sale.

Only want some goons to bulk out the sail skiff and Jabbas palace, but I'm buggered if I'm going to pay 45 quid for him to chuck them in a large jiffy bag!

It's ridiculous, the seller is still going to get the same amount of money if he sells them individually to multiple buyers with postage, or if he sells them as a single lot with discounted postage. So he really has done himself in by trying to be greedy.
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

TrooperWill
New User
New User

Postby TrooperWill » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:32 am

It's ridiculous, the seller is still going to get the same amount of money if he sells them individually to multiple buyers with postage, or if he sells them as a single lot with discounted postage. So he really has done himself in by trying to be greedy.

I know right, its the same as what Ed commented up above, its greed driving these ridiculous prices on Facebook and eBay along with Daily Mail articles telling everyone that if the sell their old collection they will never have to work again. They really don't like it when the bubble bursts and they realise that a naked, weaponless Darth Vader is not going to buy them their dream car. :x

Stupid, greedy prices are currently boiling my piss. See the Facebook thread in off topic
I prefer trading items to buying them, have a loose run, about half the ships/vehicles and all the mini-rigs, spent under £200 and have had a blast doing so. This hobby doesn't have to be about spending a mortgage deposit every month on one item

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby weasel » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:04 pm

Or you could pay it and then claim it back off ebay when it arrives in a jiffy bag with £2.50 stamped on it. They don't tend to like people taking the piss with postage
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

TrooperWill
New User
New User

Postby TrooperWill » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:10 pm

Or you could pay it and then claim it back off ebay when it arrives in a jiffy bag with £2.50 stamped on it. They don't tend to like people taking the piss with postage

must admit I didn't know that was an option, id love to have stuck it to the greedy bastard!

TrooperWill
New User
New User

Postby TrooperWill » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:17 pm

Also, What the hell is up with the cloud car toy? considering that we missed out on some great toys that were prototypes or just never made, how did the cloud car make it to release, it literally does nothing, in toy form or in the film. Must admit I would have been really disappointed if I had been given it as an xmas gift and opened it to find its main selling feature is that it has opening cockpits!

(I have long suspected that in the planning stage of the film, the cloud car was planned to do a bit more, such as shoot down some tie fighters during Lando's rebellion and evacuation. toys are normally planned from these pre production plans, so the toys are ready to ship at the films release, hence Lego releasing toys that don't appear in the finished cut.) I'm sure someone on here will know a great deal more about it and can confirm or deny.

jayums
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby jayums » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:29 pm

Re postage costs / eBay ... to play devil’s advocate for a sellers point of view , i don’t always quite know the cost of postage until I get to the post office and they decide whether it goes through the slot thing-y (very often depending on what mood they are in / how hard they try) so I charge 4 quid per figure (first class signed is 4.44) so after eBay takes their cut, I gain on a few where they squeeze through as a large stamp, and lose out a bit on the fatties. Also always combine postage.

Would have been happy to refund the diff to anybody was thaaat miffed on a recent sale of mine, but have got snarky feedback from one buyer as I overcharged them. So all I would say is, just contact sellers to iron out issues before going for the feedback button, because they might actually agree with you and refund (That’s my grumble!!)

That said, when buying, I guess I just factor in cost of postage to the total of whatever I bid for the item, so it has never bothered me too much so long as it arrives well packed and via type of postage stated.

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:42 pm

TrooperWill wrote:Also, What the hell is up with the cloud car toy? considering that we missed out on some great toys that were prototypes or just never made, how did the cloud car make it to release, it literally does nothing, in toy form or in the film. Must admit I would have been really disappointed if I had been given it as an xmas gift and opened it to find its main selling feature is that it has opening cockpits!

(I have long suspected that in the planning stage of the film, the cloud car was planned to do a bit more, such as shoot down some tie fighters during Lando's rebellion and evacuation. toys are normally planned from these pre production plans, so the toys are ready to ship at the films release, hence Lego releasing toys that don't appear in the finished cut.) I'm sure someone on here will know a great deal more about it and can confirm or deny.

I must admit, even as a child that excitedly bought a brand new Palitoy Twin-Pod Cloud Car from Ware Toy Shop in Hertfordshire circa 1980-1, and then rushed home to open it, when I discovered that it basically did bugger all and didn't come with any figures either, I was pretty disappointed! And add to that the fact that the box art showed a Bespin Security Guard and Luke Bespin sitting in the cockpits as the thing sat on a bed of snow, and my childhood sensibilities were deeply offended by the wild inaccuracy as well! :-D

It may not have been the easiest toy to love as a child, and it won't be many people's favourite toy today, and yet these days I'd never be without one in my collection!

itfciain
Approved Trader
Approved Trader

Postby itfciain » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Mini99 wrote:What a list of “first world” problems!
Aren’t we all very lucky?!?
:wink:

:lol:
"I'll probably be broke and homeless but I'll have a hell of a collection!"

For all your display requirements - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26287

And for vintage goodness - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/iainitfc/_i.html?_sop=3&rt=nc

yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby yoda » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:14 pm

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:I am forever grumbling about the lack of MOC Palitoy Logo'd stuff to buy, it doesn't get me anywhere but sometimes I feel the need to moan about it.

I remember your posts about trying to complete your collection. Out of curiosity did you stop and sell up? Or are you still holding out? From what I remember you were going well. If you still have them it must be a great collection. I mean of all that you did manage to get in time you were at it.
I don't flush the toilet, I scare the shit out of it. ~Chuck Norris~
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind ~Jackie Joyner-Kersee~
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball~

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”