Header image

General Grumbling

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: General Grumbling

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:18 pm

Being critised for using a dealer to buy or sell stuff, surely collectors should be free to buy and sell as they wish.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Forgetting about an item on eBay that you really wanted and it sells for less than you were willingly to pay for it. Has just happened to me, really annoyed with myself. Missed it by 15 minutes! :roll: :(
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Clarkspie&chips » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:03 pm

theforceuk wrote:Forgetting about an item on eBay that you really wanted and it sells for less than you were willingly to pay for it. Has just happened to me, really annoyed with myself. Missed it by 15 minutes! :roll: :(

Use and auction sniping tool then you’ll never miss out again. :)

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Yeah thanks I really should sort something out. :lol:
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:55 pm

I’ve never used these, and have a few questions, van anyone help.
Do they really work?
How much do they cost to subscribe to or use?
What happens if another bidder is also using a sniping tool?
Thanks.

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Clarkspie&chips » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:52 pm

I've used auction sniper for many years and its never let me down. They charge 1.5% of the winning bid up to a maximum of $15 but I think there are free ones out there.
All it does is place your maximum bid at a time chosen by you (I go for 3 seconds before the end). So if someone else also drops their bid at 3 seconds either manually or another snipe, eBay will just take the maximum bid unless someone else bids again before its over.

Ruby2511
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Ruby2511 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:44 am

Ebay in general :x :x :x

Restricted my account for selling some caravan accessories last week, clearly put on the ad that it was cash on collection.

Fuming :twisted:
Russ :D

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:55 pm

Clarkspie&chips wrote:I've used auction sniper for many years and its never let me down. They charge 1.5% of the winning bid up to a maximum of $15 but I think there are free ones out there.
All it does is place your maximum bid at a time chosen by you (I go for 3 seconds before the end). So if someone else also drops their bid at 3 seconds either manually or another snipe, eBay will just take the maximum bid unless someone else bids again before its over.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts.

Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Lindo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:07 am

Cunts that make you an offer then when you say no say your going to loose a sale for £5 are you stupid , actually thick cunt it adds up to more than £5 what fucking school did you go to, I'd rather set the fucker on fire than sell it to you for more than I'm asking cause your a cunt, and breath :P
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

jedisearcher
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby jedisearcher » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:21 pm

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:Being critised for using a dealer to buy or sell stuff, surely collectors should be free to buy and sell as they wish.

Most collectors would prefer to not waste the %age commission you loose on both ends for themselves I’d imagine, plus the fun side of hunting down items, making friends along the way. Maybe that’s just me tho.
WTB thread - most Palitoy 30b's and 3 debut 45a's: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17224

Memories from a 1980s Toy Shop: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24289

maxf
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby maxf » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:53 am

Putting F&F or plus 4% in a sales advert. Just add the cost of the sale on to your price - as a seller there are costs and processing payment is one of them... that’s not a buyers cost. I’ve even seen this on $50k plus prototypes!

I might have done this in the past, as the whole world does - but more recently I’ve been taking a stand. It makes fuck all difference to me.
Looking for Palitoy mailers and MOCs...

Detailed WTB list here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32243

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:30 pm

theforceuk wrote:The Toy Toni thing makes me laugh as well, origional parts all assembled together and the grading company’s should have known this before any of the collecting experts did. Your just sending your stuff to other human’s who make mistakes, not a supreme being. How they missed the v iron marks at the bottom of the bubble seal is a shocker.

To be fair, every one who ever owned, bought or sold a TT between late 80's and about 2010 missed the obvious iron marks, perfectly centred bubbles and other inconsistencies over the years. In fact, I believe the whole saga only finally came to light because of previous research uncovering lists of purchased unused cardbacks from many years earlier matched known lists of TT figures that meant 2 + 2 could finally be put together to make 4. Grading companies were using what everyone believed to be genuine examples to authenticate further TT's.

If at the time no one knew any differently, those flaws were just considered idiosyncrasies of those particular Palitoy/clipper etc cards. If anything they would be distinguishing features to help verify others were "genuine".

Btw, I hate grading personally but don't think they can be blamed for not seeing that one coming.

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Sellers not offering to combine postage, particularly on small, low value items.

I was recently trying to buy around 15 PSP games, non of which had cases and all of which were around 80p to £1.20 from one seller. Now I probably should take some of the blame on this as I didn't ask prior to placing bids but no one in their right mind would buy items of that value and expect to pay for individual postage surely - his response was that, and I quote, "I do not do multi packages as I do not have the time or patience."

Put all items in one jiffy or ideally box and send together as opposed to 15 individual envelopes you f****** moron!!!

Happy Monday people :D
"U grade for sale"
Translation: If it was legal my grandmother would be living on dialysis so that I could harvest and sell her kidneys.

starshipriot
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby starshipriot » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:13 am

lejackal wrote:Sellers not offering to combine postage, particularly on small, low value items.

I was recently trying to buy around 15 PSP games, non of which had cases and all of which were around 80p to £1.20 from one seller. Now I probably should take some of the blame on this as I didn't ask prior to placing bids but no one in their right mind would buy items of that value and expect to pay for individual postage surely - his response was that, and I quote, "I do not do multi packages as I do not have the time or patience."

Put all items in one jiffy or ideally box and send together as opposed to 15 individual envelopes you f****** moron!!!

Happy Monday people :D

I had someone on eBay tell me they wouldn't combine postage as they didn't have any envelopes or boxes big enough to put more than one thing in. It was for some 5" Halo figures. I told them I had been interested in about eight of their figures but there was no way in hell I would spend £40 on postage (as each figure was £5 postage) when I could pay £12 for parcelforce. They just reiterated that they wouldn't combine postage, end of.
Nobheads.

AllThings80s
New User
New User

Postby AllThings80s » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:59 pm

When you sit there and work out the postage cost, and then receive a response saying, "what's that in dollars."

giphy-1.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”