Header image

My last MOC purchase in a while...

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
User avatar
tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2731
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:25 am

Re: My last MOC purchase in a while...

Postby tigerham » Wed May 02, 2018 12:51 pm

edd_jedi wrote:Good effort so far. Obviously try this at your own risk but I have had good success using steam to flatten cards. Hold it above a boiling kettle for a few seconds until it goes slightly floppy, and then immediately put it under some weight until it dries. I have significantly flattened 3 MOCs using this technique.


Thank you for this confidence Edd. Has it affected the bubble or glue on bubble at all? Any lifting in the slightest?

Yes, Richard I thought it would look fine in the GW case but it would still have a bend.

User avatar
Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2172
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: My last MOC purchase in a while...

Postby Mini99 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:44 pm

Good luck with this, I normally use books, but as Andy has said, this can be a bit precarious!
The problem that I have is lack of patience, after a day or two I want to see how it’s going and then being disappointed by the lack of result!

edd_jedi wrote:
Good effort so far. Obviously try this at your own risk but I have had good success using steam to flatten cards. Hold it above a boiling kettle for a few seconds until it goes slightly floppy, and then immediately put it under some weight until it dries. I have significantly flattened 3 MOCs using this technique.


You must have nerves of steel to do this Edd!
I would worry the bubble would fall off half way through the steam bath. :shock:

Cazza wrote:
Really good idea! I always use towers of books, which work, but are awkward and pretty precarious. Gotta love a PD on ESB card. The colours work really well. Same with the DSD.


Have to agree, those two cards are so vibrant, the purple really makes the card “pop”!

User avatar
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin
Posts: 6530
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:43 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: My last MOC purchase in a while...

Postby edd_jedi » Wed May 02, 2018 2:29 pm

tigerham wrote:Thank you for this confidence Edd. Has it affected the bubble or glue on bubble at all? Any lifting in the slightest?


No I'm talking literally a few seconds under the steam, you would have to submerge it in water or something for the glue to start lifting. These things are hardier than most people think, just look at the massive rips on most used cardbacks! It's only Toy Toni's that fall off :lol:

User avatar
Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: My last MOC purchase in a while...

Postby Snaketibe » Wed May 02, 2018 2:44 pm

Best of luck with this, Ham. I completely agree that a few seconds of steam should be harmless enough, and should also allow for a better card straightening as a result.

A friend of mine had a nightmare accident where his boiler failed whilst he was on holiday. That boiler was in his display room and although there was an air vent in the room, it completely filled it with steam for an unknown length of time. As soon as he arrived back and discovered the problem, he switched off the boiler, vented the steam and then set about trying to minimise the damage by lying all his MOCs flat on some plaster board sheets to help dry them out. Most of his cards were from the modern line, but his collection also included some vintage MOCs. Almost miraculously, he got away with suffering minimal damage. Only one single modern bubble came away from its cardback. The rest survived OK.

As I say, it is not known how long the steam had been present in the room before he discovered it, but it was certainly an awful lot longer than just a few seconds, so I can't see any problems with using Edd's technique on your MOC.

Let us know how you get on :-)

User avatar
tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2731
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:25 am

Re: My last MOC purchase in a while...

Postby tigerham » Wed May 02, 2018 3:10 pm

edd_jedi wrote:
tigerham wrote:Thank you for this confidence Edd. Has it affected the bubble or glue on bubble at all? Any lifting in the slightest?


No I'm talking literally a few seconds under the steam, you would have to submerge it in water or something for the glue to start lifting. These things are hardier than most people think, just look at the massive rips on most used cardbacks! It's only Toy Toni's that fall off :lol:


Ok, so after I steam the card for a few seconds my next question is when I put the blocks back on top of the card will the litho print be ok? What about the moist card/print of the MOC sticking to the board/card laying on top?
Last edited by tigerham on Wed May 02, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2731
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:25 am

Re: My last MOC purchase in a while...

Postby tigerham » Wed May 02, 2018 3:13 pm

And sorry Edd but one last thing. Do you steam just the back of the MOC, front or both sides? I would have thought just the back.

User avatar
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin
Posts: 6530
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:43 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: My last MOC purchase in a while...

Postby edd_jedi » Wed May 02, 2018 3:38 pm

To be honest I'm a little hesitant to give advice as I don't want it to be my fault if it goes wrong. But I held the MOC by the bubble, put it over the boiling kettle turning it every second so both sides got steamed. After a few seconds there was a noticeable 'flop' when the card obviously took on some of the heat/moisture. It stayed like that for just a few seconds so I had to get it under the heavy books very quickly. Use something that is unlikely to affect the litho, like a glossy book or laminated paper. Again these cards are more hard wearing than most think, a bit of water won't damage them. Good luck!

User avatar
tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2731
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:25 am

Re: My last MOC purchase in a while...

Postby tigerham » Wed May 02, 2018 4:12 pm

edd_jedi wrote:To be honest I'm a little hesitant to give advice as I don't want it to be my fault if it goes wrong. But I held the MOC by the bubble, put it over the boiling kettle turning it every second so both sides got steamed. After a few seconds there was a noticeable 'flop' when the card obviously took on some of the heat/moisture. It stayed like that for just a few seconds so I had to get it under the heavy books very quickly. Use something that is unlikely to affect the litho, like a glossy book or laminated paper. Again these cards are more hard wearing than most think, a bit of water won't damage them. Good luck!


Edd don't worry my friend, you are not responsible... unless something goes wrong. :P

But seriously, thank you for the advice and I will try it out. How long did you leave it under the books for?

User avatar
spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 7871
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:01 am
Contact:

Re: My last MOC purchase in a while...

Postby spoons » Wed May 02, 2018 5:19 pm

Excellent work TIg, the PD looks fantastic - I look forward to seeing the results of the flattening/steaming!
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

User avatar
tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2731
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:25 am

Re: My last MOC purchase in a while...

Postby tigerham » Wed May 02, 2018 5:25 pm

spoons wrote:Excellent work TIg, the PD looks fantastic - I look forward to seeing the results of the flattening/steaming!


Thanks Spoons. I just did the steaming so now it's under weighted boards. I'll have a look later to see how it is.

User avatar
tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2731
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:25 am

Re: My last MOC purchase in a while...

Postby tigerham » Wed May 02, 2018 11:11 pm

edd_jedi wrote:To be honest I'm a little hesitant to give advice as I don't want it to be my fault if it goes wrong. But I held the MOC by the bubble, put it over the boiling kettle turning it every second so both sides got steamed. After a few seconds there was a noticeable 'flop' when the card obviously took on some of the heat/moisture. It stayed like that for just a few seconds so I had to get it under the heavy books very quickly. Use something that is unlikely to affect the litho, like a glossy book or laminated paper. Again these cards are more hard wearing than most think, a bit of water won't damage them. Good luck!


Edd... what have you done???

You are an absolute genius!!!

IMG_4840.JPG
IMG_4840.JPG (73.98 KiB) Viewed 77 times

IMG_4843.JPG
IMG_4843.JPG (56.81 KiB) Viewed 77 times

B and A.jpg
B and A.jpg (70.93 KiB) Viewed 75 times


Thank you so much. I tried it at first with a few seconds of steam. A slight difference. Then I increased it to maybe 10 seconds. Again better. So I just went for it and did around 20-25 seconds on both sides. You are right, these MOC's are solid! :)

Really over the moon with the outcome all round. Sticker paper/residue removed and now thanks to Edd a nice flat MOC. Happy days. :D

User avatar
Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2172
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: My last MOC purchase in a while...

Postby Mini99 » Thu May 03, 2018 8:12 am

Congratulations Ham, a job well done.
It looks like new again!

User avatar
tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2731
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:25 am

Re: My last MOC purchase in a while...

Postby tigerham » Thu May 03, 2018 8:26 am

Mini99 wrote:Congratulations Ham, a job well done.
It looks like new again!


Thank you Nick. Really chuffed with it. :)

User avatar
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin
Posts: 6530
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:43 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: My last MOC purchase in a while...

Postby edd_jedi » Thu May 03, 2018 8:27 am

Excellent! Glad to see such a good result. Yes maybe it was longer than a few seconds, I was terrified so time was probably going more quickly than I thought :lol: As you can see above the steam is the key ingredient, you then only need the weight on top for however many minutes it takes for the card to dry out. You certainly don't need to leave it for days/weeks like you do with just weight.

User avatar
tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2731
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:25 am

Re: My last MOC purchase in a while...

Postby tigerham » Thu May 03, 2018 8:30 am

edd_jedi wrote:Excellent! Glad to see such a good result. Yes maybe it was longer than a few seconds, I was terrified so time was probably going more quickly than I thought :lol: As you can see above the steam is the key ingredient, you then only need the weight on top for however many minutes it takes for the card to dry out. You certainly don't need to leave it for days/weeks like you do with just weight.


Absolutely, I knew I needed the moisture but I wasn't sure how I would do this and how it would affect the litho. Edd, I owe you as you've just saved me weeks, if not months of a waiting game. Thank you sincerely my friend. :)


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests