SWFUK Annual Statistics

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I was just looking through the forum's analytics statistics and thought I'd share a few numbers from the last 12 months for anybody interested. The fall of forums in favour of Facebook has been quite a hot topic for a few years now but not many people publish numbers.

Firstly traffic, as you can see over the last year there's been a slight fall in daily visitors, but not too much. The forum actually has more traffic now than it did when I first started collecting data in 2013, so it's nothing to worry about. We're currently looking at about 400 daily visits.

hits.png

Next up, devices. No doubt mobile phones have contributed to the popularity of Facebook, and as you can see here with almost half of users now accessing the forum via their phone you can see why some forums which are not mobile friendly have taken a hit. There are still a lot of desktop users though so it proves many people still prefer the big screen.

devices.png

And finally location. Although we are called "SWFUK" in fact only half of us are British. We have a large amount of American members, and a fairly global user base.

countries.png

If people are interested, I will try and remember to make a post like this annually :)

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks Edd, really interesting information you have posted.
Good to see SWFUK is holding it's own

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Very interesting, especially the mobile users. They must have gone up a bit since 2013?

Plastikheld

Jedi Knight
Interesting facts - did not expect that only half of the users are Brits.
But no wonder ... you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy :D

subzero

Sith Lord
I would have never guessed there was 900 Mexican members on here, don't think i'm even aware of more than 50 members that iv'e actually seen active over the past year.

Interesting numbers.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
subzero said:
I would have never guessed there was 900 Mexican members on here, don't think i'm even aware of more than 50 members that iv'e actually seen active over the past year.

Most people that browse the forum are actually not members but 'guests', just random people who find threads on Google etc but never sign up. Some forums require people to sign up to see the content to try and encourage membership, but then none of the threads would be in Google search results.

members.png

subzero

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
subzero said:

Most people that browse the forum are actually not members but 'guests', just random people who find threads on Google etc but never sign up. Some forums require people to sign up to see the content to try and encourage membership, but then none of the threads would be in Google search results.

members.png

Ahh interesting I didn't know that about the google searches, I suppose it's better for visitors to see what's in the threads anyway as that might encourage them to join after liking what they see.

I thought those numbers where all for registered members, so that makes sense now, thanks. :)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Here's the full 5 years of visitor data I have going back to June 2013. As you can see although numbers are slightly declining after peaking in 2016, it has been fairly steady and we get slightly more visitors today than we did back in 2013. Certainly not falling off a cliff, and Facebook Star Wars groups didn't really take off til about 2015 so the impact has been minimal (on here at least.)

I think the two big spikes are Toy Toni and Baggiegate!

5years.png

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Robstyley said:
I don't get it - what's the third table, the 87 thousand?? If there's only 4.5 thousand members? Is it total visits including guests and their location?

That's 87,000 individual users, not members. If you look at the 'users' screenshot I posted a couple of posts above, you will see only around 10% of active users at any one time are members, the majority are lurkers/guests who have not signed up.

subzero

Sith Lord
Seeing a mild rise there around / just after TFA releasing?, and it looks to happen again around TLJ but nowhere near as much, just a very slight rise.

Also considering facebook groups exploding in popularity this site has done very well to stay flat/steady in visitor numbers.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Some interesting stats Ed but you might find the American hits will drop from now on as I'm back in the UK :lol:

Ian

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Thanks for posting this, Edd. It's very interesting reading, and also quite comforting for those of us who prefer to use our desktops to access SWFUK! :-D

grinchy

Sith Lord
Very interesting, glad the forum is still doing well, another desktop user here, I can use my mobile to access the board but its better for my eyes on the bigger screen, that's what I get for being an old fart :D

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Thanks for posting, Edd. Interesting stats and great to see the forum is doing well 8) It seems the sales have picked up quite a lot recently.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Interesting stuff, Edd. As a non-Facebook user it's good to hear that the forum is still holding it's own.

Chris

Taffius

Sith Lord
Great reading and would like the suggestion of a annual review too.

Always unsure of the bots and what they are scavenging but without them you wouldnt get the stats I suppose.

What are the lurkers looking at? :lol:

Thanks for share. Great data set.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom