Recarding figures for display. Your thoughts...

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
So I really want a set of palatoy 12backs. I'm NEVER going to be able to afford it. Lol. So I'm considering buying a cardback kit so I can display them in all of their intended glory.
Now some people frown apon this and some people think it looks good. So I'm after your general thoughts on the subject.
Not about me recarding my figures as such, but your general thoughts about the subject. :)

lejackal

Grand Master
They will cost more than fake cardbacks but you could get reseals or cut bubble examples for a fraction of the MOC price

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Original cards with bubble sliced are another option, pop them in a toploader and they display really well, and it's vintage all the way. Still costly with 12 backs but nowhere near Moc prices.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
My God, there was a time on this forum when that would have triggered pages of negative comments and probably a ban from a MOD for the OP.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Sadly, having seen one up close, I can confirm that the print quality of the recarding kits really isn't very good. I suppose you can say that they're better than nothing if you want to display your figures on cards, but if you know what an original card should look like, I think you might find yourself always disappointed whenever you look at a recard.

I think the alternative suggestion of collecting a set of vintage cardbacks is a very good one. True, it's no longer a cheap enterprise, but it is still perfectly achievable within many (perhaps most?) collectors' budgets these days, unlike buying a full set of Palitoy 12 back MOCs which are now out of the financial reach of most collectors.

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
Grant_C said:
My God, there was a time on this forum when that would have triggered pages of negative comments and probably a ban from a MOD for the OP.

Pmsl. :lol: :lol: :lol: I was waiting for the abuse. Lol.

But on a serious note. If anyone knows of any split bubble or resealed palatoy 12backs. Then please let me know. :)

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
I had a few 12 backs (kennor) in my original collection I wished I'd of kept (bangs head against the wall). Who'd of thought how much they were going to go up in price. :(

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Not for me at all, but as long as all origional parts are used I think it's a good thing and a tipe of restoration. Which is a positive.

tigerham

Sith Lord
Personally, if MOC's like 12bk Palitoy's are out of budget reach then I don't see why not display them on the cardback kits. At the end of the day it's down to the individual and doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, surely, as one would be collecting for themselves and no other.

Not everyone can afford certain MOC's and although I would have to agree with Jeremy, that the cardback kit prints do not compare to the quality of the originals, they still would show what the designs would be like.

I have two custom cards that I made myself (with bubbles I purchsed online) as I have expereince with print and design so has helped to achieve a close enough match. One was of a cardback that never existed and the other was of one that I probably will never get round to owning for a couple of reasons, cost being one of them and rarity the other.

jayums

Jedi Master
They look nice, but in hand they don't feel right... and certainly not authentic.

If you put nice loose figures in them, you'll never be able to have those figs in hand again! Encased in repro!

Plus if you ever want to sell any of them you will have to rip them off the cards anyway as they are value killers - (potential buyers/bidders tend to assume any weapons /accessories are repro).

If anything, I think I might be more tempted to put a slight beat up set minus accessories in the cardbacks for a bit of display fun , alongside your mintier loose.

I understand why some people are dead against em... Personally I'm mehhh about them. Not for me though.

Taffius

Sith Lord
I like the GW acrylic cases where you display a cardback and then have figure separate at the front encased.

Best of both worlds then and protection for both. Easily removable and displayable together.

jayums

Jedi Master
Taffius said:
I like the GW acrylic cases where you display a cardback and then have figure separate at the front encased.

Best of both worlds then and protection for both. Easily removable and displayable together.

Not seen those before - great idea though

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
Taffius said:

Do you have a link to these cases? Cheers

Leemcl

Jedi Master
I've yet to see a repro Cardback that was a particularly close match to the real thing. Generally the print seems to be off, especially on the reverse.

An option might be to get a cut bubble Cardback and putting a new bubble on the card. I have done this with a couple of RoTJ figures I simply did not want to spend on. These being Madine and Yoda. I VERY CAREFULLY attached the new bubble on to the plastic left behind, so as not to affect the Cardback, the bubble though is not great - see example picture. My Yoda was better but I can't find it now ( I have too much of this stuff )

Pretty effective - but I would accept that it would / may take a long time to get cut bubble Palitoy first 12 !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 676

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter

tigerham

Sith Lord
Leemcl said:
I've yet to see a repro Cardback that was a particularly close match to the real thing. Generally the print seems to be off, especially on the reverse.

Personally, I think my ones are almost spot on in terms of quality but for sure as you say the print (as in the finish) will never be the same match unless printed using litho machines which is costly. This is one I did for my Palitoy R2 65bk. Correct fonts used and sizing matched. Have not punched it properly yet plus need to redo because of forgetting to put the blue footer in. :? Lol.

Palitoy R2 65bk.jpg

I used to work for a printers so could get a really good finish to the prints but not anymore. I've heard that the kits are printed onto the card where as I use quality sticker sheets. Sheen for the front and matt for the back as gloss for the front would be too shiny. Closest thing I could find using this method.

I'm not usually one for repro's to be honest but I always thought this one would make a good MOC if made. Each to their own I say. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom