Header image

1983 Return of the Jedi Luke Jedi Knight Outfit figure

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Bagy3
New User
New User

1983 Return of the Jedi Luke Jedi Knight Outfit figure

Postby Bagy3 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:23 pm

I'm thinking about purchasing a 1983 ROTJ Luke in Jedi Knight Outfit figure, but I don't know if that is a good decision, because of the figures condition. The card all by itself looks very good, with no dents or cracks. The only problem is the bubble - it's yellow, but everything about the figure seems great.

I don't know how much the condition and the overall value of this figure is lowered if the bubble is yellow.

Crumm
Regular
Regular

Re: 1983 Return of the Jedi Luke Jedi Knight Outfit figure

Postby Crumm » Fri May 18, 2018 10:10 am

Bagy3 wrote:I'm thinking about purchasing a 1983 ROTJ Luke in Jedi Knight Outfit figure, but I don't know if that is a good decision, because of the figures condition. The card all by itself looks very good, with no dents or cracks. The only problem is the bubble - it's yellow, but everything about the figure seems great.

I don't know how much the condition and the overall value of this figure is lowered if the bubble is yellow.

I am looking for exactly the same figure. I have seen quite a few with yellow bubbles, and deliberated for ages on them. But in the end I couldn't bring myself to buy one of them.

That's my hang-up though, and the main reason is that Luke Jedi and maybe Darth Vader are the only MOC's I think I will ever buy. So I am holding out for the best examples I can possibly get.

Luke Jedi MOC seems to be a bit of a problem. He tends to be either yellowed bubble (Standard RotJ card) or damaged/ dinged bubble (Tri-logo card). I have decided I would like a clear bubble Standard RotJ carded one, I know there are clear examples out there, it is just a question of waiting for one to come up.

If you really want it and don't mind the yellowing I would say go for it, but if you have any inkling that you may regret it later it may be wise to wait. I am steadily learning that patience, persistence and not letting your heart over-rule your head (at least not every time) are massive virtues in this hobby, and usually pay off in the end :D

Best of luck with whatever decision you make, please post pics when you get one!
Last edited by Crumm on Fri May 18, 2018 10:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
"How much you wanna bet I could throw a football over them mountains!"

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Fri May 18, 2018 10:10 am

Certain cards are prone to yellow bubbles and the rarity of the card will have an effect on desirability to collectors, I.e rare card with a yellow bubble that completes a collectors run will by the very fact it is rare and desirable not detract as much on price, but a plentiful card with a yellow bubble will ( should) definitely cost less than its counterpart with a clear bubble.
In general yellow bubbles do to a certain extent affect value, but it is down to what you are happy with for you and your collection.
For me personally a yellow bubble is fine, but I would expect to pay less than I would for the same card with a clear bubble. It's down to your personal preference, what you want it, are you a transient collector that needs to buy with investment in mind, or a die hard vintage fan that wants a piece for what it means to you personally and not what it means to the collectors market.

Good luck :D
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

poncho
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby poncho » Fri May 18, 2018 11:15 am

there was a find of potf mocs a few years back they were crystal clear now some have turned yellow.

this was due to exposure to light after so many years in storage

in you want a clear bubble i suggest you look for a trilogo or pali rotj with tri logo bubble

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Fri May 18, 2018 11:23 am

Get a trilogo one, nice clear bubbles :)

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Fri May 18, 2018 11:31 am

Yep trilogo without a doubt, you may possibly have to sacrifice having a perfect shaped bubble though in exchange for it being crystal clear, because almost all trilogo bubbles have at least some sort of denting/imperfections from over the years because the bubbles are weaker, but with patience you could get a perfect non-dented trilogo bubble, they do come up once in a while.
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Bagy3
New User
New User

Postby Bagy3 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Thank you for the help, here is the photo of the figure I was referring to.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:24 pm

I would say that one is about average, I’ve seen a lot worse!
How much is up for sale for?

Bagy3
New User
New User

Postby Bagy3 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:23 pm

It is currently selling for 225$, but if I'm going to purchase it, I need to count in the postage and everything to get it shipped to Slovenia (that is where I reside :D). I think that the total cost of it is going to be around 300€ :shock: , I don't know if that's too much for a figure in that condition though

Crumm
Regular
Regular

Postby Crumm » Sat May 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Personally I would wait. I think with a little patience you will find one in better condition for less money. and probably closer to home (IE: a seller in europe) which should reduce the cost of shipping too.
"How much you wanna bet I could throw a football over them mountains!"

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 am

I think with some patience you could find one for around £150-200 from a UK or European seller.

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:28 am

edd_jedi wrote:I think with some patience you could find one for around £150-200 from a UK or European seller.

^^^this^^^
the seller that photo is grabbed from is well known for being VERY high priced and then total on top the import fees and international shipping, you'll be looking at 2 times (or more) the actual cost in the UK with some patience.
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”