Watch out: A new eBay scam

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Well, this is new to me, and I'm more than a little bit well versed in cybercrime. Appreciate this should go in the eBay section but that only attracts a small minority of users of this forum and it's worth bringing to everyone's attention

I received two messages about listings this AM from user "hannamoor_23". I have copied and pasted the text below although have obfuscated the actual malicious web address to avoid accidental infection.

Luckily, I looked at the link before clicking it. From experience I know the website itself will be legitimate but has been compromised by a malicious party. The part of the webaddress after .com will direct whoever clicks on it to a malicious download, a virus, which will auto-download and then (no doubt) compromise your eBay username and login as well as all sorts of other usernames and passwords. Fun.

So, watch out for reports of your listings being ripped off. Don't ever click a link in a message or e-mail. If it's an alleged listing on ebay, search for it. If you'd like lessons on how to suck eggs I'll happily provide, although I hear Stu can suck one through a hosepipe.

I've reported the user to eBay but it will be one of a number of compromised accounts used to do this to people. If it happens to you just report to ebay. Best by phone using the "problem with buyer" category. Try getting through as a security issue and the estimated wait jumps from 1 min to 77 mins. The CS rep actually totally got what I was telling him first time and even said they'd been seeing a rise in this sort of thing so perhaps it's not new at all, but is to me.

ebay scam attempt obf.jpg

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Many thanks for the above advice.
I wasn't aware of this, so will be on the lookout for this type of thing in future.
Always open to "Being told how to suck eggs" :wink:
Again many thanks.

subzero

Sith Lord
****ing vermin, I love how they've got the cheek to put "I don't want to see people being stolen from"... then proceeds to attempt to rob you blind.

Thanks for letting us know about this, i'd never click on any link from a nobody but it's always good to keep people up to date online about this stuff, if it saves 1 person getting scammed then it's always worth it.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It's interesting to see a scam message that starts with "hi mate" instead of "biggest greetings from King Xulu of Nigeria!" which had made spotting scams fairly easy in the past.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
edd_jedi said:
It's interesting to see a scam message that starts with "hi mate" instead of "biggest greetings from King Xulu of Nigeria!" which had made spotting scams fairly easy in the past.

Oh ****! You mean King Xulu isn't legit? I'd best check my bank balance.

Thanks for the heads up, Simon.

Chris

subzero

Sith Lord
TK-7785 said:
edd_jedi said:

Oh ****! You mean King Xulu isn't legit? I'd best check my bank balance.

Thanks for the heads up, Simon.

Chris

Nah he's fine he is, I dealt with him last month he was real nice and def legit, he even gave me a genuine bank account number to send him money to as a fee to release a large cash windfall. Haven't heard back from him in a while though so I guess he's busy sorting my money out. :?

apack7229

Sith Lord
subzero said:
Nah he's fine he is, I dealt with him last month he was real nice and def legit, he even gave me a genuine bank account number to send him money to as a fee to release a large cash windfall. Haven't heard back from him in a while though so I guess he's busy sorting my money out. :?

Is that where you sent that £1 million? :? I thought you were getting a nice father for 20 years not a Nigerian prince. :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
apack7229 said:
subzero said:

Is that where you sent that £1 million? :? I thought you were getting a nice father for 20 years not a Nigerian prince. :lol:

Well you know what they say, once you go black... :lol:

jayums

Jedi Master
:roll: Thanks for the heads up!

I keep getting very dodgy looking targeted adverts on eBay. Mainly for erectile dysfunction... how do they know ?!?! I only ever search for vintage Star Wars :lol:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:

:lol: Absolutely!

The author of this is definitely a Brit. A lazy, poorly educated, lowlife shitbag of a Brit, but a Brit nonetheless. You know it's now a West African 419 e-mail because it's actually good and quite convincing whereas (believe it or not) 419 e-mails are actually meant so make anyone with half a brain suspicious.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I hate these cunts. I got done a week ago by some cocksmoker posing as B.T. They ****ed up my computer and it's now with an I.T bloke being wiped and having a new O.S installed. I've heard of the old eBay scam/hack before. Pricks!! :x

wrighty

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:

Hey what are you talking about, I know King Xulu!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

indianawars

Sith Lord
That's shocking! I can see how people could easily fall for this, especially people selling a few of their item at the time of receiving this. Thank's for the heads up on this Simon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom