Price sticker removal.....growing in popularity??

lejackal

Grand Master
As some of you know I love a nice price sticker on a MOC with a penchant for KayBee. I've trawled the bay, and elsewhere, for a couple of years hunting down price stickers but in the last 3-6 months, maybe a little longer, the number of them available seems to have dropped significantly

Has anyone else noticed this trend?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I have bought a few moc here in 2018 where I could see price stickers was removed :( I have a focus on danish price stickers, they are not that easy to find and I think it is fun for me to see what variants of boxes and cardbacks that was sold in my country, who sold them and what the prices was.

subzero

Sith Lord
Hopefully it's because they're actually more popular and collectors are buying them up and holding them in their collections.... hopefully!

I love price stickers, it adds character to the card and some history, and reminds me of seeing it on a shop display etc.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Actually I think the practice is decreasing, it's more likely there's just less for sale which is the same across the board.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
I like to see stickers on a card. However, it can put me off buying a card/MOC if the sticker covers the face of the photo.
Saying that, I'd never remove it and agree it adds history.

lejackal

Grand Master
Hopefully it is reducing then and it's just less MOC for sale overall meaning I see less

Robstyley

Sith Lord
lejackal said:
As some of you know I love a nice price sticker on a MOC with a penchant for KayBee. I've trawled the bay, and elsewhere, for a couple of years hunting down price stickers but in the last 3-6 months, maybe a little longer, the number of them available seems to have dropped significantly

I like a price stickered Moc and have several in my collection. Got two Kaybee ones. Got a couple for sale here if you want to have a look:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163072777734

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163072803438

lejackal

Grand Master
Caution shameless plug ahead :lol:
Robstyley said:
lejackal said:

I like a price stickered Moc and have several in my collection. Got two Kaybee ones. Got a couple for sale here if you want to have a look:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163072777734

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163072803438
I'd consider having a crack at one Andy if I weren't going away soon and hadn't spent this months meagre budget on the most fantastic collection of crap this forum has ever seen. :mrgreen:

apack7229

Sith Lord
I hope removing them is decreasing. I hate when people remove the stickers since that is what makes makes it for me. I like to see what the prices were. Here's a cardback that has at least 11 different price stickers on it which I think is pretty funny.

Attachments

• DFAF4C39-4009-4C60-AB03-D85CA9BA5F7F.jpeg
    DFAF4C39-4009-4C60-AB03-D85CA9BA5F7F.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 774

Taffius

Sith Lord
apack7229 said:
I hope removing them is decreasing. I hate when people remove the stickers since that is what makes makes it for me. I like to see what the prices were. Here's a cardback that has at least 11 different price stickers on it which I think is pretty funny.

Agree with apack and others on vintage. I think the stickers adds value to its historical context.
However in saying that I have found myself removing some stickers from modern. At Echo Live, some guy had his own sticker gun and went mad with it :lol: . Took those stickers off my Rogue One carded figures but have kept TRU, Matalan, other "store" stickers on to show how they got reduced. Hark back to the vintage sale stickers I think.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
apack7229 said:

11 price stickers :shock: :lol:

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Personally I don't like price stickers much but I have them on a few pieces in my collection as I could not get the pieces without them as they were part of collections I bought. I think when collectors decide to sell then their priorities change and maximising value becomes key and historical importance (price stickers) become irrelevant. So maybe the reason you are seeing less price stickers is that collectors are selling up and getting out the lighter fluid to maximise their return.

lejackal

Grand Master
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Personally I don't like price stickers much but I have them on a few pieces in my collection as I could not get the pieces without them as they were part of collections I bought. I think when collectors decide to sell then their priorities change and maximising value becomes key and historical importance (price stickers) become irrelevant. So maybe the reason you are seeing less price stickers is that collectors are selling up and getting out the lighter fluid to maximise their return.
The irony of that is that to get the stickers I want on a figure I'd happily pay a premium to get it.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
One of the collections I bought the collector actively tried to remove price stickers by soaking the stickers in lighter fluid, at least that was the method he explained to me. This was done before I bought the collection so I presume he did this to maximise the value of the collection.

Taffius

Sith Lord
Wreck-It Ralph said:

I suppose then its again preference related to reason. One persons maximum will be to have a figure with a particular store sticker and another would be no sticker - as lejackel stated.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Taffius said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:

I suppose then its again preference related to reason. One persons maximum will be to have a figure with a particular store sticker and another would be no sticker - as lejackel stated.

Unfortunately the whole thing comes down to maximising value, if an item is worth more without a price sticker then off it comes, very similar to U Grading I guess!

jayums

Jedi Master
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Unfortunately the whole thing comes down to maximising value, if an item is worth more without a price sticker then off it comes, very similar to U Grading I guess!

... Or buying the item because you actually get some pleasure out of having it?! :lol:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
jayums said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:

... Or buying the item because you actually get some pleasure out of having it?! :lol:
Well done jayums, finally a collectors answer from the heart!
Collecting is firstly meant to be fun and enjoyable

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
jayums said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:

Quite agree. Not everyone's in it for the money. And I don't see a simple price sticker in anyway devaluing a MOC. As Carl said, a big TRU Orange bastard across Leia's face is not great, but like Carl I'd pay a premium for a nice sticker on a Palitoy. And who knows, with the demise of TRU maybe somemof those will attract buyers more so.

Also agree with Edd. I see the practice of removal on the decrease and believe it's simply a decrease in supply of more attractive pieces.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom