Header image

Price sticker removal.....growing in popularity??

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Taffius
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Price sticker removal.....growing in popularity??

Postby Taffius » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:57 am

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:Personally I don't like price stickers much but I have them on a few pieces in my collection as I could not get the pieces without them as they were part of collections I bought. I think when collectors decide to sell then their priorities change and maximising value becomes key and historical importance (price stickers) become irrelevant. So maybe the reason you are seeing less price stickers is that collectors are selling up and getting out the lighter fluid to maximise their return.

I suppose then its again preference related to reason. One persons maximum will be to have a figure with a particular store sticker and another would be no sticker - as lejackel stated.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:01 pm

Taffius wrote:
Wreck-It Ralph wrote:Personally I don't like price stickers much but I have them on a few pieces in my collection as I could not get the pieces without them as they were part of collections I bought. I think when collectors decide to sell then their priorities change and maximising value becomes key and historical importance (price stickers) become irrelevant. So maybe the reason you are seeing less price stickers is that collectors are selling up and getting out the lighter fluid to maximise their return.

I suppose then its again preference related to reason. One persons maximum will be to have a figure with a particular store sticker and another would be no sticker - as lejackel stated.

Unfortunately the whole thing comes down to maximising value, if an item is worth more without a price sticker then off it comes, very similar to U Grading I guess!
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby jayums » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:Unfortunately the whole thing comes down to maximising value, if an item is worth more without a price sticker then off it comes, very similar to U Grading I guess!

... Or buying the item because you actually get some pleasure out of having it?! :lol:

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:27 pm

jayums wrote:
Wreck-It Ralph wrote:Unfortunately the whole thing comes down to maximising value, if an item is worth more without a price sticker then off it comes, very similar to U Grading I guess!

... Or buying the item because you actually get some pleasure out of having it?! :lol:

Well done jayums, finally a collectors answer from the heart!
Collecting is firstly meant to be fun and enjoyable

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:53 pm

jayums wrote:

Quite agree. Not everyone’s in it for the money. And I don’t see a simple price sticker in anyway devaluing a MOC. As Carl said, a big TRU Orange bastard across Leia’s face is not great, but like Carl I’d pay a premium for a nice sticker on a Palitoy. And who knows, with the demise of TRU maybe somemof those will attract buyers more so.

Also agree with Edd. I see the practice of removal on the decrease and believe it’s simply a decrease in supply of more attractive pieces.

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby jayums » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Yep I agree - some price stickers detract from cards, particularly if it gets in the way of the art work, but for me personally they don’t negatively affect value - a price sticker is a little bit of social history. Personally I look out for Tesco stickers as that’s where I got mine as a kid.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”