Reproduction Weapons

Bagy3

Youngling
What are your thoughts on reproduction weapons? If you were displaying a, let's say, loose Bespin Fatigues Luke on a circle stand, would you mind if the weapons were reproductions?

They are very similar to the original ones, but would it feel ''incomplete'' if you knew that they weren't the ''real deal''? :D :D

subzero

Sith Lord
Yeah it would def feel incomplete to me, i'd forever be looking at it just knowing it's fake and it would spoil the figure for me, can't beat original and completing a figure to how it originally was.

I'd rather spend hundreds on genuine weapons for my collection than be given a load of fake ones for free, and if I couldn't afford real weapons i'd leave them incomplete or sell my ass. :lol:

jayums

Jedi Master
I started collecting a few years ago and obsessed about everything being mint and complete, but for me the cost of doing this began to dampen my enthusiasm for the reason why I started collecting in the first place - I loved the figures as a kid.

Collecting some of the figures for the sake of it became an expensive chore rather than fun. Yes mint and complete is cool 8) but they cost a lot these days, with the exception of capes and a few sabers, most of them are pretty fiddly and annoying. Obviously the value is tied up in accessories since they are harder to get than the figures, but if you are collecting for fun rather than investment, you could have a lovely complete set of minty loose in a great cabinet at a fraction of the cost. It does seem rather perverse that a complete set of accessories is more 'valuable' than a set of minty figures without accessories - I know which i would rather have on display!

I do not touch repro stuff, but it is up to the individual what they buy for display purposes - the broader issues are that they are inevitably sold as genuine, the proceeds go towards making better repros, and they devalue genuine collections as buyers lose confidence as it gets harder to spot the difference. For these reasons I avoid repro.

poncho

Grand Master
each to their own.

display what you like

if how ever you come to sell on. please state as reproduction that is all i ask or destroy

i had a repro pop up saber for some time i eventually upgraded when a real one popped up for £25 some years back! i even squirmed at paying for that.
it took me ages to get all original weapons for my loose run

tbh the prices now is ridiculous

£100 for awing pilot blaster
£25 for a yak face weapon
£70 for a leia blaster
£40 for luke sabrer.....

etc etc

and £200 for a pop up saber is madness

lejackal

Grand Master
I have actually had my repros on display in my cabinet for over a year.
Most of it came with figures on eBay and was kept when the figures were returned but I did actually buy some of the new floating repros for comparison purposes (rest assured none of these get passed on)
EC826C08-CEE1-413D-BE48-D2AC75A1D5FC.jpeg

BBBA49C2-7BF7-4313-83DA-F57E6AF53C04.jpeg

77A268BD-0AFB-4C67-94F8-CE002D5D0CAF.jpeg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
For me it would feel incomplete, so I would not do it today.

When I started as a collector I did it with the DT sabers for luke, vader and ben I bought repro. Today I would not display them, I can wait until I maybe get lucky to get the real thing. I have even taken my custom vlix down from the display it just feels so wrong to have something that is not real :(

tobeshadow

Padawan
I found quite a few of the figs I bought in the 90s had repro weapons and it was really gutting and left me feeling cheated. Worse, it can make you think that your collection is pointless. Personally, I think anyone found to make or sell repros should be sent to an island and forced to re-braid vintage Princess Leia dolls in solitary confinement while listening to the crap 97 SE Jabba's Palace song on a constant loop! Like a twisted modern version of Papillon, but with no escape. Ultimately, everyone's collection should be what they want it to be, but not if that means destroying the original hobby!

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Anything repro devalues your collection to the extent you might as well stick a toothpick in Luke's arm than a repro DT sabre.

subzero

Sith Lord
Dannywhiteley said:
Anything repro devalues your collection to the extent you might as well stick a toothpick in Luke's arm than a repro DT sabre.

True, and a cut up cloth for Vader's cape that mom made. :lol:

Cornish_jedi

Padawan
Personally I understand repro weapons and accessories, and the desire for collectors to complete their figures on a budget. The supply, and now cost, for the orginals has clearly spurred the demand for reproduction items.

My real concern is when they are passed off as genuine orginal items and damage this has on the hobby, especially as these reproduction weapons are improving in quality all the time. I enjoy the hunt for pieces I don't have or really would like and if I can't find it or afford what's available then I have keep looking or saving.

If reproduction items were marketed responsibly with them clearly being identifiable as new items (completely different colour or marking) then I think would be great idea. This 'might' even curb the demand and price for orginal accessories. Unfortunately the caveat to this is we would probably be lining the pockets of the people also making items that look as genuine as possible.

I always have enjoyed discovering new bits and hunting for them, and want the whole community to be able to do this in same way without unnecessary trepidation.
Say No To Repro.... in my opinion

MTFBWU

wicky0570

Padawan
My collection is purely for my own display, I do not plan to sell it on, so I am not worried if the capes and weapons are a reproduction or not.

I have a very limited budget for my display and would rather have a complete figure on display with reproduction parts, rather than have no figure on display at all.

I do understand that it is when they are sold as original and con people. However I just could not afford to buy mint, complete, original figures so have on display what I can afford, and I am happy with my collection, even though it has some reproduction accessories.

wicky0570

Padawan
lejackal said:
. . . . I did actually buy some of the new floating repros . . . .

Could I ask what these figures are, please? I am interested as they may be some affordable alternatives for my son to collect?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I do not like repro weapons and I would not display them with repro weapons. I would always feel they are incomplete :(

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
Don't buy reproductions just leave the figure incomplete. When I collected in the early 90s I had about 4 weapons and was just happy to collect the figures as weapons where a lot harder to find without eBay and the internet.

I have a very limited budget for collecting but have managed to obtain an almost complete loose run with all original weapons and this has taken me almost 30 years on and off.

If you take your time you will find most items at good prices buying repro is just a lazy man's way of collecting in my opinion. Any one can go on eBay bang £50 on repro boom all weapons done.

I understand people have the right to do and collect whatever and however they want and that's ok with me but I will never accept reproduction in my collection. And I despise trying to find a complete figure and most eBay listings have repro weapons now or certainly a fair amount.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
wicky0570 said:
My collection is purely for my own display, I do not plan to sell it on, so I am not worried if the capes and weapons are a reproduction or not.

I have a very limited budget for my display and would rather have a complete figure on display with reproduction parts, rather than have no figure on display at all.

I do understand that it is when they are sold as original and con people. However I just could not afford to buy mint, complete, original figures so have on display what I can afford, and I am happy with my collection, even though it has some reproduction accessories.

SWFUK, I don't recognise you anymore....

I think you would enjoy a collection of figures with original weapons more, especially if you have not paid big prices for. After all, isn't that what it is to be a collector. Never pay big money for loose weapons, hunt and trade my friend. The thrill of the rid is finding a box of toys going cheap with a pop up saber rattling in the bottom. Isnt that why we ride this bus?

Good luck

BikerScout74

Padawan
I personally do not like to have repro items in my Vintage Star Wars collection, but have purchased the odd one that was sold with a figure I really wanted for a good price. So the 3 that I have identified as repros are on display merely as place holders until i find the real version for a decent price. And that is the crucial point. I could not justify paying more that £10 for a tiny piece of 30-40 year old plastic even if it is Star Wars. I find it incredible that anyone would pay that sort of money for a vintage weapon. So I can certainly understand and tolerate those in the collecting community who want to buy repro and display it in their collection for their own enjoyment. Especially for those who army build. In fact, if i ever do build up an army of beater figures, I might very well buy repro blasters to outfit them! So I say more power to those who want to purchase them, even though I would prefer not to have them in my collection at the moment. At the end of the day it is up to the individual how they want to collect and no one should be forced to collect in a specific way or made to feel an outcast in the community because they do so.
Nevertheless, I do recognise that there is a problem when unscrupulous sellers try to pawn off repros to unknowing newbie collectors, especially as they are getting harder to distinguish. It's a shame that the repro's can't be made with some distinguising mark or molding to identify them as such. that would go a long way to healing the divisions in our community and please the purists and more flexible collectors alike.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
In fact, if i ever do build up an army of beater figures, I might very well buy repro blasters to outfit them! So I say more power to those who want to purchase them

I'm sorry, I rarely disagree with collectors views on here as I believe each to their own, but...
Buying repo just perpetuates the problem, these people need to have their business staved to a point where there's no money in them making or selling repo.
Therefore you buying their product just keeps them in the business of churning this crap out, surely you're better off displaying your figures honestly on their own without repo weapons?

Grant, I feel your pain! 8)

BikerScout74

Padawan
A big part of the problem is people who sell the original weapons for prohibitively high prices and the people who are willing to buy them for these prices. It just opens up a bigger market for sellers of repro weapons as many people are priced out of the market and head towards repros to 'complete' their collection. At the end of the day, you are always going to have some people who will shell out stupid money for a tiny bit of 30 year old plastic and many people who will maintain a demand for a 6 month/1 year old bit of tiny plastic to finish off their figure.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
wicky0570 said:
lejackal said:
. . . . I did actually buy some of the new floating repros . . . .

Could I ask what these figures are, please? I am interested as they may be some affordable alternatives for my son to collect?
Please don't do this. If you're going to buy Repro for your son just pick up the old Repro that is grey, or painted and sinks like a lead balloon. If it ever gets sold on it won't fool anyone.

Don't buy the new floating Repro and line the pockets of these twats who have only done it to get rich quick and if you don't believe me read some of the threads below and you can learn about the cock and bull stories they invented to hoodwink the community. Remember when the Leia Blasters first flooded the market they were selling them as originals at £25 a piece.

And if you don't think they're in it to make money and they're doing it for the good of the community because we can't afford the real thing any longer you just have to look at that knob Darren Orme who's selling s**t replica boxes for up to £60 when they cost next to nothing to print.

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34654&hilit=Reproductions
http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33987&hilit=Reproductions

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom