Header image

Reproduction Weapons

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Bagy3
New User
New User

Reproduction Weapons

Postby Bagy3 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:56 am

What are your thoughts on reproduction weapons? If you were displaying a, let's say, loose Bespin Fatigues Luke on a circle stand, would you mind if the weapons were reproductions?

They are very similar to the original ones, but would it feel ''incomplete'' if you knew that they weren't the ''real deal''? :D :D

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby subzero » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:10 pm

Yeah it would def feel incomplete to me, i'd forever be looking at it just knowing it's fake and it would spoil the figure for me, can't beat original and completing a figure to how it originally was.

I'd rather spend hundreds on genuine weapons for my collection than be given a load of fake ones for free, and if I couldn't afford real weapons i'd leave them incomplete or sell my ass. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

jayums
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby jayums » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:46 pm

I started collecting a few years ago and obsessed about everything being mint and complete, but for me the cost of doing this began to dampen my enthusiasm for the reason why I started collecting in the first place - I loved the figures as a kid.

Collecting some of the figures for the sake of it became an expensive chore rather than fun. Yes mint and complete is cool 8) but they cost a lot these days, with the exception of capes and a few sabers, most of them are pretty fiddly and annoying. Obviously the value is tied up in accessories since they are harder to get than the figures, but if you are collecting for fun rather than investment, you could have a lovely complete set of minty loose in a great cabinet at a fraction of the cost. It does seem rather perverse that a complete set of accessories is more ‘valuable’ than a set of minty figures without accessories - I know which i would rather have on display!

I do not touch repro stuff, but it is up to the individual what they buy for display purposes - the broader issues are that they are inevitably sold as genuine, the proceeds go towards making better repros, and they devalue genuine collections as buyers lose confidence as it gets harder to spot the difference. For these reasons I avoid repro.
Last edited by jayums on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

poncho
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby poncho » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:33 pm

each to their own.

display what you like

if how ever you come to sell on. please state as reproduction that is all i ask or destroy

i had a repro pop up saber for some time i eventually upgraded when a real one popped up for £25 some years back! i even squirmed at paying for that.
it took me ages to get all original weapons for my loose run

tbh the prices now is ridiculous

£100 for awing pilot blaster
£25 for a yak face weapon
£70 for a leia blaster
£40 for luke sabrer.....

etc etc

and £200 for a pop up saber is madness

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:48 pm

poncho wrote:£25 for a yak face weapon

Or 13 quid with a free Nikto :lol: :lol:

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:56 pm

I have actually had my repros on display in my cabinet for over a year.
Most of it came with figures on eBay and was kept when the figures were returned but I did actually buy some of the new floating repros for comparison purposes (rest assured none of these get passed on)
EC826C08-CEE1-413D-BE48-D2AC75A1D5FC.jpeg

BBBA49C2-7BF7-4313-83DA-F57E6AF53C04.jpeg

77A268BD-0AFB-4C67-94F8-CE002D5D0CAF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:31 pm

For me it would feel incomplete, so I would not do it today.

When I started as a collector I did it with the DT sabers for luke, vader and ben I bought repro. Today I would not display them, I can wait until I maybe get lucky to get the real thing. I have even taken my custom vlix down from the display it just feels so wrong to have something that is not real :(

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”