Header image

Reproduction Weapons

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
User avatar
Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 8233
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:35 pm
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Grant_C » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:33 pm

wicky0570 wrote:My collection is purely for my own display, I do not plan to sell it on, so I am not worried if the capes and weapons are a reproduction or not.

I have a very limited budget for my display and would rather have a complete figure on display with reproduction parts, rather than have no figure on display at all.

I do understand that it is when they are sold as original and con people. However I just could not afford to buy mint, complete, original figures so have on display what I can afford, and I am happy with my collection, even though it has some reproduction accessories.


SWFUK, I don't recognise you anymore....

I think you would enjoy a collection of figures with original weapons more, especially if you have not paid big prices for. After all, isn't that what it is to be a collector. Never pay big money for loose weapons, hunt and trade my friend. The thrill of the rid is finding a box of toys going cheap with a pop up saber rattling in the bottom. Isnt that why we ride this bus?

Good luck

User avatar
Scouttroper74
New User
New User
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Scouttroper74 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:01 pm

I personally do not like to have repro items in my Vintage Star Wars collection, but have purchased the odd one that was sold with a figure I really wanted for a good price. So the 3 that I have identified as repros are on display merely as place holders until i find the real version for a decent price. And that is the crucial point. I could not justify paying more that £10 for a tiny piece of 30-40 year old plastic even if it is Star Wars. I find it incredible that anyone would pay that sort of money for a vintage weapon. So I can certainly understand and tolerate those in the collecting community who want to buy repro and display it in their collection for their own enjoyment. Especially for those who army build. In fact, if i ever do build up an army of beater figures, I might very well buy repro blasters to outfit them! So I say more power to those who want to purchase them, even though I would prefer not to have them in my collection at the moment. At the end of the day it is up to the individual how they want to collect and no one should be forced to collect in a specific way or made to feel an outcast in the community because they do so.
Nevertheless, I do recognise that there is a problem when unscrupulous sellers try to pawn off repros to unknowing newbie collectors, especially as they are getting harder to distinguish. It's a shame that the repro's can't be made with some distinguising mark or molding to identify them as such. that would go a long way to healing the divisions in our community and please the purists and more flexible collectors alike.

User avatar
Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2371
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Mini99 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:22 pm

In fact, if i ever do build up an army of beater figures, I might very well buy repro blasters to outfit them! So I say more power to those who want to purchase them


I’m sorry, I rarely disagree with collectors views on here as I believe each to their own, but...
Buying repo just perpetuates the problem, these people need to have their business staved to a point where there’s no money in them making or selling repo.
Therefore you buying their product just keeps them in the business of churning this crap out, surely you’re better off displaying your figures honestly on their own without repo weapons?

Grant, I feel your pain! 8)
Last edited by Mini99 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Scouttroper74
New User
New User
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Scouttroper74 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:06 pm

A big part of the problem is people who sell the original weapons for prohibitively high prices and the people who are willing to buy them for these prices. It just opens up a bigger market for sellers of repro weapons as many people are priced out of the market and head towards repros to 'complete' their collection. At the end of the day, you are always going to have some people who will shell out stupid money for a tiny bit of 30 year old plastic and many people who will maintain a demand for a 6 month/1 year old bit of tiny plastic to finish off their figure.

User avatar
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Somewhere Down The Rabbit Hole

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:42 pm

wicky0570 wrote:
lejackal wrote:. . . . I did actually buy some of the new floating repros . . . .


Could I ask what these figures are, please? I am interested as they may be some affordable alternatives for my son to collect?

Please don’t do this. If you’re going to buy Repro for your son just pick up the old Repro that is grey, or painted and sinks like a lead balloon. If it ever gets sold on it won’t fool anyone.

Don’t buy the new floating Repro and line the pockets of these twats who have only done it to get rich quick and if you don’t believe me read some of the threads below and you can learn about the cock and bull stories they invented to hoodwink the community. Remember when the Leia Blasters first flooded the market they were selling them as originals at £25 a piece.

And if you don’t think they’re in it to make money and they’re doing it for the good of the community because we can’t afford the real thing any longer you just have to look at that knob Darren Orme who’s selling s**t replica boxes for up to £60 when they cost next to nothing to print.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34654&hilit=Reproductions
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33987&hilit=Reproductions

User avatar
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Somewhere Down The Rabbit Hole

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:51 pm

Scouttroper74 wrote:At the end of the day it is up to the individual how they want to collect and no one should be forced to collect in a specific way or made to feel an outcast in the community because they do so.
Nevertheless, I do recognise that there is a problem when unscrupulous sellers try to pawn off repros to unknowing newbie collectors, especially as they are getting harder to distinguish. It's a shame that the repro's can't be made with some distinguising mark or molding to identify them as such. that would go a long way to healing the divisions in our community and please the purists and more flexible collectors alike.

I totally get that there are old and young collectors alike, that are not as well off, who love the Star Wars Trilogy and toy line and who want to collect the figures, but who can not afford to buy a blue black Princess blaster for £60, a solid black Endor blaster or imperial blaster for £100 or a pop-up Lightsaber for £200 - and for them the reproduction serves a valuable purpose. Who are we to deny them that right?

The issue here though is not the genuine honest collectors who are doing that but the people who are knowingly trying to pass off modern reproductions as originals. There are plenty of examples on eBay at the moment or even in the links I posted above of people knowingly or unknowingly re-selling these Blasters as originals, and here in lies the problem with the latest batch of floating Repro. They are designed with one thing in mind - to deceive. If you’re going to buy Repro buy the old Repro from the 90s that was designed as a placeholder before the Internet was around when people wanted an accessory but didn’t believe the real ones existed anymore.

User avatar
Stubbs
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 569
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Stubbs » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:18 pm

Scouttroper74 wrote:A big part of the problem is people who sell the original weapons for prohibitively high prices and the people who are willing to buy them for these prices. It just opens up a bigger market for sellers of repro weapons as many people are priced out of the market and head towards repros to 'complete' their collection. At the end of the day, you are always going to have some people who will shell out stupid money for a tiny bit of 30 year old plastic and many people who will maintain a demand for a 6 month/1 year old bit of tiny plastic to finish off their figure.



If you put a reproduction weapon with a figure to complete that figure in my opinion that is not a complete figure surely it would only be complete if it had the item it was originaly supplied with.

People keep referring to original weapons as 30 year old bits of plastic and yes it's all 30-40 year old pieces of plastic but if that's all it means to you then I don't think this hobby is for you. people pay millions for art but it's just wood and paper to me becouse I don't care for it. So I don't buy it.

User avatar
Scouttroper74
New User
New User
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Scouttroper74 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:48 pm

If you put a reproduction weapon with a figure to complete that figure in my opinion that is not a complete figure surely it would only be complete if it had the item it was originaly supplied with.
#

That may be the case in some people's opinion (I actually share your opinion- for me it's not complete) But who are we to define what a collector thinks is a 'complete' figure? Each to their own.

people keep referring to original weapons as 30 year old bits of plastic and yes it's all 30-40 year old pieces of plastic but if that's all it means to you then I don't think this hobby is for you. people pay millions for art but it's just wood and paper to me becouse I don't care for it. So I don't buy it.


To me the original weapons are 30-40 year old pieces of plastic...valuable, yes, important, yes, but not worth £10-£100. So i totally get why collectors might want repros. Again each to their own. For me Star Wars collecting is not a hobby, It's a way of life, since I was 8 years old. :). If people want to collect genuine vintage Star Wars figures with repro weapons then IMHO I think this hobby/way of life is definitely for them. :)

User avatar
Scouttroper74
New User
New User
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Scouttroper74 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:01 am

The issue here though is not the genuine honest collectors who are doing that but the people who are knowingly trying to pass off modern reproductions as originals. There are plenty of examples on eBay at the moment or even in the links I posted above of people knowingly or unknowingly re-selling these Blasters as originals, and here in lies the problem with the latest batch of floating Repro. They are designed with one thing in mind - to deceive. If you’re going to buy Repro buy the old Repro from the 90s that was designed as a placeholder before the Internet was around when people wanted an accessory but didn’t believe the real ones existed anymore.


Agreed. I think the majority of sellers that I've come across are honest about repro weapons, but of course as you mention there are scammers out there who need to be named and shamed. That's why I love sites like this and The Imperial Gunnery so that collectors new and old can be educated as to what is 'vintage' and what is 'repro' and can then make an informed choice when they shop for figures and accessories.

User avatar
Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 6973
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:15 pm
Location: Up North

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Michael Sith » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:02 am

The key to this is, as with all things, is education, research, listening to opinion and then making an informed decision

The OP has shown initially some insight by asking the question In the first place.

You can only do what's right for you in the end.
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

User avatar
Scarifpacific
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:46 pm
Location: Wiltshire, U.K

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Scarifpacific » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:29 am

As a slight aside I read on the Rebelscum forum - UK buying - of two members buying Repro stickers for vehicles. No one challenged them over this - I don’t post on there as I dislike the attitude on there. I can only feel it contributes to the same problem that has been mentioned in this thread.
You may start your landing!


My Feedback viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37054

Survival kit Chris
Regular
Regular
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Survival kit Chris » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:46 am

Scouttroper74 wrote:
If you put a reproduction weapon with a figure to complete that figure in my opinion that is not a complete figure surely it would only be complete if it had the item it was originaly supplied with.
#

That may be the case in some people's opinion (I actually share your opinion- for me it's not complete) But who are we to define what a collector thinks is a 'complete' figure? Each to their own.

people keep referring to original weapons as 30 year old bits of plastic and yes it's all 30-40 year old pieces of plastic but if that's all it means to you then I don't think this hobby is for you. people pay millions for art but it's just wood and paper to me becouse I don't care for it. So I don't buy it.


To me the original weapons are 30-40 year old pieces of plastic...valuable, yes, important, yes, but not worth £10-£100. So i totally get why collectors might want repros. Again each to their own. For me Star Wars collecting is not a hobby, It's a way of life, since I was 8 years old. :). If people want to collect genuine vintage Star Wars figures with repro weapons then IMHO I think this hobby/way of life is definitely for them. :)

Opinion ? Its not a matter of opinion . It’s a statement of fact , you either have a complete vintage figure or you don’t . There is no grey area or opinion . If you have a loose vintage figure and you attach repro weapons to them they are still incomplete.

User avatar
Scouttroper74
New User
New User
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Scouttroper74 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:27 pm

Opinion ? Its not a matter of opinion . It’s a statement of fact , you either have a complete vintage figure or you don’t . There is no grey area or opinion . If you have a loose vintage figure and you attach repro weapons to them they are still incomplete.


No, they are 'incomplete' according to your opinion. Not in the opinion of all collectors. Not everyone wants to collect as you say ' a complete VINTAGE figure', but merely a 'complete figure' ( a vintage figure albiet with a repro weapon). I never stated that a VINTAGE figure with a REPRO weapon is a 'complete VINTAGE figure'. Merely that it is a 'complete' figure in the eyes of many collectors. If that satisfies a collector, then who are we to tell them how to collect.

tobeshadow
New User
New User
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby tobeshadow » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:24 pm

Let's back away from repro Star Wars for just a minute and look at this from a wider collecting perspective. If you own a classic car and refurbish it with modern made parts, you may be able to say you own that classic car but it is not complete and original, and owners of the same car with all original parts are certainly not going to measure your car the same as they would their own. This isn't an opinion, the modern parts might be better, or more importantly for some, cheaper, but what you have is fundamentally not an original complete example.

If you want to buy repro for whatever reason, that's your decision, but it's not because it is complete 'in your eyes'. You've made a value judgement and decided you'd rather not spend out on original parts, that isn't right or wrong, just your decision. Satisfaction of the collector is one thing, but you can't change the definition of complete to suit any given situation. As Chris said, complete is a statement of fact

User avatar
Scouttroper74
New User
New User
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Scouttroper74 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:45 pm

If you want to buy repro for whatever reason, that's your decision, but it's not because it is complete 'in your eyes'. You've made a value judgement and decided you'd rather not spend out on original parts, that isn't right or wrong, just your decision. Satisfaction of the collector is one thing, but you can't change the definition of complete to suit any given situation. As Chris said, complete is a statement of fact


Well, you can change the definition of 'complete' to suit a given situation. It is either a Vintage figure 'complete' with a vintage weapon. Or a vintage figure 'complete' with a repro weapon. Both figures are 'complete'' because they both come with an accessory (genuine vintage or repro). Personally, I would rather have a complete figure with a 'vintage' weapon and would avoid purchasing repro, but that is not the point. And how many Vintage cars out there still have all/ 100% of their constituent parts from the body/interior right down to the engine components compared to when they rolled off the factory floor? By your definition of 'complete' then these vintage cars are not 'complete' either.


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests