Header image

Reproduction Weapons

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
tobeshadow
New User
New User
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby tobeshadow » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:41 pm

I think if you read back over my posts, you'll find I share your thoughts on repro exactly. I can't stand it on any level. I'm not defending it on any level either, just debating its role, however unwanted, in modern collecting. I don't know you personally either, does that stop us being able to have a discussion? :)

User avatar
Stubbs
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 569
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Stubbs » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:47 pm

tobeshadow wrote:I think if you read back over my posts, you'll find I share your thoughts on repro exactly. I can't stand it on any level. I'm not defending it on any level either, just debating its role, however unwanted, in modern collecting. I don't know you personally either, does that stop us being able to have a discussion? :)



Absolutely everyone is freely aloud to express there opinion and have a discussion. When i said alarm bells should be ringing to new collectors this was not aimed at you.

tobeshadow
New User
New User
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby tobeshadow » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:02 pm

Never thought it was! :) I've been a solitary collector for a long time, so keen to chat stuff which is probably routine for a lot of members. Weird knowing where to start with so many posts and so much knowledge/experience! Always learning! :D

Good hunting!

Survival kit Chris
Regular
Regular
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Survival kit Chris » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:46 am

Scouttroper74 wrote:
I'm simply supporting an earlier comment that complete is a statement of fact when it comes to Star Wars, it isn't open for interpretation. We know which toys were released and what each toy came with, essentially what the complete form looked like. You either have the figure/vehicle/play-set complete, or you don't.


The definition of what is 'complete' is in fact open to interpretation. What you are arguing for is the definition of a 'complete' VINTAGE figure. If you are stating that a 'complete' VINTAGE figure is only complete Vintage if it has its original accessory then I actually agree.

My point went completely over your head . My opinion means nothing nor does someone else’s . The factory decided many years ago what a complete figure is , all contents within the blister of the moc . That is not open to interpretation or opinions , it’s what ever the hell was sealed in the blister all them years ago . No ones opinion or interpretation will ever change what was sealed in them cards all them years ago .

Survival kit Chris
Regular
Regular
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Survival kit Chris » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:02 am

Scouttroper74 wrote:
Opinion ? Its not a matter of opinion . It’s a statement of fact , you either have a complete vintage figure or you don’t . There is no grey area or opinion . If you have a loose vintage figure and you attach repro weapons to them they are still incomplete.


No, they are 'incomplete' according to your opinion. Not in the opinion of all collectors. Not everyone wants to collect as you say ' a complete VINTAGE figure', but merely a 'complete figure' ( a vintage figure albiet with a repro weapon). I never stated that a VINTAGE figure with a REPRO weapon is a 'complete VINTAGE figure'. Merely that it is a 'complete' figure in the eyes of many collectors. If that satisfies a collector, then who are we to tell them how to collect.

It’s not a matter of opinion buddy , it’s a statement of fact . You and I don’t decide what is complete and vintage , that was decided a long time ago by Kenner with zero input from me and you . My opinion and yours is worthless. Kenner has already dictated what is a complete figure a long time ago . That’s a fact . No opinion , no interpretation. Me and you and anyone else can not change that “fact”.

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Dannywhiteley » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:58 am

Scouttroper74 wrote:
Using the term; 'lazy mans collection' is not helpful when describing the collection habits of people who don't have the funds or time to search out genuine vintage parts for their figure. They are every bit a valuable member of the collecting community as anyone else.


Actually I'd argue this point more vehemently than the 'is repro complete' point. These collectors who click £1 BIN for repro on eBay are definitely not as valuable as other members who take time the to contribute positively to the hobby, whether that's in as much as developing guides, sharing knowledge or defending the ethics of the hobby. The £1 BIN clickers are more likely to bail in 12 months having no contribution to the hobby at all. Yes, some stay and develop and become active participants but most are just scratching an itch that is easily reached and therefore get easily bored. They don't know what exists beyond FB let alone take the time to read up on all the wonderful historical information available on sites such as SWCA.

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Dannywhiteley » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:08 am

Like anything achieved very quickly, it's not appreciated the same as something that's taken time, effort and research to achieve. As a result the likelihood of a £1 BIN collector dumping their collection in 12 months time is exponentially increased. Does that person care if their repros end up in the market? The answer is no, probably not as they aren't as invested in the hobby.

It's not snobbery, it's fact.

User avatar
Scouttroper74
New User
New User
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Scouttroper74 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:19 pm

My point went completely over your head . My opinion means nothing nor does someone else’s . The factory decided many years ago what a complete figure is , all contents within the blister of the moc . That is not open to interpretation or opinions , it’s what ever the hell was sealed in the blister all them years ago . No ones opinion or interpretation will ever change what was sealed in them cards all them years ago .


No...! I think your own point has completely gone over your own head, sir!

Firstly, the factory NEVER decided what a 'complete' figure was or is. Why the hell would they care!

But lets take your contention that the factory has decided many years ago what is a complete figure as a 'fact' for arguments sake.

I take it you have a complete collection of loose 'Vintage' figures with original weapons? This is certainly true for many collectors who are so vehemently against repro (and again they have every right to be!).

So then what you are saying is that even your collection of loose figures (all with original loose weapons) is not complete. Because they are no longer 'sealed in that blister with the card' that was defined by the 'factory' as 'complete'. Having them displayed without the blister and card makes them incomplete. Under your 'interpretation' it must therefore stand that the only truly 'complete' figures are those that are mint on card.

User avatar
Scouttroper74
New User
New User
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Scouttroper74 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Actually I'd argue this point more vehemently than the 'is repro complete' point. These collectors who click £1 BIN for repro on eBay are definitely not as valuable as other members who take time the to contribute positively to the hobby,


So what about collectors like Toy Polloi who do highlight repro in their collection, but who only use it for army building? Are we to lump everyone in the same boat and say they are all lazy and detremental to the hobby? It's people like Toy Polloi who are a credit to the hobby and inject energy and enthusiasm into it.

Survival kit Chris
Regular
Regular
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Survival kit Chris » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Scouttroper74 wrote:
My point went completely over your head . My opinion means nothing nor does someone else’s . The factory decided many years ago what a complete figure is , all contents within the blister of the moc . That is not open to interpretation or opinions , it’s what ever the hell was sealed in the blister all them years ago . No ones opinion or interpretation will ever change what was sealed in them cards all them years ago .


No...! I think your own point has completely gone over your own head, sir!

Firstly, the factory NEVER decided what a 'complete' figure was or is. Why the hell would they care!

But lets take your contention that the factory has decided many years ago what is a complete figure as a 'fact' for arguments sake.

I take it you have a complete collection of loose 'Vintage' figures with original weapons? This is certainly true for many collectors who are so vehemently against repro (and again they have every right to be!).

So then what you are saying is that even your collection of loose figures (all with original loose weapons) is not complete. Because they are no longer 'sealed in that blister with the card' that was defined by the 'factory' as 'complete'. Having them displayed without the blister and card makes them incomplete. Under your 'interpretation' it must therefore stand that the only truly 'complete' figures are those that are mint on card.

Are you trying to guess what people are saying and trying to put words into their mouths ? Your beyond me and I don’t care to seriously attempt to communicate with you . Your not playing with a full deck .

User avatar
Scouttroper74
New User
New User
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Scouttroper74 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:40 pm

Your not playing with a full deck .


Very mature! :?

I don't particularly care to communicate further with you either as you come across as extremely self righteous and rude!

Survival kit Chris
Regular
Regular
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Survival kit Chris » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:42 pm

Scouttroper74 wrote:
My point went completely over your head . My opinion means nothing nor does someone else’s . The factory decided many years ago what a complete figure is , all contents within the blister of the moc . That is not open to interpretation or opinions , it’s what ever the hell was sealed in the blister all them years ago . No ones opinion or interpretation will ever change what was sealed in them cards all them years ago .


No...! I think your own point has completely gone over your own head, sir!

Firstly, the factory NEVER decided what a 'complete' figure was or is. Why the hell would they care!

But lets take your contention that the factory has decided many years ago what is a complete figure as a 'fact' for arguments sake.

I take it you have a complete collection of loose 'Vintage' figures with original weapons? This is certainly true for many collectors who are so vehemently against repro (and again they have every right to be!).

So then what you are saying is that even your collection of loose figures (all with original loose weapons) is not complete. Because they are no longer 'sealed in that blister with the card' that was defined by the 'factory' as 'complete'. Having them displayed without the blister and card makes them incomplete. Under your 'interpretation' it must therefore stand that the only truly 'complete' figures are those that are mint on card.

Loose is incomplete because it isn’t moc ? It wouldn’t be loose then would it ? The factory doesn’t decide what is complete , what do they care ? Go get help mate .

User avatar
Scouttroper74
New User
New User
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Scouttroper74 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:49 pm

Loose is incomplete because it isn’t moc ? It wouldn’t be loose then would it ? The factory doesn’t decide what is complete , what do they care ?


Yes, but my point is that most collectors still define a loose figure with a loose original weapon as complete!!!!!

Go get help mate .


I think you are the one who should seek help! Help with controlling your ego and manners! If you are not capable of conducting a civil discussion without resorting to condescention then why bother!?

Survival kit Chris
Regular
Regular
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Survival kit Chris » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Scouttroper74 wrote:
Loose is incomplete because it isn’t moc ? It wouldn’t be loose then would it ? The factory doesn’t decide what is complete , what do they care ?


Yes, but my point is that most collectors still define a loose figure with a loose original weapon as complete!!!!!

Go get help mate .


I think you are the one who should seek help! Help with controlling your ego and manners! If you are not capable of conducting a civil discussion without resorting to condescention then why bother!?

I don’t care what you think . Give it up .

User avatar
Scouttroper74
New User
New User
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Reproduction Weapons

Postby Scouttroper74 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:10 pm

I don't care to SERIOUSLY attempt to communicate with you


Yeah! You got that right!!!
Last edited by Scouttroper74 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests