Header image

Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:19 pm

When I first started collecting; Palitoy was worth more than Kenner, has the tide turned?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Sparky P
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:05 am

Re: Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Postby Sparky P » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:27 pm

Can you give an example please mate?

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Re: Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Postby Dannywhiteley » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:40 pm

In most cases palitoy worth more, especially logod stuff. However, crystal clear bubble Kenner Jedi cards definitely fetch a big premium these days over many palitoy Jedi cards.

jayums
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Re: Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Postby jayums » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:51 pm

Dannywhiteley wrote:In most cases palitoy worth more, especially logod stuff. However, crystal clear bubble Kenner Jedi cards definitely fetch a big premium these days over many palitoy Jedi cards.


Yeah I’ve noticed that too, at least anecdotally. Why is that do you think Danny ? For me a lot of the Rotj look cleaner without the logo

User avatar
Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Postby Snaketibe » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:50 pm

At the risk of chipping in, I guess it's because globally most Star Wars collectors are American, and just like many UK collectors prefer Palitoy because that's what they had as children, in the States the nostalgia will be for Kenner. Since ROJ MOCs with clear bubbles are becoming scarce, the demand for them and hence their prices will go up in turn.

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 9783
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:54 am

I think there is kenner items that is more rare than palitoy items but then again there is palitoy items that is more rare then kenner items.

But I guess most palitoy items is more rare than kenner items.

User avatar
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin
Posts: 6397
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:43 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Postby edd_jedi » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:04 am

I think the prices of Kenner stuff has risen a lot over the last couple of years, where as Palitoy was high to start with but hasn't really moved. A lot of the logo Palitoy stuff hasn't changed much in a decade, I watched a few items end on eBay last night that went surprisingly low.

jedisearcher
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1446
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Re: Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Postby jedisearcher » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:47 am

edd_jedi wrote:I think the prices of Kenner stuff has risen a lot over the last couple of years, where as Palitoy was high to start with but hasn't really moved. A lot of the logo Palitoy stuff hasn't changed much in a decade, I watched a few items end on eBay last night that went surprisingly low.


There’s a lot more Palitoy stuff around now than a decade ago. The Vectis rep find, other shop finds etc. mean that supply has significantly increased. So whilst prices have fallen on some “once rare/now common” items like the usual 6 30a’s, the “once rare/still rare” items will still command steep prices.
WTB thread - most Palitoy 30b's and 3 debut 45a's: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17224

Memories from a 1980s Toy Shop: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24289

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2876
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:56 am

jedisearcher wrote:
edd_jedi wrote:I think the prices of Kenner stuff has risen a lot over the last couple of years, where as Palitoy was high to start with but hasn't really moved. A lot of the logo Palitoy stuff hasn't changed much in a decade, I watched a few items end on eBay last night that went surprisingly low.


There’s a lot more Palitoy stuff around now than a decade ago. The Vectis rep find, other shop finds etc. mean that supply has significantly increased. So whilst prices have fallen on some “once rare/now common” items like the usual 6 30a’s, the “once rare/still rare” items will still command steep prices.


Totally. There is still the belief those 6 x 30As (well, certainly 4 of them you trip over) are rare when they seem to be anything but. Let’s face it, most of those are more widely available on 30 back than any other Palitoy logo card. So if you bought them over 3 or 4 years ago when they were still harder to find then yes, even Kenner Klaatus have out performed them. It’s why I think you should never, ever be the first to purchase a “never seen before” item at auction: the number of them known to exist can only increase.

Of course, if you have the cash and are buying it because you love it then it really doesn’t matter, does it? Last I checked most here were collectors, not investors, and I have limited (no) sympathy for the latter as they’re part of the problem group who help force prices up for the collectors.

User avatar
jared007
Regular
Regular
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:19 pm

Re: Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Postby jared007 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:30 am

I tend to think early Palitoy is rarer and more pricey than early Kenner - I'm talking SW and ESB stuff when the Palitoy logo is still printed on the cardfronts. But when it comes to Jedi, I personally think the brandless palitoy jedi cards are a bit stale and much prefer the kenner ROTJ versions - I would pay more for the kenner versions. But in this end of the range, I think it can go either way in terms of price.

(I am Australian though, so that may influence how much sentimentality I have for Palitoy).
Digital vintage price guide and portfolio system: http://www.starwarstracker.com

User avatar
palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2639
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Postby palitoyjunky » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:00 pm

Defo more Kenner about than Palitoy. Geography alone would suggest that ie looking at the size of the UK and the US.
However there are a hell of a lot more Kenner collectors than Palitoy so it’s all proportionate and therefore the demand is prob more or less equal.
So as much as Palitoy is valuable to us Brits, Kenner is to the Americans :!:
Looking for mint sealed or unused Palitoy Empire.

Survival kit Chris
Regular
Regular
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Postby Survival kit Chris » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Don’t know what’s worth more nor do I care . I prefer Kenner because that’s what I grew up with .

User avatar
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 907
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Somewhere Down The Rabbit Hole

Re: Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:52 pm

IMO collectors pay a premium for the Palitoy logo, because the colours are so vivid and patriotic and evoke a sense of nostalgia, hence SW and ESB are highly sought after. When it comes to ROTJ there is no logo and no nostalgia, and at that point I think collectors prefer a logo to none at all.

User avatar
peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 779
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Re: Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Postby peekaygee73 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:12 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:IMO collectors pay a premium for the Palitoy logo, because the colours are so vivid and patriotic and evoke a sense of nostalgia, hence SW and ESB are highly sought after. When it comes to ROTJ there is no logo and no nostalgia, and at that point I think collectors prefer a logo to none at all.

As someone who remembers SW & ESB Palitoy cards it's certainly nostalgia for me. I seem to remember Kenner cards becoming more prevalent around the time of the 45-backs. Even as a kid I remember finding the Jedi Palitoy cardbacks dull compared to the Kenner ones, to the extent I'd seek out a Kenner version of a figure rather than Palitoy.

currymonster6290
Regular
Regular
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Re: Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Postby currymonster6290 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:12 pm

its funny I read a few comments and most are moc related not sure why! yes palitoy
carded are over priced and worth more but if you look at say store displays
then kenner blows palitoy out of the water more than 5 or 6 times the value! so depending
on your point of view yes


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pabs1977, Stuart Skinner and 10 guests