THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 48 LIVE

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
48twit.jpg

Episode 48 : Goldilocks and the Tree Bears

Welcome to Episode 48 of the Vintage Rebellion, bit later than normal.

Andy Goulding joins the team for this months focal interview as we delve into early collecting, shows round the UK in the 1990s and we delve into his love of movie props.

In this month's Rebel Briefings Rich brings not one, not two, not three but four amazing discoveries that collectors have been hunting for nearly 20 years from pre-production items to packaging to bootlegs to production figures. Helping him delve into one of these topics both Paul Chu and Todd Hudson drop by to offer their expertise.

In NA the lads review some brilliant bargains, a cast and crew grail piece, a Japanese Pop Up Book and are joined by Andy Preston who talks about his fantastic Pye records' store display. The section is concluded with an in depth look at the POTF Skiff with help from Ron Salvatore. Keep an ear out for when Simon outs S#####7 as a shill bidder extraordinaire!

You don't get many of those to the pound in Markets this month. More interesting and interestingly priced items from eBay are covered. Simon also takes a look at a recent sale at Gildings Auctioneers and invites the team to take their pick from a wonderful selection of movie posters offered by the Prop Store in an upcoming sale. The results are surprising.

Pete takes us on an extended look at NA when he examines the Skiff in more detail, looking at what else the Skiff turned up on for all you Skiff focus collectors, as well as bringing us his Gimcrack of the Month and his well loved Top Five.

All this plus plenty more including Weakest Link and stay listening for the outro when Jez has an unusual theory about people not liking TLJ the first time.

Enjoy the show!!!

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks, really looking forward to this:
"Andy Goulding joins the team for this months focal interview as we delve into early collecting, shows round the UK in the 1990s"

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Beezer!

Thanks guys. Any Pye Records ( or any other company with an evocotave 70s logo) / Star Wars crossover is good news,

Declan

Taffius

Sith Lord
Thanks Jez for the mutual support comment during weakest link quiz. One family! :lol:

Liked the format. Quick SW questions, even got a few right!! :lol: :lol:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Enjoying it so far as usual! Just want to correct something mentioned in Simon's market watch section regarding the Palitoy Fett. That was the one I bought, and it didn't sell for $2500, I got it for $1600. It's annoying that eBay no longer shows if a best offer price was accepted as it skews past sales. $1600 is still a lot of money, but with Toy Toni's fakes still selling for hundreds of pounds I thought just over £1000 for the real deal was a reasonable price. You're right it was very obvious the seller had no idea about the item which is why I approached him with a few facts (including past sales) and made the offer which he accepted.

Also as you can see in the bottom photo (genuine one in the middle) the light blue Fett was never supposed to come on this card, that is something Toni invented and lots of people now wrongly think that is the correct figure for these cards.

fett1.png

fett2.png

fett3.png

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Edd, fair play to you. And I stand corrected on the price. It didn't even show up as a "or best offer" when I looked at it as I am now well versed with your handy hint of using the ebay.com.au site to check best price :) I do think it's still a sizeable amount for a Palitoy 65 back Fett but like you say: it's a good one. That said, when we've seen TT Fett's sell for as much as £1,500, is £1,100 unreasonable for the real deal? Well, that's for the buyer to determine, which you have!

Very interesting that the so-called Trilogo Fett didn't appear on this card. So it only ever appear on Trilogo cards? I thought TT has introduced it incorrectly to the 45c but he didn't have any 65 Fett cardbacks, or am I now confusing myself?!

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Edd, fair play to you. And I stand corrected on the price. It didn't even show up as a "or best offer" when I looked at it as I am now well versed with your handy hint of using the ebay.com.au site to check best price :) I do think it's still a sizeable amount for a Palitoy 65 back Fett but like you say: it's a good one. That said, when we've seen TT Fett's sell for as much as £1,500, is £1,100 unreasonable for the real deal? Well, that's for the buyer to determine, which you have!

Very interesting that the so-called Trilogo Fett didn't appear on this card. So it only ever appear on Trilogo cards? I thought TT has introduced it incorrectly to the 45c but he didn't have any 65 Fett cardbacks, or am I now confusing myself?!

The unpainted knee fett can not be found on this card but the "light blue fett " can

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I just realised why it didn't show as best offer, it's because it was a fixed price but he then sent me an offer after I sent him a verbal one via messaging. Looks like if that happens it still just shows the original price, so we should take BIN prices with a pinch of salt.

I'm certainly no expert on Fett variants so may well be wrong. I don't recall seeing any legit light blue Fetts on 45 backs, but there could be some out there. Yes you're right 65 backs in theory should all be good as 'the list' only includes 45s.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Cardbackkid said:
The unpainted knee fett can not be found on this card but the "light blue fett " can

Excellent info, many thanks indeed. So, by "light blue Fett" you mean the Trilogo Fett or simply the Taiwan Fett? You'll have to bear with me here, I still don't know which of the TL Fetts are rare/desirable/common as muck as there seems to be a new variation "discovered" each week and it's more than my binary-variation (blond hair/brown hair, big head/little head, hollow tubes/solid tubes) brain can handle.

edd_jedi said:
I just realised why it didn't show as best offer, it's because it was a fixed price but he then sent me an offer after I sent him a verbal one via messaging. Looks like if that happens it still just shows the original price, so we should take BIN prices with a pinch of salt.

I'm certainly no expert on Fett variants so may well be wrong. I don't recall seeing any legit light blue Fetts on 45 backs, but there could be some out there. Yes you're right 65 backs in theory should all be good as 'the list' only includes 45s.

Oh good, I'm glad I wasn't being a complete idiot then (shut it, Stuart). I can rightly stand by my belief that a 65 back Palitoy Fett is not worth $2,500 USD any day of the week :lol: Seriously though, thanks for clarifying Edd, will definitely put that in the feedback section this month. And what with it being so early in the month that gives Rich a couple of weeks to script a suitably funny disparaging comment about me. Hmmmmm, on second thoughts we may bump that to next month.....

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Cardbackkid said:

Excellent info, many thanks indeed. So, by "light blue Fett" you mean the Trilogo Fett or simply the Taiwan Fett? You'll have to bear with me here, I still don't know which of the TL Fetts are rare/desirable/common as muck as there seems to be a new variation "discovered" each week and it's more than my binary-variation (blond hair/brown hair, big head/little head, hollow tubes/solid tubes) brain can handle.

edd_jedi said:

Oh good, I'm glad I wasn't being a complete idiot then (shut it, Stuart). I can rightly stand by my belief that a 65 back Palitoy Fett is not worth $2,500 USD any day of the week :lol: Seriously though, thanks for clarifying Edd, will definitely put that in the feedback section this month. And what with it being so early in the month that gives Rich a couple of weeks to script a suitably funny disparaging comment about me. Hmmmmm, on second thoughts we may bump that to next month.....

Yep can get a bit confusing when it comes to Fetts ... the unpainted knee / unpainted dart /painted knee / painted dart etc better known as the PBP fetts have only surfaced on trilogo cards I believe ? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong ) and the "light blue" no coo Fett has been found on the 65 back jedi palitoy and the jedi meccano card and pbp jedi card I believe but the "true " trilogo smooth no coo fett is exclusive to the French trilogo card .

And I can confirm certain 65 back fetts will sell for over £2k as I sold one :)

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Great episode once again guys, I really do look forward to these each month, really brightens my day to have a new episode in my phone to keep me entertained on the morning commute.

I thought the Weakest Link was good, great questions and I loved the tactical voting by Jez!

Andy Goulding's interview was excellent, he was an excellent guest host back alon,g and the feature interview was really good. Although I don't know Andy personally his collecting journey is very similar to mine and he has an amazing collection. I'd go along with Stuart's suggestion for a round table discussion on props in a future episode, that would make good listening.

Thank you for featuring my Pye record display in New Acquisitions, I'm always really impressed by the items that are discussed and it's an honour to be featured amongst them. Cheers!

The skiff discussion was very good also, it would have been great to have seen this in the variant Droids packaging, I think it could have sat very nicely alongside the A-wing. I can't believe you missed the Jedi Play-doh set though, it features a great little plastic skiff model as well as the chance to mould your very own Hutt!

2018-02-25 13.41.02.jpg

2018-02-25 13.47.43.jpg

Thanks again to all for another great show, roll on Episode 49!

Taffius

Sith Lord
Well just listened and completed the near 6 hr edition and your right - it is nice to see Jez back. The pod is now balanced again, pitch is better, and the keystone is back in place. :D
So much content this month and great follow up comments here. Like me, a lot of newbies have low experience levels in the hobby so thanks for all the info and wisdom your contributers and yourselves put aside in time and effort to deliver a show that is credible, funny, light hearted and a joy to listen whilst breaking up the to and fro of travel to work.
I am sure the majority do not want that bloody Taffius mentioned again but all can be assured that as I may go quiet soon, I will be here in the background, always anticipating the next episode.
All the best guys and see you on the other side. :D

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Just finished it and really enjoyed this one. As a bit of personal feedback I'm not sure what others think, but I thought some recent episodes ventured away from vintage toys a bit too much. I think a bit of gimcrack/beyond the toys is cool but as it's "the vintage rebellion" I personally prefer at least 75% of the content to be about vintage toys. This episode was just about right.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Cardbackkid said:
Yep can get a bit confusing when it comes to Fetts ... the unpainted knee / unpainted dart /painted knee / painted dart etc better known as the PBP fetts have only surfaced on trilogo cards I believe ? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong ) and the "light blue" no coo Fett has been found on the 65 back jedi palitoy and the jedi meccano card and pbp jedi card I believe but the "true " trilogo smooth no coo fett is exclusive to the French trilogo card .

And I can confirm certain 65 back fetts will sell for over £2k as I sold one :)

That's great information about the Fetts, thank you. I do not even hope to claim I'll recall that all when I need to but good to see it written down somewhere.

At this stage I am still saying that no 65 back Fett is worth £2k because I am stubborn as a mule and like to try and approach vintage with at least an illusion of a sensible head.....however, you have sold one for that. I don't know how to deal with that knowledge. I may have to just go and bury my head in the sand and pretend I never heard that. Alternatively, I could drop you a PM.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom