Header image

THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 48 LIVE

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
AndyPreston
Regular
Regular

Re: THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 48 LIVE

Postby AndyPreston » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:35 pm

Great episode once again guys, I really do look forward to these each month, really brightens my day to have a new episode in my phone to keep me entertained on the morning commute.

I thought the Weakest Link was good, great questions and I loved the tactical voting by Jez!

Andy Goulding's interview was excellent, he was an excellent guest host back alon,g and the feature interview was really good. Although I don't know Andy personally his collecting journey is very similar to mine and he has an amazing collection. I'd go along with Stuart's suggestion for a round table discussion on props in a future episode, that would make good listening.

Thank you for featuring my Pye record display in New Acquisitions, I'm always really impressed by the items that are discussed and it's an honour to be featured amongst them. Cheers!

The skiff discussion was very good also, it would have been great to have seen this in the variant Droids packaging, I think it could have sat very nicely alongside the A-wing. I can't believe you missed the Jedi Play-doh set though, it features a great little plastic skiff model as well as the chance to mould your very own Hutt!

2018-02-25 13.41.02.jpg
2018-02-25 13.41.02.jpg (76.22 KiB) Viewed 289 times

2018-02-25 13.47.43.jpg
2018-02-25 13.47.43.jpg (93.07 KiB) Viewed 289 times

Thanks again to all for another great show, roll on Episode 49!
Looking for any non-toy vintage British items esp. store displays, advertising & promotional items, and cast & crew or prop items.

Taffius
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Taffius » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:51 am

Well just listened and completed the near 6 hr edition and your right - it is nice to see Jez back. The pod is now balanced again, pitch is better, and the keystone is back in place. :D
So much content this month and great follow up comments here. Like me, a lot of newbies have low experience levels in the hobby so thanks for all the info and wisdom your contributers and yourselves put aside in time and effort to deliver a show that is credible, funny, light hearted and a joy to listen whilst breaking up the to and fro of travel to work.
I am sure the majority do not want that bloody Taffius mentioned again but all can be assured that as I may go quiet soon, I will be here in the background, always anticipating the next episode.
All the best guys and see you on the other side. :D

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:29 am

Just finished it and really enjoyed this one. As a bit of personal feedback I'm not sure what others think, but I thought some recent episodes ventured away from vintage toys a bit too much. I think a bit of gimcrack/beyond the toys is cool but as it's "the vintage rebellion" I personally prefer at least 75% of the content to be about vintage toys. This episode was just about right.

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:47 am

Cardbackkid wrote:
Yep can get a bit confusing when it comes to Fetts ... the unpainted knee / unpainted dart /painted knee / painted dart etc better known as the PBP fetts have only surfaced on trilogo cards I believe ? (Someone correct me if I’m wrong ) and the “light blue” no coo Fett has been found on the 65 back jedi palitoy and the jedi meccano card and pbp jedi card I believe but the “true “ trilogo smooth no coo fett is exclusive to the French trilogo card .

And I can confirm certain 65 back fetts will sell for over £2k as I sold one :)

That's great information about the Fetts, thank you. I do not even hope to claim I'll recall that all when I need to but good to see it written down somewhere.

At this stage I am still saying that no 65 back Fett is worth £2k because I am stubborn as a mule and like to try and approach vintage with at least an illusion of a sensible head.....however, you have sold one for that. I don't know how to deal with that knowledge. I may have to just go and bury my head in the sand and pretend I never heard that. Alternatively, I could drop you a PM.....

Scarifpacific
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Scarifpacific » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:22 am

Loving Andy Gouldings interview. Especially namechecking my local toy shop at the time Trents in Swindon.
You may start your landing!

My Feedback viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37054

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Thanks again for a great episode, the hard work really does show through.
The interview with Andy Gouldings was great, not only the segment about his collection, which must be amazing, but more so the recollections of collecting in the 90’s at events like Cheshunt.
These brought back vivid memories of dealers and their tables at events like this, the anticipation of queueing up and not knowing what you will find; we must have been there together many times, small world.
Younger collectors will possibly find it hard to believe in the pre internet age, these events were only on a few times a year, and were often your SW collecting fix for the next few months!
I too must also but my weight behind Simon’s “market watch” segment, last months and this have been great and a big refresh on an old idea, please keep it up.
Please also stop Jez watching those “adult” themed movies, it seems, they've gone to his head. :lol:

Seahawks
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Seahawks » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:31 am

Yet another great show this month fellas. Welcome back Jez and congrats on an amazing feat for a great cause!

Enjoyed the discussion on the skiff. I still have my original that my parents bought for me at Toys R Us back in 1985 or 1986. I was around 11 or 12, and was toward the end of my playing with toys phase. It's still in pretty good shape considering how fragile it is. I remember being super excited to get it as I no longer had to use the 2x6 board I had as a placeholder skiff. Always loved the "walk the plank" feature as well as the door that flipped up to throw the Jabba Goons overboard. These cool features definitely made up for it's lack of electronics.

Here is a pic of my makeshift skiff that I used back in the day (taken in '85 I believe) and my childhood skiff I got shortly after this (taken a couple years ago recreating one of my favorite scenes in ROTJ).

skiff1.jpg
skiff1.jpg (107.4 KiB) Viewed 228 times

skiff2.jpg
skiff2.jpg (60.68 KiB) Viewed 228 times

mr_palitoy
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby mr_palitoy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:07 am

Another cracking podcast.

But...

Where was...

Moncalamariopoly

:)

Jason
Many Bothans died to bring us this information...

Want Palitoy ESB 45A Back (Blue Circle Offer) 2-1B MOC and Palitoy ESB 30B cardbacks for first 12 figures

Mr Palitoy's Cardback Guide
http://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy

TK-7785
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby TK-7785 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:32 am

Another cracking episode, lads. Particularly enjoyed Andy Goulding's interview. Took me right back to hunting in the 90s. :)

Another excellent Market Watch from Simon. :wink: I liked Richard's advice on what I should have done with the auction house that screwed me on the "original vintage" weapons. I did the southern equivalent though...I wrote a strongly worded email and have refrained from giving them my business any longer. :lol:

Chris
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies... http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37721
ROTJ Store Display Items

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Great podcast this month, really enjoyed Andy Goulding's interview. Massively regret never going to Tunisia, would love to see the original sets etc. Not sure I'd be confident going in the current political climate. I don't really fancy going with a platoon of armed guards, although it would be a bit like Rogue one.

Interesting that Andy confirmed his Imperial Gunner had a blue blaster, then the later discussion revealed people paying upwards of £100 for the black blaster for the A Wing pilot. Does anyone know if the A Wing pilot ever came with the blue? Such a crazy price for such a rubbish weapon.

Did anyone notice the scratching sound during his interview? Sounded like someone was doing scratch cards? We’ve all done it, overspent then had to turn to gambling to pay the gas bill.

Really liked the Palitoy packing box, crazy price but a real piece of history. Pure vintage Star Wars madness. But a really cool piece.

The early collecting shows of the 90's sound legendary, really got me in the mood for the next FF.

Great work as usual.

Looking forward to your appraisals of Solo.

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Really enjoyed the Andy Goulding interview also. His enthusiasm for the hobby is so infectious. I will say I really miss Grant’s Beyond The Toys section with some stellar interviews such as The Art of Ralph McQuarrie with Brandon Alinger and David Mandel, and plastic degradation with Lee Bullock. Don’t know that the podcast has really filled that hole yet, which is a shame especially since Pete has done some great interviews in the past like the Mete Akin Uzay one, as well as his trio of Toyshop interviews. I totally agree with Edd that the format was much more enjoyable this month focussing on the vintage and a little less of the weirdest and wackiest gimcrack (but that’s just me).

I still think you’re all doing a totally awesome job BTW and it’s great to have Jez’s delighted little squeals back on the airwaves... he really is like an excited little kid every time he discusses a new item in NA... you just know he’s going straight out to buy one :lol: .

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:57 pm

Many thanks for this it is great feedback and something we can look at to improve.
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”