ESB Palitoy / PBP Bossk Figure

Hod10

Padawan
Hi there,

I have a Palitoy ESB 45b Bossk, with the bounty hunter offer on the reverse. Factory sealed with the lined seal pattern which is correct for this issue.

The figure itself is what people call a Spanish (PBP) Bossk with the bigger lips than standard. These figures seem common on many factory sealed samples of this exclusive to UK card.

My question is how did these figures end up on these British cards... did Palitoy import Spanish overstock or did Spain import Palitoy stock? Or really, are they just 'European' Bossk's, improted from Asia just with a bit more paint applied to the lips?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Attachments

• bossk_palitoy.jpg
    bossk_palitoy.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,407

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
You'll get different opinions but IMO calling these (and other) figures PBP is bollocks. Similarly the "PBP" Han Hoth usually turns up on English Palitoy cards. It's just nonsense variant collectors have made up.

poncho

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
You'll get different opinions but IMO calling these (and other) figures PBP is bollocks. Similarly the "PBP" Han Hoth usually turns up on English Palitoy cards. It's just nonsense variant collectors have made up.

ha ha youd be shot on the face book variant groups for that edd :lol:

the han hoths the at at commanders and dengars no COO scarred are common as muck. stick pbp in front of them people think there worth more.

they do smell nice!

Hod10

Padawan
edd_jedi said:

Thanks for the reply, a very British answer straight down the line, like it! :D That's the way my mind is going I think regards these particular figs

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:

:lol:

Hod10

Padawan
...will add that this is the first figure I can remember being bought individually, on that cardback. Very sentimental to it. Certainly not bought for the PBP element... quite the opposite

Attachments

• starwarsfigs_1983.jpg
    starwarsfigs_1983.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,361

Hod10

Padawan
TheJabbaWookie said:
Beautiful mint figure. Hope the MOC is just as nice

Cheers, had it quite a while now. It's just something thats been bugging me. One of those people that's needs answers :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hod10 said:
Hi there,

I have a Palitoy ESB 45b Bossk, with the bounty hunter offer on the reverse. Factory sealed with the lined seal pattern which is correct for this issue.

The figure itself is what people call a Spanish (PBP) Bossk with the bigger lips than standard. These figures seem common on many factory sealed samples of this exclusive to UK card.

My question is how did these figures end up on these British cards... did Palitoy import Spanish overstock or did Spain import Palitoy stock? Or really, are they just 'European' Bossk's, improted from Asia just with a bit more paint applied to the lips?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

It looks PBP to me :wink: some PBP figures can be found on palitoy cards. I do not know if Palitoy imported Spanish overstock but maybe they did, just like maybe some factories imported overstock parts :? like some stormtroopers have been found on kenner cards with a pbp body and kenner legs and arms. on this link they write about farmer luke parts that got mixed up on the pbp factories http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t4427p465-the-poch-pbp-guide-discussion-thread-part-one#95812

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Exactly as above, lots of "maybes" and "possiblies", it's all just theories and speculation. The figure most people call the PBP Luke Bespin is the one Toy Toni had hundreds of and was attaching to his Palitoy cards. He was also selling them loose until very recently. We all know they came from a Palitoy overstock find like the rest of his stock. I think it's pretty unlikely Palitoy bought them from Spain.

I'd love to see what evidence these variant collectors have that these figures were either manufactured in Spain, or specifically for the PBP market. We know the former isn't true because as you can see here it clearly says made in Hong Kong on the card:

Pal45CPBPClipperminicataloguefront.jpg

There are a few made in Spain figures, they are clearly marked on the card:

IMG_1210_1_.JPG

We also know they weren't manufactured specifically for PBP because they turn up far more often on British Palitoy cards than they do on Spanish cards.

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
Hod10 said:
...will add that this is the first figure I can remember being bought individually, on that cardback. Very sentimental to it. Certainly not bought for the PBP element... quite the opposite

Great picture :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I remember an old thread that I started years ago on tig. I do not know if we know more today, I think it is hard to find new info, but maybe this thread can help a little bit about the production http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t3410-palitoy-and-pbp-figures

Hod10

Padawan
Thanks for the responses, Interesting stuff! I've never seen this particular figure (big lips Bossk) on a made in Spain moc or on a carded Poch/PBP card either. Only these Palitoy 45b backs. It appears from the research I've done (very limited research) the evidence of this being produced in Spain is gathered from finds in Spanish childhood collections... which doesn't rule out a large batch with extra paint on the lips coming into Europe from Asia to both to the UK and Spain. I could be very wrong though of course and I'm open minded

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes this is my problem with these theories. Found in Spanish collections does not mean they were made there or specifically for that market. Meccano Jawas on square cards were widely sold in the UK, that doesn't make them British, it was simply French overstock.

spoons

Grand Master
I wouldn't disagree with you Edd, but the amount of 'error' pbp Han hoths with stormtrooper blasters would at least suggest that the figures came from a different factory to the regular MIHK figures on the same cards. Feasibly a different factory in Hong Kong, but could also be a Spanish one that imported Palitoy cards.

You see a similar thing with Kenner 47 cards, loads of error weapons so someone somewhere got the wrong end of the stick. Is that one person in a factory getting things wrong, or is it a whole production line getting it wrong?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I'm no legal expert but I'm pretty sure even back then they would not have got away with printing one COO on the card and having a figure with a different COO packaged on to it. As you say could well be a different HK factory, we know there were a couple. But that doesn't make it a Spanish figure.

aussiejames

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
I'm no legal expert but I'm pretty sure even back then they would not have got away with printing one COO on the card and having a figure with a different COO packaged on to it. As you say could well be a different HK factory, we know there were a couple. But that doesn't make it a Spanish figure.

Not true, for example many trilogo MOC Biker Scouts & ATST drivers are Taiwan figures on 'HK' cards, tri Jawa card says Taiwan not a Taiwan figure, Droids Fett is either Hong Kong or Taiwan Fett- always a Taiwan card. Palitoy imported ALL their figures not sure why you would think some (many) did not come from Spain. You will not find 'PBP' figures (Spanish produced) on 'Kenner' Hong Kong cards.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
aussiejames said:
Pomse2001 said:
like some stormtroopers have been found on kenner cards with a pbp body and kenner legs and arms.

I would like to see that

Sure, always glad to help, I found it in a huge lot of moc here in denmark in 2013. The body is hard plastic, arms and legs are soft plastic.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
aussiejames said:
edd_jedi said:

Not true, for example many trilogo MOC Biker Scouts & ATST drivers are Taiwan figures on 'HK' cards, tri Jawa card says Taiwan not a Taiwan figure, Droids Fett is either Hong Kong or Taiwan Fett- always a Taiwan card. Palitoy imported ALL their figures not sure why you would think some (many) did not come from Spain. You will not find 'PBP' figures (Spanish produced) on 'Kenner' Hong Kong cards.

I agree, I have found some childhood lots with cardbacks and figures in denmark where coo was Taiwan and the card was HK etc. etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom