Header image

Gentle giant retro - what’s the vintage collector view?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Gentle giant retro - what’s the vintage collector view?

Postby Darth Bobby » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:33 pm

Love ‘em but don’t have the space. Nearly bought a Bossk, he’s so cool.

Tony jedi
Regular
Regular

Postby Tony jedi » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:13 am

Bad idea. I think the vintage era is losing its nostalgia as there is so much stuff out there now with a retro look and repro packaging I think it's damaging the feel and the nostalgia for everything that was available back in the day. The helix stationary is another example. The reprints of vintage marvel comics is another. Irrespective of wether or not there are small subtle markings to differentiate these to the originals vintage to me is losing out to all this mass produced modern reproduction fan wankery.
"As you wish"

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:41 am

SublevelStudios wrote:I used to collect them years ago, in fact my very first sales thread on SWFUK nearly 6 years ago was for these figures. I'd had enough of them and was shifting all my modern stuff to concentrate on vintage.

And I still have some of them safely in my collection Mark :D

I've picked up several of these over the years but agree with those that mentioned the space issue as I have nowhere to display them in their clamshells. At some point when I'm having a change around I'll probably display them loose (although I've still yet to put my complete vintage 12" loose run on display so they will have to wait their turn). Some of these work better than others for me and I've actually stayed away from the human characters as I find the flesh paint on the faces (and faces in general), look a bit off to me for some reason.

They are absolutely over priced for what they are but I picked some up in the US which helped justify the cost a bit. I can't see me really going for any more though as I don't have a focus figure to get and I think it's time for them to stop putting out Boba Fetts, what are we up to now, 5?! I know they have to recoup their costs but it's getting boring just putting out the same figure again and again with a different card image.

One thing I think they were on the right track with was the Santa Yoda that came with the mini Boba Fett (that makes 6!). A mini run of these would work for me as the cost would be low and there would be no problem displaying them. I might even go for a full run of these and just think, we could all trim the Christmas tree up with a 12 back set :D

Ian

Pulsar
Regular
Regular

Postby Pulsar » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:57 am

Tony jedi wrote:Bad idea. I think the vintage era is losing its nostalgia as there is so much stuff out there now with a retro look and repro packaging I think it's damaging the feel and the nostalgia for everything that was available back in the day. The helix stationary is another example. The reprints of vintage marvel comics is another. Irrespective of wether or not there are small subtle markings to differentiate these to the originals vintage to me is losing out to all this mass produced modern reproduction fan wankery.

That's a possibilty Tony but i actually think it works the other way.
These reproduced items (GG, Helix, comics) only add to the nostalgia IMO.
Some of the original pieces are out of range for some collectors so these modern takes bring more into the fold and create greater desire as and when they're in a position of more disposable income.

Don't forget the original stuff is finite and more items of them can never be reproduced.
Newer stuff can always be reproduced.
Wanting to buy:
Star Wars store displays
Battlestar Galactica
Buck Rogers
Clash of the Titans

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:36 am

I have R5 and looking for a good priced Droids 3 pack. Some are amazing whereas some are pretty poor. Bossk is awful.

chewbaccadave
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby chewbaccadave » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:16 am

Richard_H wrote:I have R5 and looking for a good priced Droids 3 pack. Some are amazing whereas some are pretty poor. Bossk is awful.

I got mine off Ian itfciain a while ago now but you never know viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23230&hilit=gentle+giant&start=15
cheers Dave.

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:02 am

Thanks I’ve hit him up
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

Ruby2511
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Ruby2511 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:21 am

Mate of mine loves them, mind you he does have a man cave to display them :lol:

Russ :D
Russ :D

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:59 pm

I really struggle with these for a lot of the reasons already listed above...
- The packaging is utterly awful
- Broadly speaking they take up a LOT of space
- The pricing is just stupidly high
- The resale market is even sillier
- SOME of the sculpts/paint apps are absolutely terrible
- It really annoys me (as a Han focus collector) that Han Solo is without doubt the worst of all of the entire range and the paint mask for the face was created by a really angry elf.... he looks truly evil and no vintage version in 3 3/4 scale I have seen looks anything like him facially.

HOWEVER...

I do own two, both are out of packaging (see above)
- Hammerhead - Actually I think it's truly stunning, it actually emphasises how good the original sculpt is/was. This one sits on my desk :D
- Rebel Soldier - possibly one of the only decent looking human figures, he sits in my Rebel Soldier cabinet.

I also covet some of the droids as well as 4-LOM and Zuckuss, just wish the pricing was more sensible as I would have to make space to put them in my collection and have to justify the spend too.
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”