Gentle giant retro - what’s the vintage collector view?

jayums

Jedi Master
Wondered what vintage collectors thought about the gentle giant retro line figures?

Never really paid much attention to modern stuff, but think the early bird 40th anniversary set looks cool, albeit a bit on the steep side...

(... I think I'd prefer to buy something that is actually vintage!)

Does anybody have them, or have an opinion about them? Are there any other modern 'retro' lines you like?

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
I love them, but I don't love the space they require and I also limit myself to about £60 a figure, which is why I only have three so far :D

chewbaccadave

Jedi Knight
I have really got into them lately and have spent most of my recent sales money on them.
I am awaiting delivery of Leia Hoth Dengar and the Early Bird Set
If anybody has any i don't available at decent prices please let me know :D ,cheers Dave.
The early bird set looks a big package!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWxDuGLkY_E&t=346s

JUMBO 3.JPG
JUMBO 2.JPG
JUMBO 1.JPG

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
The really are so cool, nothing more to be said :) do they do a Bossk? just ebay-ed it they do "the cost :eek: "

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I think they are cool, but I don't understand why they are so expensive. They should cost about £15-20 each brand new, similar in price to the 12" figures. Also I have looked at a few up close and haven't loved the sculpts.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
I used to collect them years ago, in fact my very first sales thread on SWFUK nearly 6 years ago was for these figures. I'd had enough of them and was shifting all my modern stuff to concentrate on vintage.

They are a very cool product and some of them are amazing - the Power Droid was my favourite. BUT some of them are pretty crap, GG can't even get the scaling/sculpting right in some instances and don't even get me started on some of the capes.

I used to display mine loose because the packaging is pretty **** IMO. The blisters damage and scuff so easily and they're a bitch to display and keep dust free. They should have done the packaging like the old 12" style boxes - this would have reduced the space it demands to display and also covered 2 vintage lines in one.

I also think they're over priced for what they are. When you can buy a Jakks figure twice the size and more articulation for less than half the cost it's clear GG are just looking to rinse their customers - they should be no more than $40 or have a low numbered release for what they charge.

chewbaccadave

Jedi Knight
edd_jedi said:
I think they are cool, but I don't understand why they are so expensive. They should cost about £15-20 each brand new, similar in price to the 12" figures. Also I have looked at a few up close and haven't loved the sculpts.

I know what you mean Edd but they're supposed to be digitally scanned and exact.I think it's the bigger they get the worse they look with the original 4" you get away with it,cheers Dave.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Not my cup of tea, I think they look shite. The figure and bubbles too big - not in scale with the card, the logo's too small and looks weird to the side. It's just all wrong to my eyes and way overpriced :wink:

jayums

Jedi Master
A mix of opinion then! Thanks all!

I like the box sets (early bird, droids, villains) more than the individual figures. Although looking at the jumbo early bird kit makes me realise I just don't have enough room to display, looks huge :shock: and agree with the comments about the price point ... Think I'd be all over them at 40-50 quid.

Pulsar

Jedi Knight
I can't help but agree with everything that's been said although i do love them.
Unfortunately i couldn't limit myself to just the one droid so it snowballed and like somebody else touched on, if i hadn't pulled the plug then i would have tried to go for the full run :?
Screenshot_20180629-182412.png
Screenshot_20180629-182424.png
Screenshot_20180629-182429.png
Screenshot_20180629-182435.png
Screenshot_20180629-182440.png
Screenshot_20180629-182445.png

chewbaccadave

Jedi Knight
Pulsar said:
I can't help but agree with everything that's been said although i do love them.
Unfortunately i couldn't limit myself to just the one droid so it snowballed and like somebody else touched on, if i hadn't pulled the plug then i would have tried to go for the full run :?

You have got some that i would love to have C-3P0,Greedo,Snaggletooth etc Awesome pics,cheers Dave.

Pulsar

Jedi Knight
chewbaccadave said:
You have got some that i would love to have C-3P0,Greedo,Snaggletooth etc Awesome pics,cheers Dave.

Your run and pieces aren't to be sniffed at either Dave 8)
I was forever at odds at what i wanted to do as had promised myself i would never buy modern again until these came out.

I decided i would sell them all except for the droids but R2 always remained elusive.

Regards
Paul

chewbaccadave

Jedi Knight
I got some nice deals (Or not if you think they should be £20 each!!! :D )
Ugnaught + Ackbar £91
Sandperson £52
Luke Hoth + Luke Bespin £120
Lando + Chewbacca + Rebel Soldier + Yak Face £185 Already had Yak Face so I E-bayed him for £63 so £122 eventually,cheers Dave.

Pulsar

Jedi Knight
chewbaccadave said:
I got some nice deals (Or not if you think they should be £20 each!!! :D )
Ugnaught + Ackbar £91
Sandperson £52
Luke Hoth + Luke Bespin £120
Lando + Chewbacca + Rebel Soldier + Yak Face £185 Already had Yak Face so I E-bayed him for £63 so £122 eventually,cheers Dave.

Some great deals there 8)
Nah, i never thought these should be 20 quid, maybe 30ish.
If they were the former then i reckon a few of us would have a full set :twisted:

Tony jedi

Padawan
Bad idea. I think the vintage era is losing its nostalgia as there is so much stuff out there now with a retro look and repro packaging I think it's damaging the feel and the nostalgia for everything that was available back in the day. The helix stationary is another example. The reprints of vintage marvel comics is another. Irrespective of wether or not there are small subtle markings to differentiate these to the originals vintage to me is losing out to all this mass produced modern reproduction fan wankery.

Palifan

Sith Lord
SublevelStudios said:
I used to collect them years ago, in fact my very first sales thread on SWFUK nearly 6 years ago was for these figures. I'd had enough of them and was shifting all my modern stuff to concentrate on vintage.

And I still have some of them safely in my collection Mark :D

I've picked up several of these over the years but agree with those that mentioned the space issue as I have nowhere to display them in their clamshells. At some point when I'm having a change around I'll probably display them loose (although I've still yet to put my complete vintage 12" loose run on display so they will have to wait their turn). Some of these work better than others for me and I've actually stayed away from the human characters as I find the flesh paint on the faces (and faces in general), look a bit off to me for some reason.

They are absolutely over priced for what they are but I picked some up in the US which helped justify the cost a bit. I can't see me really going for any more though as I don't have a focus figure to get and I think it's time for them to stop putting out Boba Fetts, what are we up to now, 5?! I know they have to recoup their costs but it's getting boring just putting out the same figure again and again with a different card image.

One thing I think they were on the right track with was the Santa Yoda that came with the mini Boba Fett (that makes 6!). A mini run of these would work for me as the cost would be low and there would be no problem displaying them. I might even go for a full run of these and just think, we could all trim the Christmas tree up with a 12 back set :D

Ian

Pulsar

Jedi Knight
Tony jedi said:
Bad idea. I think the vintage era is losing its nostalgia as there is so much stuff out there now with a retro look and repro packaging I think it's damaging the feel and the nostalgia for everything that was available back in the day. The helix stationary is another example. The reprints of vintage marvel comics is another. Irrespective of wether or not there are small subtle markings to differentiate these to the originals vintage to me is losing out to all this mass produced modern reproduction fan wankery.

That's a possibilty Tony but i actually think it works the other way.
These reproduced items (GG, Helix, comics) only add to the nostalgia IMO.
Some of the original pieces are out of range for some collectors so these modern takes bring more into the fold and create greater desire as and when they're in a position of more disposable income.

Don't forget the original stuff is finite and more items of them can never be reproduced.
Newer stuff can always be reproduced.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom