Full MOC run

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I recently landed the very last MOC I wanted to complete the various runs I was interested in which brought my tally up to 48 characters - half of the full run.
Whilst my intention was to stop at this point, the temptation to carry on and go for the lot is quite alluring! It would certainly be a cheaper half to collet but would mean having to buy a lot of cards I really have no desire to own individually.

Im not after advice as I'm pretty sure I'll stay put, but I wondered what other collectors thoughts were and how strong the urge would be to own a full run/set?

Shelling out for a madine must be such a quandary for the trilogo boys!

jayums

Jedi Master
I think that's the downside of collecting runs maybe?

Not quite in the same league I know, but I've nearly completed a very budget first 12 on any card inc reseals and I've got Jawa to get.

I'd rather spend the limited funds I have on other mocs and figures I like more, so i feel it becomes a bit of a chore rather than a pleasure?!

(But that said, if you've got a Jawa moc you wanna sell really cheaply, do feel free to PM me :lol: )

I think if I got to 48 and uncertain about what to do I'd just pick up bargains as and when they appear and are too good to turn down. The rest of the time I'd just look smug due to my epic collection :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I also try to do a full run, but most of the moc I have bought have been the cheaper ones and the more expensive ones are the ones I am missing. Not many left for £100 or less that I miss :(

I still miss about 40 then I have all 96. If I ever get the last 40 then I will maybe try to get the droids and ewoks since I also allready have some of them :lol:

I think there is still many cool figures after the first 48. But then again I also love Ewoks :lol: The only figures that I do not think is cool after the first 48 is Anakin, Prune Face, General Madine, Rebel Commando, Rancor Keeper, Han Solo Carbonite and Imperial Dignitary :lol:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Do it, it's the dream! I want to do it as close to debut cards as possible, but there are some I can't see me getting. Boba Fett, Anakin Skywalker and Yakface are the obviouse concerns. :lol: I kind of like the impossible challenge though, as I know it will be a liittle sad in a strange way if I ever do it.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
That's a good shout to chip away at a run by picking up bargains where you can, there's something so much more satisfying about spending time waiting for the right piece to come up.

Lars, why don't you trade some ewoks and droids Mocs for the ones you're missing? You could probably tick off at least 20 if you have a fett :lol:
BTW, the ones I have are mixed from over the full run not just the first half.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
Do it, it's the dream! I want to do it as close to debut cards as possible, but there are some I can't see me getting. Boba Fett, Anakin Skywalker and Yakface are the obviouse concerns. :lol: I kind of like the impossible challenge though, as I know it will be a liittle sad in a strange way if I ever do it.

I have been lucky enough to see a full run in the flesh and it was an awe inspiring sight but to do it on debut cards would be an Olympian sized challenge! How far off are you?

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Hey Scott. Hope you are well.

This used to be my goal, one character on any card.

I ended up resenting my collecting a little. I was buying stuff I didn't want because I had to tick boxes and it really sucks the fun out of it.

Yak face was always my Achilles. Always available, and always overpriced. I'm so glad I never got one.

I have sold all the stuff I didn't want, and have refined my collection down to what I actually like. I only have 6 Kenner cards now, out of about 60 Mocs, and I have several far rarer trilogos, Luke farm boy, Luke bespin, Luke hoth, erg, to name a few, that are far rarer and cooler than yak face ever was, and I didn't pay more for one than the shittiest yakni was ever offered. In fact most cost less than a nice resell that did the rounds on here a while back.

I have come to realise you need to collect what makes you happy, not what you think you should.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Mr-shifter said:
I have come to realise you need to collect what makes you happy, not what you think you should.

This should be number 1 of the 'ten commandments of collecting'.

**** knows what the other 9 are though.

Maybe 'Thou shalt not buy repro' should be on there for seconds.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Clarkspie&chips said:
theforceuk said:

I have been lucky enough to see a full run in the flesh and it was an awe inspiring sight but to do it on debut cards would be an Olympian sized challenge! How far off are you?

That must be some sight! I have 59 now, not all pure debut cards as in a, b and c. I don't have deep enough pockets for that.

I agree you should collect what makes you happy, I realised one day that I had been collecting most of my life but had never completed a run. Decided to go for the 12 backs and then the 20 backs and that's how the full run 'obsession' started for me. This year I have slowed right down, but will be back to it soon. Just going to see how far I can go really. Last year I picked up a 31a Bossk which is one of the rarest Kenner debut MOC if not the rarest, so you never know what's around the corner.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just to echo what has already been said, when I got back into collecting again I bought because I felt I had to because I didn't have that MOC.
Now I am only buying what makes me happy to own, no runs, no list, no nothing! :wink:
I couldn't have sumed it up better
What ever you decide to do enjoy it!

MarkG

Jedi Master
I owned a full 96 set up till 2003... sold them off as I went in a different direction.. always regretted it as had some real gems in there... but also a fair few TTs that wasn't world news back then too.

Now owing my second set is a mixture of thoughts.... since having our little one the temptation to sell up is highly likely in the near future but also I know I'll regret it again...

Might have to find another 'cheaper' focus if they do go.

Plastikheld

Jedi Knight
For me it's the same, but still working on some small runs.
I think a full MOC run (one of every character counts for me) would be nice, but it had to happen coincidentally.
I would not hunt down for the last 10 or 15 cards and spending a fortune on those.
... let's see how I think about it, when there are 10 MOCs missing for a full run. :wink:
There's so much cool stuff in the hobby to collect.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I must admit I'm starting to think do I really need them all. I had a full set about 10 years ago, and I'm currently one away again (just need a fixed limbs 3PO.) But MOCs take up so much space I'm starting to think about thinning out. I'm never going to complete the trilogo run as I won't pay 10 grand for a Madine.

That's another moan of mine, why are star cases so deep? There aren't any vintage figures with bubbles six inches deep. If star cases were only a couple of CM deep which would fit 99% of vintage MOCs, it would more than halve the amount of storage space they take up.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I thought I wouldn't be the only one feeling the temptation of collecting them all, Kenner's marketing executives did such a good job they still have us under their spell 40 years later!

You're absolutely right though Ben, tick box collecting can easily become a drag, especially when individual items are overpriced or lacklustre. But the joy (and relief!) of finally ticking them all off and looking at a completed run somehow appeals to me more than the individual parts so I can totally understand the desire to go all the way.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Clarkspie&chips said:
That's a good shout to chip away at a run by picking up bargains where you can, there's something so much more satisfying about spending time waiting for the right piece to come up.

Lars, why don't you trade some ewoks and droids Mocs for the ones you're missing? You could probably tick off at least 20 if you have a fett :lol:
BTW, the ones I have are mixed from over the full run not just the first half.

Well I have never thought about trade or selling the Ewoks or Droid moc that I have. I even have 2, 3 or 4 moc of the same figure between some of the moc I have, but they are not with the same cardback. But I could also sell or trade them to get some of the last 40 that I am missing. But I must admit so far I can't do it, It just fell wrong to sell or trade them away at the moment. But I have traded my 3 potf moc to a tri-logo and a meccano moc because potf moc do not mean anything to me since I did not see any in my childhood. I never saw potf for sale in denmark in the 80s. Sorry no fett, could be cool to have a Fett :D I have Kea Moll, Kez Iban, Thall Joben and King Gorneesh moc.

Mine are also mixed, but most of them is ROTJ or Tri-logo I also have some ESB, but I do not have any SW moc.

I have been waiting for bargains so far it has taken me 17 years to get the moc I have and I have done a few bargains. The best was a lot of about 35 moc where I could use most of them in my collection.

So have you thought about what you would do ?

subzero

Sith Lord
I was also starting to go down the path of acquiring as many trilogo's as I could, but unfortunately iv'e had a sudden shift in financial priorities this summer out of the blue and have decided to stop buying any more and also thin down my collection. Iv'e sold off all the ones I bought just for the sake of building up a collection and kept all the ones that actually mean the most to me, iv'e done the same with my complete loose collection too, iv'e sold off all the ones I never had / played with as a kid ( and there was a lot of them ), and ended up just keeping all the nostalgic pieces.

I understand now though for the first time since collecting vintage SW after reading about people on here buying a figure for the intention of selling on or swapping, but then can't bring themselves get rid of it because they love it too much :lol: I also felt the same way when packaging up what iv'e collected over the past year or so to send them off to the buyers, I felt a bit gutted that I was letting them go, but financial priorities overrules everything sometimes. :cry:

Large amounts of money are in some of these old toys just sitting there and sometimes it just has to be used, but at least we get to enjoy them for a while, after all iv'e always said my whole life we don't own anything anyway, we're only renting these possessions while we're here and eventually one day through choice or not, they will all be given back to someone else.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I only started collecting MOCs this year. I'd had a Logray, Prune Face and battered POTF Lumat for ages but they didn't do anything for my collection in my eyes, so I sold them off.

I decided I was going to try and do an offerless 20/21 Back run as it'll be an ongoing long-term challenge, plus I love all the first 21. All my favourite figures, with the exception of one or two, are from this era. I also absolutely adore the huge SW logo on the cards and a lot of my favourite card back artwork comes from this run too (which is strange as I'm pretty sure I would never of seen the SW artwork as a kid growing up in the Jedi era).

It's funny I have 5 20/21 backs so far and none of them are my favourite card back arts. But I do have one of my least favourite card Back arts (Ben Kenobi)... or so I thought... I reckon it's my favourite MOC at the moment. :D

Despite going for 20/21 backs my first MOC purchased this year was a Luke Jedi because he is my favourite figure along with Yoda (outside of the first 21). Recently when I picked up 3 21 backs in the same week I told myself I would need to sell him to fund the purchases. But I just couldn't bring myself to sell him (and I guess that's because I have been buying stuff that I actually want rather than what I think I should want, have been told is cool, or started a run that contains stuff I'm not interested in).

I would just pick up stuff you like from now on, rather than set yourself targets that include figures you're not interested in. It could just be MOCs you like, like Yoda, TFP, At At Commander etc... or maybe a small run like the bounty hunters.

The great thing about collecting is, it can be about whatever you want it to be... and even better, you can just get rid of the stuff that doesn't make you happy. Just don't make any rash decisions.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
So Edd you have nearly a full trilogo run plus the extras for nearly a full 96 run as well as your 70b/70c focus? That's a lot of Mocs so it's probalby a good job you don't collect anything else like vintage computer games. :wink:

When the trilogy was released on DVD, Woolworths did a promo that came with a free Darth Vader. This was in a nice skinny Star case that fitted tightly to the moc. I also have a similar case with some of the Macquarie concept figures so there must be a manufacturer out there that does make smaller cases.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I think anyone who starts collecting Mocs will have the thought cross their mind about getting all the figures carded or some sort of completed run. It's human nature, collector mentality. But not everyone is the completist. It's not easy, especially on their film cards let alone debut cards. I started buying loads of Jedi Mocs and although I just wanted all my favourites to begin with, I then started thinking maybe I could go for a 79 run on Jedi cards. I had 40 but soon realised it was going to take too long, too much money and it wasn't for me. I don't need 40 Mocs, defo don't need 79! I'm now selling some and having a rethink. I'm going to keep the ones I really like and have some variety even among the Jedi cards with different backs, offers, Kenner, Palitoy etc. For me it is no fun to be on a big mission to complete things all the time, it's boring. It's more interesting to collect lots of different things and be free to change your mind and buy whatever takes your fancy. As mentioned collect whatever you like. I'm getting into cardbacks, never would have thought that. You get the visual aspect of the card for about 1/10 of the price. And I'm interested in the back of them, not the front. Sounds like you already have a fat Moc collection Scott! Well done, good achievement 48 :eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom