Mattel Star Wars figures...?

subzero

Sith Lord
After a little reading through a retro toy magazine in the MOTU article I noticed it says how Mattel passed up on producing the original Star Wars toys, what a wounding move for them :lol: but this is something I never knew about.

So today in an alternate reality if things turned out their way back then we could be looking at a Mattel logo on MOC's right now ( for U.S. toys at least anyway ) and it makes me wonder how things may have turned out design wise. I'm assuming Kenner were the guys who actually designed the original toys?, so could our beloved vintage figures have turned out to look closer to Masters of The Universe and hench as ****?, basically bringing us POTF2 but in the 70's?.. Or they could have ended up being sculpted in realistic proportion but just looking more 'cartoon like' and more 'fun' for kids?, we may not have even ended up with the classic miniature 3 3/4 inch scale figures, but 5 or 6 inch instead.

Thoughts and possible theories?

DSCF9010.JPG

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Mego also passed on the license. Would have been cool to see a range of clothed figures and larger vehicles for them, a landspeeder would have been awesome.

Mattel would have ****ed it up, like they did with the Galactica range, the only thing they did get right was the cardback artwork for Clash Of The Titans, which IMO, is the most beautiful bit of packaging illustration ever - the Kraken box is breathtaking.

subzero

Sith Lord
SublevelStudios said:
Mego also passed on the license. Would have been cool to see a range of clothed figures and larger vehicles for them, a landspeeder would have been awesome.

Mattel would have ****ed it up, like they did with the Galactica range, the only thing they did get right was the cardback artwork for Clash Of The Titans, which IMO, is the most beautiful bit of packaging illustration ever - the Kraken box is breathtaking.

Oh yeah I read about Mego too, would have been a shame if someone else got hold of the licence and ruined what actually turned out to be a phenomenon with Kenner, imagine if the toys failed how different things could have been... :shock:

Never seen that Kraken box, just had a look on google and it is fantastic, I also do love MOTU packaging though it has to be my favourite toy packaging of all time, some of the artwork is beautiful on the boxes too.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes the Clash of the titans range is awesome

http://www.plaidstallions.com/mattel/clash.html

I think the Kenner route gave us so many unique attributes to the fresh approach to figures that we were v lucky it went this way and we collect the vintage figures we do now. At the time kids had figures designed to fit into ships and playsets which was a whole new world. Thank goodness we have what we have now :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom