Header image

Fake Darth Vader vinyl cape ? HELP

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Fake Darth Vader vinyl cape ? HELP

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:02 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:I have two PBP Vaders with the smooth both sides cape. One is softer and more flexible (similar to a zip cape), while the other is more rigid (similar to the rugose PBP cape), just like you. Of the two, the softer is from a childhood collection which I purchased along with the original PBP cardback. I can not say for sure if the more rigid is 100% original. However, the pattern on both sides of the cape is similar and reflect what is seen in Javi’s book.

I apologise in advance for these photos (I really need to upgrade my phone).

On the first pic, which is the softer cape, you can see what looks like an overall horizontal pattern, but if you look closely (directly below the hole in the lighter area) matches the vertical pattern from Javi’s book.

On the second pic you can see the same pattern where the light catches it near the left hand edge on the more rigid cape at the front.

It is my intentions to get all 6 capes I have, examined by Javi for authenticity, as I believe I have all three known PBP capes, as well as a couple of dubious ones.

I hope this helps in some small way. :? :D

Thanks mate, I will take a look and then I will try to get some power on my camera and take some new pictures of my capes for the thread :wink:

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:41 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:I have two PBP Vaders with the smooth both sides cape. One is softer and more flexible (similar to a zip cape), while the other is more rigid (similar to the rugose PBP cape), just like you. Of the two, the softer is from a childhood collection which I purchased along with the original PBP cardback. I can not say for sure if the more rigid is 100% original. However, the pattern on both sides of the cape is similar and reflect what is seen in Javi’s book.

I apologise in advance for these photos (I really need to upgrade my phone).

On the first pic, which is the softer cape, you can see what looks like an overall horizontal pattern, but if you look closely (directly below the hole in the lighter area) matches the vertical pattern from Javi’s book.

On the second pic you can see the same pattern where the light catches it near the left hand edge on the more rigid cape at the front.

It is my intentions to get all 6 capes I have, examined by Javi for authenticity, as I believe I have all three known PBP capes, as well as a couple of dubious ones.

I hope this helps in some small way. :? :D

Here are some new pictures of the first cape what do you think can you see anything good ? :?

P1160951.JPG

P1160950.JPG

P1160949.JPG

P1160948.JPG

P1160947.JPG

P1160946.JPG

P1160945.JPG

P1160944.JPG

P1160943.JPG

P1160942.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Here are 2 more pictures of the same cape

P1160952.JPG

P1160953.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:00 pm

4th pic down suggests appearance of horizontal pattern, 7th pic down shows vertical striations. I would say it demonstrates similar characteristics to mine and those in Javi’s book. But I can’t say for sure. It’s hard from photos and not in hand. As mentioned I will be seeking clarification of both these and my 4 pbp / Poch variant Hoth Stormtrooper skirts. Javi offers a checking service as well as certificates of authentication. Failing that you could post on the Echo Vintage Variant Group, formerly Galaxy Corp, with a lot of PBP experience.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:03 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:4th pic down suggests appearance of horizontal pattern, 7th pic down shows vertical striations. I would say it demonstrates similar characteristics to mine and those in Javi’s book. But I can’t say for sure. It’s hard from photos and not in hand. As mentioned I will be seeking clarification of both these and my 4 pbp / Poch variant Hoth Stormtrooper skirts. Javi offers a checking service as well as certificates of authentication. Failing that you could post on the Echo Vintage Variant Group, formerly Galaxy Corp, with a lot of PBP experience.

Thanks mate, so some of the pictures make the cape look real, I guess they do not make fake/repro capes so good yet ? :?

Can Javi ID them from a picture ?

Here are pictures of the other cape, do you see anything good on that cape ?

It can look a little bit like the palitoy cape, but I can only see the leather pattern with the camera on a picture. Palitoy capes pattern I can see when I have the cape in my hands, so it confuse me and the cape is very stiff :?

P1160965.JPG

P1160963.JPG

P1160962.JPG

P1160960.JPG

P1160959.JPG

P1160958.JPG

P1160957.JPG

P1160956.JPG

P1160955.JPG

P1160954.JPG

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Last picture of the 2nd cape :D

P1160966.JPG

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:44 pm

The pattern is more clearly visible on this one. Again I can see similarities with the capes I have. Regarding the pattern on the childhood Vader I purchased, it is only visible when examined under a magnifying glass, shot with a good camera, or with a naked eye in good daylight when viewed from the right angle.

In my opinion I see more positives then negatives with your two capes and would tend to believe genuine, but I am no expert, just a Spanish line fan.

I have one cape that has come with a pbp Vader which I’m positive is Repro and will try photographing tomorrow. It is much much thinner and mimics the rugose capes more than the smooth both sides variant.

Regarding Javi, he would be able to give you an opinion from photographs though I feel he would prefer better quality imagery. Yours like mine, could do with a better lens :lol: For true validity he would want cape in hand.

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:47 pm

I keep meaning to ask, did they come with saber and do you have shots?

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:19 am

TheJabbaWookie wrote:The pattern is more clearly visible on this one. Again I can see similarities with the capes I have. Regarding the pattern on the childhood Vader I purchased, it is only visible when examined under a magnifying glass, shot with a good camera, or with a naked eye in good daylight when viewed from the right angle.

In my opinion I see more positives then negatives with your two capes and would tend to believe genuine, but I am no expert, just a Spanish line fan.

I have one cape that has come with a pbp Vader which I’m positive is Repro and will try photographing tomorrow. It is much much thinner and mimics the rugose capes more than the smooth both sides variant.

Regarding Javi, he would be able to give you an opinion from photographs though I feel he would prefer better quality imagery. Yours like mine, could do with a better lens :lol: For true validity he would want cape in hand.

Thanks, then I guess they are real, but now comes the big question. Could this 2 figures with the same coo have been sold with 2 different capes ? :? I am also not an expert, just a variant collector :lol: What did confuse me was the no zip sound capes because I have only seen and heard about the lili ledy as the only smooth cape with no zip sound and it is also the only one I have in my collection, I also have rugose capes but they are not smooth :lol:

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:23 am

TheJabbaWookie wrote:I keep meaning to ask, did they come with saber and do you have shots?

I bought them from a guy in spain, both of them but they were without sabers :( but I am still happy that I got a coo that I was missing and maybe 2 new original cape variants that I have never seen before :shock:

I will check the figures better later today, maybe they are different even with the same coo :?

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:39 am

Well there’s definitely one pbp smooth both sides non zipping cape. I’ll update this thread when I’ve sent mine to Javi (though I’ve no idea when I’ll get round to it!)

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:21 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:Well there’s definitely one pbp smooth both sides non zipping cape. I’ll update this thread when I’ve sent mine to Javi (though I’ve no idea when I’ll get round to it!)

thanks mate :wink: Hope the cape will not get lost in the mail :wink:

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:53 pm

I have now compared both figures and the only difference I can see is the hilt is much shorter than on the other figure and both arms are very lose on one figure and not lose on the other, the same coo but 2 different capes. Ok if they are original the seller could have changed the capes and also a kid could but they were not easy to remove from the vader figures. Like they have been there for a long time :?

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”